Proposal: Cgy - pit

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
D.Hamilton + S.Monahan for E.Malkin

Clearly, small add ons and cap tinkering would also have to be done. Does this make much sense value wise? Will Malkin ever be available for trade? Does Calgary part with two top young players for an aging franchise center?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Clearly, small add ons and cap tinkering would also have to be done. Does this make much sense value wise? Will Malkin ever be available for trade? Does Calgary part with two top young players for an aging franchise center?

Definite value there, but it makes no sense for either team. Pitts is competing now and need to get as many championships as they can during the Crosby window.

Calgary is rebuilding and should not be trading two high end young players for a vet, albeit a very good one. Calgary has so many holes in their team right now, adding a superstar like Malkin probably won't make them a championship team, and at best a bubble team. Sacrificing the future to be a bubble team is never a good idea.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So why are the Penguins making this kind of move when they won the cup last year and are a top-5 team in hockey this year? They'd also run into an issue with the expansion draft if they make this trade.

The only way Hamilton to Pittsburgh makes sense is if Maatta is going the other way, but that wouldn't really make much sense for Calgary.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
So why are the Penguins making this kind of move when they won the cup last year and are a top-5 team in hockey this year? They'd also run into an issue with the expansion draft if they make this trade.

The only way Hamilton to Pittsburgh makes sense is if Maatta is going the other way, but that wouldn't really make much sense for Calgary.

I'd probably do Hamilton for Maatta. I think the Flames would benefit from a left side D so Gulutzan will stop freaking putting Brodie on the left.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd probably do Hamilton for Maatta. I think the Flames would benefit from a left side D so Gulutzan will stop freaking putting Brodie on the left.

I suggested Fleury and Maatta for Hamilton and Elliott, but I got chastised by Flames fans for suggesting it. That's why I thought the Flames would say no to Maatta for Hamilton.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Malkin isn't waiving his NMC for Calgary, The only deal from Pittsburgh that makes sense for Hamilton is Maatta.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I suggested Fleury and Maatta for Hamilton and Elliott, but I got chastised by Flames fans for suggesting it. That's why I thought the Flames would say no to Maatta for Hamilton.

Probably depends who you talk to. I personally like Elliott more than Fleury (in spite of Elliot's recent ice cold streak), and I think some people are bigger fans of Hamilton than I am. I mean, he's quite good and it's hard to find those huge top 4 dmen who can skate well, but Maatta isn't far off from him IMO.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Calgary passes, they're still in a rebuild and probably looking at results now will be for next year as well. Getting Malkin does very little for the Flames as they're not a win now team.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Letang are untouchable. They are all around the same age, and make up the core of the team. We will roll with them the next several years until they start falling off a cliff with age, and then we will blow it up and rebuild.

The Pens would have interest in a RHD because right now our only RHD are Letang and Schultz. Letang is injury prone, and Schultz is best when sheltered on the 3rd pair, plus isn't signed long term. We have Daley, a LHD playing on the right, where he is perfectly comfortable, but is contract expires after the season. Meanwhile, Maatta seems to be having trouble in Sullivan's fast paced system.

Ideally, we could move Maatta for a RHD of similar age and talent who fits our system a little better. Hamilton could do that, Trouba could do that etc. Meanwhile Pouliot is still developing and will hopefully fill that Maatta hole in time.

Long term:
Dumoulin - Letang
Pouliot - RHD Trade for Maatta
Cole - Schultz

As suggested in other threads, Maatta + Fleury for Hamilton + Elliot, with picks or other minor player adds as necessary, would work for us.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Letang are untouchable. They are all around the same age, and make up the core of the team. We will roll with them the next several years until they start falling off a cliff with age, and then we will blow it up and rebuild.

The Pens would have interest in a RHD because right now our only RHD are Letang and Schultz. Letang is injury prone, and Schultz is best when sheltered on the 3rd pair, plus isn't signed long term. We have Daley, a LHD playing on the right, where he is perfectly comfortable, but is contract expires after the season. Meanwhile, Maatta seems to be having trouble in Sullivan's fast paced system.

Ideally, we could move Maatta for a RHD of similar age and talent who fits our system a little better. Hamilton could do that, Trouba could do that etc. Meanwhile Pouliot is still developing and will hopefully fill that Maatta hole in time.

Long term:
Dumoulin - Letang
Cole - Schultz

As suggested in other threads, Maatta + Fleury for Hamilton + Elliot, with picks or other minor player adds as necessary, would work for us.

Elliot would be amazing or I'd even take Johnson if push came to shove. I think that's a solid deal for both sides. However, if Trouba is available from Winnipeg, I'd rather pursue him before Hamilton but I wouldn't hate getting Hamilton here.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Elliot would be amazing or I'd even take Johnson if push came to shove. I think that's a solid deal for both sides. However, if Trouba is available from Winnipeg, I'd rather pursue him before Hamilton but I wouldn't hate getting Hamilton here.

Thats really up to CGY. Murray is our future. I assumed they would want to send Elliot's salary our way but Johnson would be fine too. Jarry will be in Pittsburgh in a year or two anyway.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Hahaha no.

More realistic.

To Calgary:
Marc Andre Fleury
Olli Maatta

To Pittsburgh:
Brian Elliot
Dougie Hamilton
2nd round pick

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hahaha no.

More realistic.

To Calgary:
Marc Andre Fleury
Olli Maatta

To Pittsburgh:
Brian Elliot
Dougie Hamilton
2nd round pick

The Flames wouldn't be adding in that deal, I think the Pens need to add a little if anything. Realistically, Elliott's value and Fleury's value are around the same. I think Fleury has a little bit more value than Elliott due to his contract, but it's not significant. Something like 2 2nds for Fleury vs a 2nd and a 3rd for Elliott. I think the difference between Hamilton and Maatta is a little bit bigger, not much but just a little bit. I think the Pens would be adding like a 3rd or a prospect.

I could actually see something like Wilson, Fleury and Maatta for Hamilton, Elliott and a draft pick working out for both sides. The Pens have a glut of young bottom-6 wingers, trading Wilson helps thin out some of the young forwards. Even if they move Wilson, they'd still have Rust, Guentzel, Kuhnhackl, Sheary and Sprong as NHL ready young wingers. The Flames on the other hand have a pretty poor wing group overall, I think Wilson would probably slot on their 3rd line as a RWer. Maatta on their 2nd pair lets them move Brodie back to RD (which someone mentioned was an issue, their D pairs would be Giordano-Brodie, Maatta-Wideman and Kulak-Engelland) and Fleury gives them a pretty consistent starter.

Last edited:

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

Long term:
Dumoulin - Letang
Cole - Schultz

Pouliott has shown nothing for most people to believe he is a solution for Pittsburgh as a third pair Dman. He is far from a second pair guy. He is closer to bust than second pair guy.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pouliott has shown nothing for most people to believe he is a solution for Pittsburgh as a third pair Dman. He is far from a second pair guy. He is closer to bust than second pair guy.

That was a long term projection, not what would happen this or even next year. We still have Daley in the fold and can choose to retain him if we don't think Poo can handle it.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
That was a long term projection, not what would happen this or even next year. We still have Daley in the fold and can choose to retain him if we don't think Poo can handle it.

People continue to have false hope on Pouliot. I'm hoping his rights are traded. He doesn't serve as a solution to me.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
People continue to have false hope on Pouliot. I'm hoping his rights are traded. He doesn't serve as a solution to me.

He's been elite at every level so far. He needs more consistent playing time in the NHL to iron out his game. He may never be a top pair D man but I don't see him any less than a very good middle pair D man.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

This value is quite good here.
Maatta and Hamilton have similar value; young guys. You like Hamilton's upside more, but Maatta is an excellent player in his own right with room to grow. Really wish we had a competent GM; because we could have both players.

Flower and Elliott, are close. The cap hit on Fleury I'm a bit worried about, and that he has a few more years. Elliott is done after this season. Calgary might have to add some salary back. because the numbers don't match up.

If Bouma could be added on the Flames end, and a 2-3rd on the other. I do that trade.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Yes Pits is dying to close their cup window. Horrible for Pits. Nothing agaisnt Hamilton nor Monahan. They have just never been worth a malking type of player, esp now where both flames are struggling horribly (mainly Monahan) and Malkin has been on a tear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad