Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Andrew Mangiapane to extension (2 years, $2.425M AAV)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What I expected. With what the Flames have left in available cap space they couldn't afford to sign him to a long term more expensive contract. Good deal for both sides.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Good bridge deal. Exactly what the team needed this offseason. Has been a gem since being an overage draft pick and after thought.

Hopefully for him and the team’s success, he proves himself to be a consistent top 6 winger and signs a $4-5m medium term deal in a couple years.

Shonky

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
I expected more from Dube last year as a neutral fan, but this dude has a pretty sweet wrist shot so his production didn't really surprise me either

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I expected more from Dube last year as a neutral fan, but this dude has a pretty sweet wrist shot so his production didn't really surprise me either

Dube only really started to come into his own after the new year and the playoffs.

Shonky

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Dube only really started to come into his own after the new year and the playoffs.
Yeah I watched a few games earlier in the season, only so much can be done production wise with Lucic and Ryan lol, but I still think there is pretty good top 6 upside there.

Last edited:

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Yeah I watched a few games earlier in the season, only so much can be done production with Lucic and Ryan lol, but I still think there is pretty good top 6 upside there.
Haha you hit the nail on the head, Lucic and Ryan.

That made it a bit even more impressive when Dube turned it on and even Lucic was starting to score a bit.

Will be interesting to see if/how he continues to improve, in the playoffs we finally saw some of the guy that captained the WJC Canadian team to gold.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Good value contract. Treliving does good work re-signing guys. If only his UFA track record was as good our cap situation would be pretty rosy.
To be fair, all Canadian teams get hosed with UFA contracts. You either pay up extra or lose them to Southern teams.

Really good contract. I've always been impressed each time we play the flames. Lot of battle to his game, and he plays way bigger than his size. He's worked his way up.

Hopefully Virtanen contract is in the same range. JV could learn a thing or two about being committed from Bread.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Good deal all around. Mangiapane is a good player that does his best to earn his pay every game.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Little less than expected. He's a hard worker that has a killer quick release in the slot.. a few beauty one timer goals this year cause of that. 20+ goals and .5 PPG is definitely possible this season if he's on line 2 full time.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Great contract, and he's still an RFA when it's up. Hopefully he continues his upward trajectory and we can lock him up long-term at the end of this one. One of the most consistent Flames in terms of effort night in and night out.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Last season, Mangiapane played 861:18 at 5v5, which ranked 116th among NHL forwards.

In those minutes, Mangiapane:

- scored 15 goals (tied for 43rd among all NHL forwards - 1st line production)
- scored at a rate of 1.04 goals per 60 minutes (ties for 54th among all NHL forwards - 1st line production)

- had 11 primary assists (tied for 71st among all NHL forwards - 1st line production)
- recorded primary assists at a rate of 0.77 per 60 minutes (tied for 83rd among all NHL forwards - 1st line production)

- had 29 total points (tied for 77th among all NHL forwards - 1st line production)
- recorded points at a rate of 2.02 per 60 minutes (tied for 86th among all NHL forwards - 1st line production)

All despite playing against elite competition night in and night out on the shutdown line.

By all accounts, Mangiapane produced like a first liner offensively 5v5 last season.

By all accounts, Mangiapane was also a beast defensively with incredible possession + scoring chance rates.

Now, give him consistent PP time.

The guy is an absolute stud. Was hoping for an Andersson-type long-term extension but the Flames simply didn't have the cap space. Mangiapane is guaranteed to totally outperform his contract once again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->