Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Re-signs Jankowski [2 years @ 1.675mil AAV]

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No, it doesn't because Feaster deserves to be ridiculed for picking player projected to go late 3rd round at #21. That line is as hilarious now as it was 5 years ago and it was bound to be unless Jankowski actually came close to being the best player in the draft.

Feaster deserves a lot of ridicule, this is true. Worst GM the Flames had; and just a bumbling idiot that made all of us fans nervous. That essential 'he might do anything, and it'll be bad' type GM.

That all being said, after trading up; after Jankowski the only names of note that are an upgrade on him is Maatta and Skjei. Both D; and the Flames are kind of full up on those as is. The smart move would have simply been sticking to the original pick, grabbing the faller (Tuevo Taravainen) and moving on from there. Flames could use a high end offensive piece like TT.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
That all being said, after trading up; after Jankowski the only names of note that are an upgrade on him is Maatta and Skjei. Both D; and the Flames are kind of full up on those as is.
Doesnt change the point of what you are saying but that Matheson guy is getting 5 mil per year in Florida and seems to be worth it..

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No, it doesn't because Feaster deserves to be ridiculed for picking player projected to go late 3rd round at #21. That line is as hilarious now as it was 5 years ago and it was bound to be unless Jankowski actually came close to being the best player in the draft.
Feaster isn't with the team anymore. What exactly is the point in regurgitating the same stupid comment multiple times anytime Jankowski is named? Do you really think Feaster gives two shits what a bunch of nobodies on a message board say?

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I don't mind the best player of the 2012 draft sneers since he was the best player drafted in Alberta that year and considering our respective draft spots, I can keep smiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He probably will end up being the best player from that draft. Look at him. He's filled out that frame, he looks big. He looks good in his equipment and uniform. He's lanky, he's got hands. He wears 77. Looks good.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He probably will end up being the best player from that draft. Look at him. He's filled out that frame, he looks big. He looks good in his equipment and uniform. He's lanky, he's got hands. He wears 77. Looks good.

On a high note, he has a chance to be a top 15 player from his draft if he continues to develop. That's okay value from the 21st pick at the draft.
He's never going to catch guys like Lindholm, Forsberg, Parayko, Ghost, Andersen, Slavin, Hellebyuk, Vasilevskiy, Reilly, Trouba or Dumba; but he'll be in that next tier. IF he was drafted where he should have been (late 2nd, early 3rd) this would have been a great pick in that range; the issue was the reach and the outlandish comments from the Feaster clown.

Reactions: TychoFan

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't think it was that ridiculous a statement. People questioned his pick, but he believed in his player. He could be a future captain.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box

Care to back that up with any facts? Or are you just making shit up to fit your narrative?

I know what my money is on.......

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he was in the 40s for NA skaters rankings, if i recall mocks had him in the 2nd

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Care to back that up with any facts? Or are you just making **** up to fit your narrative?

I know what my money is on.......

Most projections had him around that 55-65 mark.
He certainly was a big reach at that time, but there was talk that he wouldn't have made it to 42; where Calgary was picking next.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
****, why don't we just swing a trade? That unprotected first, we give you Janko. You get him at a better cap and he'll still be RFA after the deal :naughty:

Under 4.059M per year it's a second round pick not a first.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pretty cheap for a 17 goal rookie season. This is still a player with a lot of potential.

Needs to work on his assertiveness with and without the puck. Could definitely see a 40 pt season in the next couple.

Reactions: ck26

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Most projections had him around that 55-65 mark.
He certainly was a big reach at that time, but there was talk that he wouldn't have made it to 42; where Calgary was picking next.

Exactly. A far cry from a late third.

I actually have no issue with the pick. Given our past drafting record, and the fact that he is looking to be a serviceable 2/3 line center, I'll take that all day long!

Reactions: Rockmorton

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm surprised he came in over 1.5, since his rookie season was pretty disappointing for someone of his ability level, especially away from Bennett. Still, glad to have him locked up for two more years. When (not if) he blows up, this will be a steal. He's like a centre version of Blake Wheeler.

Can't wait to see that with a guy like Czarnik, Frolik, or Ryan instead of Garnet Hathaway!

Reactions: Rockmorton

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Met Jank at the resort we were at for my buddy’s wedding in April, he was there for the same we week we were.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Consensual picks are useless past the top 3-5, every team has a couple of highly scouted off the board players each draft,sometimes they get them and often not, every year there are players that have fans shaking their heads but in the end the team scouts are there for a reason.

Reports are Jankowski may not have made it past St.Louis and the Rangers, Montreal scouted him the most as his uncle Ryan was their scout and it's said they were really bummed they didn't get him with their 2nd pick early in the 2nd round.

And what's hilarious about the line is most people don't even know it! :rolleyes:

Feaster was just relaying what his assistant GM told him. nothing more.
"John Weisbrod said to me Mark Jankowski could turn out to be the best player in this draft in 10 years" "We felt we could take the gamble."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad