Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Ramus Andersson signs extension (6 years, $4.55M AAV)

spfan

May 4, 2009
This seems pretty crazy to me. Young player still. Thought he had top 4 potential and could still.
But he is 5th in TOI of their d-men. So how does that make him top 4?
He's got the 2nd worst +/- of d-men at -11 on the team. And sure, it's not a great stat, but it's still the 2nd worst and it's not like he's playing a lot of minutes. Giordano is and he's a +1
His points aren't impressive. It's not really a lack of PP time. Brodie has less PP time with more points.
He's last on the team in PK time of regular d-men. So doesn't seem like he's trusted much.
Not saying he can't grow, but this seems like a big gamble.

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
Would just like to know why he has a plus/minus of -11? Is he a shutdown guy, aka consistently put out against opponents top line?

Hes been primarily on the 3rd line with Kylington and the odd time hes thrown out with Gio on line one. Hes not completely polished defensively, but he plays the game super smart and rarely makes bad plays which is bound to happen from a young dman in his second nhl season and he has a really good shot both wrister and clapper. I think if he wasnt on a pair for the majority of the time with Kylington who is a young nhl dman with huge potential, but is making those mistakes he is a plus player and not a -11. Im not saying Andersson is Gio, but if we said Gio was the all round dman and Brodie is the run and gun dman who may make mistakes on the third pairing then Andersson plays the role of Gio and Kylington is Brodie only Andersson hasnt been around long enough to bail out Kylington the way Gio bails out Brodie when needed.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Judging a defenseman on a team that has inconsistent forwards by +/- really won't tell you the full story. Getting him ling term while he is on a strong path of development where he could end up as a top pairing d-man as a smart move instead of paying him less now so we can pay him a lot more later.

Ok, thanks. I remember 4 years ago Alec Martinez signed a 6 year deal at 4 mil per with the Kings. A few thought that was too much, but he had just come off a great Stanley Cup run in '14. I thought then it was a good deal and it has turned into just that.

Reactions: Mazatt

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Hes been primarily on the 3rd line with Kylington and the odd time hes thrown out with Gio on line one. Hes not completely polished defensively, but he plays the game super smart and rarely makes bad plays which is bound to happen from a young dman in his second nhl season and he has a really good shot both wrister and clapper. I think if he wasnt on a pair for the majority of the time with Kylington who is a young nhl dman with huge potential, but is making those mistakes he is a plus player and not a -11. Im not saying Andersson is Gio, but if we said Gio was the all round dman and Brodie is the run and gun dman who may make mistakes on the third pairing then Andersson plays the role of Gio and Kylington is Brodie only Andersson hasnt been around long enough to bail out Kylington the way Gio bails out Brodie when needed.

Thanks for your answer amigo!

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Would just like to know why he has a plus/minus of -11? Is he a shutdown guy, aka consistently put out against opponents top line?

He’s 5th in average ice time on the flames D, doesn’t play PK and does not spend a lot of time against top-line or top6 forwards. Most of his ice time is against bottom6 forwards.

anderra96

So no, he’s not a shutdown defenseman consistently playing against top lines

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
This seems pretty crazy to me. Young player still. Thought he had top 4 potential and could still.
He's got the 2nd worst +/- of d-men at -11 on the team. And sure, it's not a great stat, but it's still the 2nd worst and it's not like he's playing a lot of minutes. Giordano is and he's a +1
His points aren't impressive. It's not really a lack of PP time. Brodie has less PP time with more points.
He's last on the team in PK time of regular d-men. So doesn't seem like he's trusted much.
He averages 19 minutes of ice time, so fairly even between him and the other two RHD on the team. He is top 4 because he is honest to god better than Hamonic who is in the top 4 right now and almost better than Brodie, however they are both locked into pairings for one reason or another so Andersson is on the third pairing but he also gets plenty of ice time.

Andersson also plays on the 2nd PP unit which doesn't generate a lot of goals but he is more than likely involved if they do. However the offensive numbers don't mean much since his main strength currently is his defensive game. One thing about the Flames if they have a lot of capable minutes and playing Andersson on the PK over Hamonic, Giordano, Brodie, or Hanafin is a tough sell when all four are good to great defenseman in their own right and have been in the league for longer, since Andersson is still somewhat raw defensively. And in regards to him being trusted, he is out there with the extra men if the Flames need a goal pretty consistently, which shows a lot of trust being put in him that way.

Not saying you're wrong about anything there, just some explanations for the discrepancy in the stats.

Cruznoost

Feb 6, 2018

A lot of those numbers came when the whole team was struggling...Hens “whole team”
When the forwards aren’t doing the job defensively, it can bring down the plus minus for whoever’s on ice and doesn’t mean it was Rasmus’s fault for the puck going in the net...
I watch every game and Rasmus is a serious stud!!! Straight up and in a year or two the signing is gonna really showcase how brilliant Tre really is...

spfan

May 4, 2009
He averages 19 minutes of ice time, so fairly even between him and the other two RHD on the team. He is top 4 because he is honest to god better than Hamonic who is in the top 4 right now and almost better than Brodie, however they are both locked into pairings for one reason or another so Andersson is on the third pairing but he also gets plenty of ice time.

Andersson also plays on the 2nd PP unit which doesn't generate a lot of goals but he is more than likely involved if they do. However the offensive numbers don't mean much since his main strength currently is his defensive game. One thing about the Flames if they have a lot of capable minutes and playing Andersson on the PK over Hamonic, Giordano, Brodie, or Hanafin is a tough sell when all four are good to great defenseman in their own right and have been in the league for longer, since Andersson is still somewhat raw defensively. And in regards to him being trusted, he is out there with the extra men if the Flames need a goal pretty consistently, which shows a lot of trust being put in him that way.

Not saying you're wrong about anything there, just some explanations for the discrepancy in the stats.

I get some points. But people claiming he's top 4 and yet also top pairing. Contradicts each other too.
He could overtake some spots eventually, but right now he's definitely not someone who gets a lot of mins. PP or PK.

Reactions: Red

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
Pretty fair deal from the games I have watched and a decent bet to pay off on the backend of the contract.

That said, not too pumped about what the Oilers will have to pay Nurse and Bear based on this contract......

Reactions: Dan403

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Good deal considering it buys 2 years of UFA. Not going to blow smoke and pretend Raz is better than Gio or Brodie, but he gives Hanifin a run for his money (though more due to Hanifin being more inconsistent than Raz, rather than Raz outplaying Noah) and is definitely better than Hamonic, Kylington and Stone.

I still feel like Valimaki will be tops on the Flames in 3 years, but Valimaki, Hanifin and Andersson are due to be solid top-4 contributors for years to come.

Reactions: unitedstars87

Ledge And Dairy

I get some points. But people claiming he's top 4 and yet also top pairing. Contradicts each other too.
He could overtake some spots eventually, but right now he's definitely not someone who gets a lot of mins. PP or PK.
That's because Calgary's RD depth this year is pretty solid, It's why Brodie was offered and accepted in a trade for Kadri this summer (Kadri obviously nixed the trade with his M-NTC). Last year towards the end of the year Flames former coach started testing out Andersson on the top pairing with Giordano and it had a lot of positive results. This year when Hamonic was out Andersson played with Hanifin for a while and they clicked like Lego blocks (I would not be surprised if that pairing is further tested at some point this season). I think the idea is eventually when Gio steps down as captain and #1D in the next 2-4 years Valimaki or Hanifin will be ready to take over on the top pair with Andersson as either of their partner.

It's really hard to explain without actually watching him play. He's so defensively smart and has amazing possession skills. Excluding Davidson (who has played a total of 3 games this year) he is 3rd on the team for CF%, 1st among defense. and of players with 40+ games palyed (Hamonic and Brodie are both at 39 GP but I will include them as they are regular roster players) he has the 3rd least giveaways, only behind Mangiapane and Ryan

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I think someone else said this already but again, there are nights he's playing 22+ minutes and averages about 19 minutes a night. There is also a big split on which LHD he plays with. He's spent 285 minutes with Giordano at all strengths, 202 with Hanifin (over 50 of those minutes on the powerplay with him, I believe) and then 288 minutes with Kylington which lines up with what's been said here, which is pretty much that Andersson has either forced his way into the top pairing for a few games (they put Brodie with Stone on the bottom pairing in these games), or he goes when Kylington has disappointed and gets scratched (In this case they put Brodie on the bottom pair because he's left handed and they don't want Andersson with Stone as they are both righties). Probably a mix of both tbh.

That's kind of where raw TOI stats are complicated because he has played just as much time with our top defenseman as our bottom defenseman, which puts him in an awkward spot of being top 4 because top pairing is top 4 but also on the bottom pairing, because of some weird stuff with the Flames d-core. At least that's how I see it as to the contradiction between being top 2 or bottom 2.

I will admit he doesn't get a lot of special teams time and it might just be because they don't trust him defensively. Last season Valimaki, who is younger, played PK with the exact same lines as now except Valimaki was in place of Kylington, and was trusted there while Andersson is not.

Ledge And Dairy

I think someone else said this already but again, there are nights he's playing 22+ minutes and averages about 19 minutes a night. There is also a big split on which LHD he plays with. He's spent 285 minutes with Giordano at all strengths, 202 with Hanifin (over 50 of those minutes on the powerplay with him, I believe) and then 288 minutes with Kylington which lines up with what's been said here, which is pretty much that Andersson has either forced his way into the top pairing for a few games (they put Brodie with Stone on the bottom pairing in these games), or he goes when Kylington has disappointed and gets scratched (In this case they put Brodie on the bottom pair because he's left handed and they don't want Andersson with Stone as they are both righties). Probably a mix of both tbh.

That's kind of where raw TOI stats are complicated because he has played just as much time with our top defenseman as our bottom defenseman, which puts him in an awkward spot of being top 4 because top pairing is top 4 but also on the bottom pairing, because of some weird stuff with the Flames d-core. At least that's how I see it as to the contradiction between being top 2 or bottom 2.

I will admit he doesn't get a lot of special teams time and it might just be because they don't trust him defensively. Last season Valimaki, who is younger, played PK with the exact same lines as now except Valimaki was in place of Kylington, and was trusted there while Andersson is not.
Small correction on the whole scratching Kylington thing. He has by far been better than Stone this season and realistically deserves a full time role, however with injuries and such forcing call ups and staying under the cap there were points when sending Kylington to Stockton and not exposing a player to waivers was the safer play. Also it is important for a team to keep their player 21-23 rotating into the line up or they build up rust and will perform worse if an injury/suspension were to occur and they stepped in with cold feet.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary

Andersson plays with Gio occasionally. Brodie gets that spot most of the time, but when the coach wants to change it up, he generally will only swap Brodie/Andersson.

Hanifin/Hamonic are never touched, and whoever the #6 is, Kylington or Stone, isn't good enough to play a regular shift on the top pair.

Andersson is. He's not as good as Brodie, but he can do it.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Like in everything, there is bad and worse for the Flames fans. If he stalls in his development, it's obviously bad. If he continues his ascension, it's even worse, as you will have to deal with hundreds of trade proposals, which include Bracco and Ceci as a return. :thumbu:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He isn't getting paid from now, he is getting paid from what he might be in the future. (what Flames see he'll become)
Super high risk, high reward kind of contract.

Lets see how this pans out.

4.55 mill aav, 6 year contract for a 3rd year NHL:er with only 135 games under his belt
- that's almost 30 million dollars...

Was this a advanced/analytics stats kind of signing?
(that back up this contract)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
How you play/look instead produce actual goals, points etc.etc., is kinda the theme of today.

But the thing is, those infamous today, box score stats are the most important thing in this game (will always be),
because those goals, assists and all what nots will actually decide which team wins the game;
who scores most wins, not the one who "plays better" "looks better" .... just saying.

Sometimes those advanced/analytics stats do support, but sometimes they do not, its a crap shot.

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
Incredible deal. That is amazing value.

Flames have a great young D core with Andersson , Hanifin, Kylington and Valimaki still to come. Stacked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->