Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Josh Leivo signs with the Flames (1 year, $875K)

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
I can't believe the Flames are taking all our players...not just cast-offs either but solid useful guys.

Here's Leivo, he had a bad injury where he crashed awkward into the boards and fractured his kneecap so you wonder how well he can come back from that cause it just sounds so bad. He's a guy who really doesn't stand out in any one area and he can be a bit streaky in terms of his production, but he's a versatile guy who skates well and can play up and down in the lineup.

He doesn't have any major holes in his game and is sort of a swiss-army-knife type player, shown a solid NHL-level game but he hasn't had much opportunity yet to show what he can do on account of some bad luck when it comes to injuries and getting stuck behind other guys on the depth chart.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
$875k for a solid bottom-6 guy is fine value. Pity the Canucks couldn't scrounge together enough to match this offer.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Solid bottom 6/mid6 player, I’m sure the Canucks would have taken him back if we weren’t in such cap trouble.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Is Leivo a better or worse player than Josh Anderson? What makes Anderson a guy who gets 38 million dollars while Leivo gets less than a million? When I watched them last season I saw similar skill sets. Anderson had that great season playing with Panarin, but man did Montreal ever pay for a guy who to me isn't much better than Leivo.

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Is Leivo a better or worse player than Josh Anderson? What makes Anderson a guy who gets 38 million dollars while Leivo gets less than a million? When I watched them last season I saw similar skill sets. Anderson had that great season playing with Panarin, but man did Montreal ever pay for a guy who to me isn't much better than Leivo.
To be fair, Leivo saw time with Petterssen and has never actually played a full 82 game schedule in the NHL. He couldn’t quite crack the Leafs lineup and had some unfortunate luck with injuries during his first real chance with the Canucks. Despite(debatably...and maybe that’s a stretch) having the potential to be similar to Anderson, he’s far from a lock to be a similar player.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
To be fair, Leivo saw time with Petterssen and has never actually played a full 82 game schedule in the NHL. He couldn’t quite crack the Leafs lineup and had some unfortunate luck with injuries during his first real chance with the Canucks. Despite(debatably...and maybe that’s a stretch) having the potential to be similar to Anderson, he’s far from a lock to be a similar player.

What is Anderson going forward though? Is he the guy from 18/19 or the guy from 19/20? That's a lot of term and cash for a player that is really hard to project going forward. I agree that Anderson has the higher ceiling. But it's certainly not a lock that he'll be the better player going forward. It's not impossible that Leivo will be better than Anderson next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad