Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Andrew Mangiapane to extension (2 years, $2.425M AAV)

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
Happy for him. My buddy took his two sons to meet a bunch of flames last summer and he said this guy was an absolute beauty to all the families that attended, couldn’t have met a nicer guy

Reactions: Deen and voxel

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Solid. I always like the players whose give a shit meter is always at 100.

Seems like this guy and Lindholm are the only Flames that come to play against the Oilers, they kill us everytime.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Good deal for a top line winger. Gaudreau replacement IMO.

Lets pump the brakes there. Long way to go before he's a point per game player that can be one of the best forwards in the league when he's on. I think you underestimate how hard it is to replace a player like that. Gaudreau is more productive than Iginla (different era but still), those players don't come around that often.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I would kill to have Dube, Mangiapane, and Bennett on the Avs. Flames actually have a lot of nice pieces, but their star players have been a huge let down the past couple of playoffs.
Good deal. Good player. Could play on my team any day.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Lets pump the brakes there. Long way to go before he's a point per game player that can be one of the best forwards in the league when he's on. I think you underestimate how hard it is to replace a player like that. Gaudreau is more productive than Iginla (different era but still), those players don't come around that often.
He put up top line analytics and ES goals this year

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I have said before that Mangiapane reminds me very much of Brad Marchand in Boston - minus the attitude. Marchand is 5'9" 181 lbs, Mangiapane 5'10" 184 lbs. Both play with tenacity, have great edge work, and get in close in the slot. Both are strong possession players. Both are speedy and have great hands.

In a perfect world, Mangiapane can aspire to reach the heights that Marchand has (production wise). If he only reaches half of that, most Flame fans would be pretty darned happy.

Reactions: King In The North

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I have said before that Mangiapane reminds me very much of Brad Marchand in Boston - minus the attitude. Marchand is 5'9" 181 lbs, Mangiapane 5'10" 184 lbs. Both play with tenacity, have great edge work, and get in close in the slot. Both are strong possession players. Both are speedy and have great hands.

In a perfect world, Mangiapane can aspire to reach the heights that Marchand has (production wise). If he only reaches half of that, most Flame fans would be pretty darned happy.
Mangiapane is not speedy at all. He's competitive, has good hockey IQ and good hands. But he's our slowest top 9 guy outside of Tkachuk and Monahan. Rest of your assessment is pretty fair, but Marchand is a top 10 forward in the NHL. That's a pretty lofty comparison.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Mangiapane is not speedy at all. He's competitive, has good hockey IQ and good hands. But he's our slowest top 9 guy outside of Tkachuk and Monahan. Rest of your assessment is pretty fair, but Marchand is a top 10 forward in the NHL. That's a pretty lofty comparison.

Mangiapane “is not speedy at all”????? That’s a way out there assessment; he is a very good skater.

Reactions: Flamesgod

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Mangiapane “is not speedy at all”????? That’s a way out there assessment; he is a very good skater.
No he isn't. He's a below average skater bordering on bad. He's a bit like Tkachuk where his hockey IQ is so high that he compensates for it. I don't know if people are confusing his with Dube or something. Dube is an elite skater.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Going back to the original Flames scouting reports, the organization felt his speed was an asset. I agree. He isn't Paul Byron fast, but he also isn't a plug.

What Scouts Say: Andrew Mangiapane
He was the 4th slowest flame forward at our super skills last time. Granted that was a year and a half ago. He's noticeably slower than Backlund on the ice. Granted, Backlund is an above average skater, but he's not an elite skater.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No he isn't. He's a below average skater bordering on bad. He's a bit like Tkachuk where his hockey IQ is so high that he compensates for it. I don't know if people are confusing his with Dube or something. Dube is an elite skater.
Had to read some scouting reports to confirm what I see when watching this player. His game is about skating, especially speed.
What Scouts Say: Andrew Mangiapane

Reactions: Flamesgod

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I believe that Mangiapane skates to match his line-mates. Last year he was playing with Tkachuk and Backlund. Put him on a line with Bennett and Dube and watch him fly.

Ledge And Dairy

I understand your views on this but i just think that is far to high of a ceiling to pin on him. IMO (and ive said this many times as well including this thread) Mangiapane has a very similar game to Reilly Smith on Vegas. Relentless player with an excellent compete level and strong posession stats too. I think this is a much more realistic compassion and by no means a let down as Smith is an excellent 2-way player

Reactions: Dack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad