Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Nikita Nesterov signs with the Flames (1 year, $700K)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Another good signing by the Flames.

I don't mind Nesterov to be honest. I think he's a decent defenseman.

Also he has a lot of big game experience. Deep playoff run with Tampa. KHL championship 2 years ago. Olympic gold. Not a lot of 3rd pairing guys have that.

Reactions: Nanuuk and ViD

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Another good signing by the Flames.

I don't mind Nesterov to be honest. I think he's a decent defenseman.

Also he has a lot of big game experience. Deep playoff run with Tampa. KHL championship 2 years ago. Olympic gold. Not a lot of 3rd pairing guys have that.

And he plays wing too

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Nice signing by Calgary. Low risk for a good player likely in his prime years.

Reactions: Nanuuk

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Calgary has to be having the best off season out of all Canadian teams

Huh?

As a Flames fan, no, we're not.

We've let go

- a top pair defenseman who was basically our best player last year (Brodie)
- a bottom six forward coming off a down year in terms of on-ice SH% (Jankowski) who's probably going to bounce right back
- a bottom six forward who scored a ton of SHG (Rieder)
- a low-cost goaltender (Talbot)
- our PPQB (Gustaffsson)
- a cheap and effective PK1 option (Forbort)

We've signed

- a high term and cap hit goaltender (Markstrom) who's probably going to be mediocre over the course of his deal
- a 2nd pair defenseman with zero offense and shakey underlying metrics (Tanev)
- a 13th forward (Robinson)
- a 12th forward (Nordstrom)
- a bottom six forward who could easily find himself in the AHL if he doesn't produce (Simon)
- a bottom pair defenseman (Nesterov)

It's an incredibly ho-hum off-season. The only way our team is better next year is internal improvement and opportunity from everyone else.

Toronto is having the best offseason of the Canadian teams.

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Nesterov has 132 games of NHL experience and was a Corsi positive player averaging 60 hits per year. He can play LD or RD and has not only played in the KHL that last few seasons, but has led his country to Gold in the Olympics.

I view this as a very good signing.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Calgary's off season has been great so far. Soft players out, tougher players in. Our goaltending has improved (at a price), our defence has improved. Our 4th line has improved. With expected continue growth of players like Mangiapane and Dube, Bennett, and Tkachuk and Lindholm, Valimaki and Andersson, and vets Monahan and Gaudreau hitting their prime, there is reason for lots of optimism.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Huh?

We've let go

- a bottom six forward coming off a down year in terms of on-ice SH% (Jankowski) who's probably going to bounce right back
- our PPQB (Gustaffsson)

We've signed

- a high term and cap hit goaltender (Markstrom) who's probably going to be mediocre over the course of his deal
- a bottom six forward who could easily find himself in the AHL if he doesn't produce (Simon)

It's an incredibly ho-hum off-season. The only way our team is better next year is internal improvement and opportunity from everyone else.

I am not saying they had the best off season but I'd take markstrom and Tanev over Talbot and brodie any day. Goalie is much more important and Talbot is a proven choker. Brodie is good but flawed and has never really been a difference maker.

Rest are just fillers. Good riddance on your boy jankowski, your other boy Bennett needs to step up or he'll be in Seattle next. The flames really need him and Dube to take the next step

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Nah that spot is still Kylington's to loose unless a trade occurs
I'll be shocked it Kylington is the Flames regular 3rd line RD. He's shown that he has difficulty handling the defensive aspects of the left side, his natural position... and to put him on the right side where he's played very few games? Sounds like a recipe for disaster, particularly if Valimaki who's complete NHL experience is 24 games two years ago, is his defensive partner.
It's common knowledge that Treliving has been searching for an inexpensive and experienced RD d-man for the 3rd line. Looks like he found one... and it's not Kylington.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
The Flames lost some decent players but also gained a few decent players.
I like the Nesterov signing for Calgary’s PK. The last couple seasons in the KHL should have helped refine his game, Nesty is a decent responsible 2-way defenseman.

If the season were to start today would this is an accurate lineup for the Flames?

Line 1 LW Gaudreau C Monahan RW Lindholm
Line 2 LW Tkachuk C Backlund RW Mangiapane
Line 3 LW Simon C Bennett RW Dube
Line 4 LW Lucic C Ryan RW Nordstrom

1st Pair LD Giordano RD Andersson
2nd Pair LD Hanifin RD Tanev
3rd Pair LD Kylington RD Nesterov

Goalies:
Starter: Markstrom
Backup: Rittich

Scratches:
RW Gawdin
LW Rinaldo
LD Valimaki

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
With expected continue growth of players like Mangiapane and Dube, Bennett, and Tkachuk and Lindholm, Valimaki and Andersson, and vets Monahan and Gaudreau hitting their prime, there is reason for lots of optimism.
They were drafted 10 min apart, I think Lindholm is fully developed at this point.

If the season were to start today would this is an accurate lineup for the Flames?

Goalies:

Scratches:
RW Gawdin
LW Rinaldo
LD Valimaki
I would swap Lucic onto the 3rd line, he has chemistry with those other two. I have a feeling Tanev might be paired with Gio, Andersson and Hanifin played together a bit last year and I thought they looked good.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
They were drafted 10 min apart, I think Lindholm is fully developed at this point.

I would swap Lucic onto the 3rd line, he has chemistry with those other two. I have a feeling Tanev might be paired with Gio, Andersson and Hanifin played together a bit last year and I thought they looked good.
God that'll be a hard pair to play against.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Nesterov has 132 games of NHL experience and was a Corsi positive player averaging 60 hits per year. He can play LD or RD and has not only played in the KHL that last few seasons, but has led his country to Gold in the Olympics.

I view this as a very good signing.

Corsi positive on some very good TB teams... isn't 90% of their team Corsi positive?

IIRC, isn't the knock on Nesterov that he is a terrible skater... am I recalling that correctly?

Either way cheap deal... no risk.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Hopefully he's improved because he wasn't that good last time he was in the NHL. He gets lost in his own zone. Has interesting offensive upside & as I recall a terrific shot.

He's not somebody you trade anyone away for. A Gustafson replacement. Pretty similar player, albeit a lot cheaper.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hopefully he's improved because he wasn't that good last time he was in the NHL. He gets lost in his own zone. Has interesting offensive upside & as I recall a terrific shot.

He's not somebody you trade anyone away for. A Gustafson replacement. Pretty similar player, albeit a lot cheaper.
According to Pro Hockey Rumors:

"If you’re wondering why so many teams would be after a player who recorded just 33 points in 132 NHL games, bouncing up and down from the minor leagues during his first tenure in the league, you wouldn’t be alone. But over his three years in the KHL Nesterov has taken real developmental steps to polish his game at both ends of the rink while winning an Olympic gold medal and Gagarin Cup championship."

Nikita Nesterov Signs With Calgary Flames

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
According to Pro Hockey Rumors:

"If you’re wondering why so many teams would be after a player who recorded just 33 points in 132 NHL games, bouncing up and down from the minor leagues during his first tenure in the league, you wouldn’t be alone. But over his three years in the KHL Nesterov has taken real developmental steps to polish his game at both ends of the rink while winning an Olympic gold medal and Gagarin Cup championship."

Nikita Nesterov Signs With Calgary Flames

Like I said, hopefully, he's improved, but the KHL is not the NHL and the last Olympic games were without NHLers. It was a joke.

He's not the biggest dude either, but it's a low risk signing for Calgary.

Just keep expectations low and hope to be pleasantly surprised. And definitely don't go moving guys off you're blueline line for him at least until you get a good look at him in the NHL.

His salary of $700k suggests he'll be a depth player too, i.e. #6/#7 D.

I'll be interested to see how he does.

Reactions: Kipper933

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Huh?

We've let go

- our PPQB (Gustaffsson)

We've signed

... Brodie top pair guy... come on here, we all know hes a really good #3 a good #2, he was a top pair guy for like 2-3 years but thats max, he didn't want to stay in Calgary cause im sure we offered him the Tanev contract.
Jankowski played himself into this.
Gustav our PPQB? He was here for like what 25 games? Lol come on now.
Reider, Talbot, Forbort.. i would not have minded back, but come on.

Reider at 700K easily, Talbot under 2M im fine with, Forbort under 800K sure, Gustav at 2M id be fine with as well

Marky is an improvement on Talbot
Nordstrom and Simon vs Janks and Reider is pretty even if you ask me
Tanev and Nest aren't as good as Brodie, Gustav and Forbort but they'll do at the respective caps

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
The Flames lost some decent players but also gained a few decent players.
I like the Nesterov signing for Calgary’s PK. The last couple seasons in the KHL should have helped refine his game, Nesty is a decent responsible 2-way defenseman.

Goalies:

Scratches:
RW Gawdin