Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Ramus Andersson signs extension (6 years, $4.55M AAV)

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I won't say it's high risk, but it's a medium risk high reward. If he stalls out at where he is (basically a #4 D), than it's a slight overpayment, but not bad. If he regresses at all, it's a bad signing (and all it takes is one or two injuries). But if he keeps developing (especially since he's primed for more ice-time next year, and possibly a role on the PK and a bigger role on the PP) this will look like a steal in a couple years. Kind of like Josi was when he first signed his contract (Ras's is about half a mil higher, but is actually a smaller percent of cap space when the contract was signed).

Reactions: Schred

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Andersson plays with Gio occasionally. Brodie gets that spot most of the time, but when the coach wants to change it up, he generally will only swap Brodie/Andersson.

Hanifin/Hamonic are never touched, and whoever the #6 is, Kylington or Stone, isn't good enough to play a regular shift on the top pair.

Andersson is. He's not as good as Brodie, but he can do it.

And they need to be. They need to be physically separated. Ripped apart. Not even allowed in the same room anymore

Ledge And Dairy

And they need to be. They need to be physically separated. Ripped apart. Not even allowed in the same room anymore
Please put Ras back with Hanifin, they were great together when Hamonic was injured. Put Hammer on with Kylington and teach him how to play more defensive. Hanifin and Hamonic should only play together when we slot in Stone to keep his legs fresh.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Lol. How so? He's already playing a solid 2nd pairing game, and looks like he could develop into a 1st pairing guy.

There is risk with any young player, that they don't pan out. At 4.5 he's at worst a slightly overpaid 4/5 guy.

id assume he’s similar to pelech at the time of his extension who got 1.6 for 4 years so this seems like a lot to me

admittedly don’t know anything about this player though

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Great signing. In two years, Hanifin, Valimaki and Andersson will make a great top 3. Hanifin and Andersson looked their best when playing together this season when Hamonic was injured. With Gio as a mentor these young kids will continue to develop

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
id assume he’s similar to pelech at the time of his extension who got 1.6 for 4 years so this seems like a lot to me

admittedly don’t know anything about this player though
Lol no.

Pelech signed a four year contract after only ever playing a half season in the NHL. Obviously that worked out very well for the Isles. Also no ufa years bought.

Andersson signed a six year contract after having a much more established NHL career. This contract goes well into ufa.

Pelech's next contract after next season will be much closer to a comparable to this current Andersson contract. Pelech will re-sign for much more than his current contract.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This seems pretty crazy to me. Young player still. Thought he had top 4 potential and could still.
But he is 5th in TOI of their d-men. So how does that make him top 4?
He's got the 2nd worst +/- of d-men at -11 on the team. And sure, it's not a great stat, but it's still the 2nd worst and it's not like he's playing a lot of minutes. Giordano is and he's a +1
His points aren't impressive. It's not really a lack of PP time. Brodie has less PP time with more points.
He's last on the team in PK time of regular d-men. So doesn't seem like he's trusted much.
Not saying he can't grow, but this seems like a big gamble.

This is the most "I checked out hockeyDB, let me make a hot take here." post on this thread.
#greatwork #congrats

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I dont get how teams will be under the cap in a couple years when contracts like these are so commom for young guys. These contracts are massive and the cap barely goes up at all yearly.

Good on Rasmus getting this deal and sure it is all about comparisons and all that, but in a whole, the league and all its teams are quickly running out of room cap wise.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I dont get how teams will be under the cap in a couple years when contracts like these are so commom for young guys. These contracts are massive and the cap barely goes up at all yearly.

Good on Rasmus getting this deal and sure it is all about comparisons and all that, but in a whole, the league and all its teams are quickly running out of room cap wise.

If you can get someone who could play in a 23 and younger tournament, who's already a capable top 4 guy; and you can sign him to under 5million on a longterm deal, you do it every single time.

You try getting those types of players in FA, who are 5 years older, and limited as to how much they can improve, you tend to be looking at 5+ running towards 6 these days.

Reactions: Groane and TychoFan

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

I'm guessing this contract may be a sign Hamonic won't be back. Love his effort and he seems like a nice guy, but I don't think he's a great fit for the Flames. He just doesn't seem good at the transition game which is a big negative these days.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Lol no.

Pelech signed a four year contract after only ever playing a half season in the NHL. Obviously that worked out very well for the Isles. Also no ufa years bought.

Andersson signed a six year contract after having a much more established NHL career. This contract goes well into ufa.

Pelech's next contract after next season will be much closer to a comparable to this current Andersson contract. Pelech will re-sign for much more than his current contract.

pretty sure he’s better than Anderson by a decent margin as well though. This contract seems like way too much but I assume management knows what they’re doing.

highly doubt he’s been able to show that much defensively in 130 nhl games to earn almost a 30 mil ticket

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He's still only 23, he'll still improve and he'll be locked in for his prime years.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
My issue is Hanifin's deal got the same response and he has been meh this year. Not a fan of these deals off the ELC for D that haven't solidified themselves as a top pairing D.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
My issue is Hanifin's deal got the same response and he has been meh this year. Not a fan of these deals off the ELC for D that haven't solidified themselves as a top pairing D.

What top pairing D have signed for under 5 in 2018-2020?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
These deals with young defensemen always have a bit of risk, but a high reward element to them. Pesce and Slavin got deals like this, albeit they were more proven in that they had played a couple seasons in the top 4 (top pairing for some of it) and had faced opposing teams top competition regularly where-as Andersson hasn't. In fairness, the Flames are deeper on D now than the Canes were back when Slavin and Pesce first joined the team. It worked out great there. Brady Skjei had a great rookie season, although he was more sheltered in his role that season. He's struggled more after having to take on a bigger role (albeit, the Rangers got worse at the same time). He seems to be doing better now though.

If Andersson can continue his level of play in a permanent top 4 role, which he should be able to do, this contract will look good, and even better if he progresses.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
What top pairing D have signed for under 5 in 2018-2020?

I meant giving term not the AAV.

Fair point. I think for $4.55, it is a low risk deal even if he "just" becomes a top 4 D.

Yup, I can see why they pulled the trigger on this given the risk vs reward. Just think some are being maybe a little naive about the risk aspect by assuming development is linear and that regression to the mean (after 40 games) hasn't happened with young players.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
pretty sure he’s better than Anderson by a decent margin as well though. This contract seems like way too much but I assume management knows what they’re doing.

highly doubt he’s been able to show that much defensively in 130 nhl games to earn almost a 30 mil ticket

Pelech is currently ahead of Andersson today, sure. He is also two years ahead developmentally.

You could easily argue that Rasmus is currently ahead of where Pelech was at the same age however and has shown to have more two way upside in his game as well.

Regardless just because the Islanders managed to sign Pelech to an incredibly advantageous contract does not mean that every team will have the luxury to do so. Pelech has played well and above that contract - much like most project Andersson doing by the end of this deal.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Honestly didn't think we would get him long term unless is was at least 6. Love this signing. Moose is a beauty.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I'm surprised the Sabres didn't try to trade for him and hold their monopoly on all the Rasmus' in the league.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Hanifin would get his current contract on the open market right now. I agree he's been pretty meh, but he's still a solid top 4 d-man.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Sure...maybe he is better by a significant margin.

I really don't see who the deal relates at all. Calgary could have signed Anderssson for a lower amount for a shorter term. They chose to lock him up longer for a larger amount, as they anticipated that he will easily be worth more than 4.5 million in a couple of years. With the way contracts and Andersson's play is going, I agree with Calgary management.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I like Ras. Real solid in his own zone and has offensive upside. Imagine our young blueline if we hadn't made the terrible Hamonic trade and had drafted Dobson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad