Confirmed Trade: [CGY/EDM] James Neal for Milan Lucic (12.5% retained) and a 2020 conditional 3rd round pick Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The mental gymnastics you needed to convince yourself this is a good move is worthy of a 10.0 from the judges

TL;DR - I don't think it insane of a concept that Flames fan can say we're better with Lucic on the roster than Neal, while still accepting we completely lost the trade to Edmonton. It doesn't require too much advanced mental gymnastics to be contemplated.

Personally, I think there's two sides to the evaluation of this trade. IMO, any individual who thinks that Calgary won the deal needs to get his head checked. It's a win for the Oilers, plain and simple.

That being said, I do think that there is room for Flames fans to say to have optimism that the Flames aren't horrifically worse off with Lucic than Neal on the roster. Neal would not have been very much improved on our bottom 6/scratched/pissed off and many of us speculate that Neal had to be moved for whoever because there's reports that he's already a locker room distraction. There is quite a bit of evidence from the playoffs that he did not get along with Peters that isn't hearsay, and while we don't know exactly whether management was really upset with him... we do know he was traded for Milan Lucic.

Neal is in the perfect place to succeed and bounce back in Edmonton for a team that's starved of top 6 quality RW. Lucic, not seemingly a bounce back candidate in our bottom 6, but at least he's no locker room distraction like Neal was. Neal has seemingly nothing but positive value on the Oilers, but in Calgary, he was a negative. It's addition based on subtraction and most of what Flames fans are trying to say is that we aren't doing too bad if Lucic is a net zero vs a net negative. It sucks the Flames are on the raw end of the deal, but I think there is a reasonable logical argument to be made that we are slightly better off after this deal.

Personality wise, Neal does have a bit of abrasiveness to him. I seem to recall he chirped CMD in a tweet soon after signing in Calgary. The chirp was innocuous and nothing mean spirited. TBH, I wouldn't mind if Neal started chirping us. That would add an interesting element to the BOA.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Curious to see where Neal ends up. Hoping on the right side. I’d prefer that’s where he play especially if Draisaitl stays on LW. Gives our top 6 some options at least.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
NT6oTWL.png

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
TL;DR - I don't think it insane of a concept that Flames fan can say we're better with Lucic on the roster than Neal, while still accepting we completely lost the trade to Edmonton. It doesn't require too much advanced mental gymnastics to be contemplated.

Personally, I think there's two sides to the evaluation of this trade. IMO, any individual who thinks that Calgary won the deal needs to get his head checked. It's a win for the Oilers, plain and simple.

That being said, I do think that there is room for Flames fans to say to have optimism that the Flames aren't horrifically worse off with Lucic than Neal on the roster. Neal would not have been very much improved on our bottom 6/scratched/pissed off and many of us speculate that Neal had to be moved for whoever because there's reports that he's already a locker room distraction. There is quite a bit of evidence from the playoffs that he did not get along with Peters that isn't hearsay, and while we don't know exactly whether management was really upset with him... we do know he was traded for Milan Lucic.

Neal is in the perfect place to succeed and bounce back in Edmonton for a team that's starved of top 6 quality RW. Lucic, not seemingly a bounce back candidate in our bottom 6, but at least he's no locker room distraction like Neal was. Neal has seemingly nothing but positive value on the Oilers, but in Calgary, he was a negative. It's addition based on subtraction and most of what Flames fans are trying to say is that we aren't doing too bad if Lucic is a net zero vs a net negative. It sucks the Flames are on the raw end of the deal, but I think there is a reasonable logical argument to be made that we are slightly better off after this deal.

Personality wise, Neal does have a bit of abrasiveness to him. I seem to recall he chirped CMD in a tweet soon after signing in Calgary. The chirp was innocuous and nothing mean spirited. TBH, I wouldn't mind if Neal started chirping us. That would add an interesting element to the BOA.

I fully agree with both teams potentially getting better from this deal. Calgary loses something that did nothing for them, and if Lucic embraces a bottom 6 role and just throws his weight around, that should make Calgary more difficult to play against. Edmonton is the more likely team to improve if Neal can in fact succeed in a top 6 role.

Should make the battle far more interesting this year between this and the Talbot/Smith swap (which I feel the Flames won easily)

Reactions: Fig

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
We’ll be in the weird position of Flames fans hoping Neal rips it up as an Oiler... for one year at least.

Not really. BT put that in to cover his ass in a remote possibility that Neal clicks with McDavid.

I doubt any Flames fans would cheer for an Oiler to score.....same with any Oilers fans to cheer for Lucic so the Oilers dont lose a pick

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I think a lot of people around here are really underrating Neal's ability to party. He probably jumps to the top of the Oilers depth chart in that category.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The only thing that makes this good for Edmonton is that they can buy out Neal easier than Lucic. Calgary wasn't going to buy out Neal. Calgary saves $500k in cap and gets some physical play, plus saves a lot of real money.

Both players suck, and may or may not rebound.

That's it. Everyone go home.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Best case scenario for the Flames; Lucic scores 20 and Neal gets 31.
Best case scenario would be Lucic getting a but load of assists, he's always been a more effective playmaker than goal scorer.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
We’ll be in the weird position of Flames fans hoping Neal rips it up as an Oiler... for one year at least.
Personally I think if the pick comes through, than it was a real loss. That being said, if Lucic can at the very least be a serviceable 3/4 line guy for us, I don’t care what Neal does, he wasn’t bouncing back with us either way unfortunately.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Personally I think if the pick comes through, than it was a real loss. That being said, if Lucic can at the very least be a serviceable 3/4 line guy for us, I don’t care what Neal does, he wasn’t bouncing back with us either way unfortunately.
I don't understand this line of thinking. Worrying about how a player does after they are gone and you have no control is nonsensical to me. I feel like "winning" a trade comes down to whether or not you improved your team with the move. Both teams can win a trade.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don't understand this line of thinking. Worrying about how a player does after they are gone and you have no control is nonsensical to me. I feel like "winning" a trade comes down to whether or not you improved your team with the move. Both teams can win a trade.
Which is why I said, if Lucic is a serviceable player for us (something Neal wasn’t able to be), I wouldn’t care, we win on our end, who cares if Edmonton wins or loses in there’s. But, if both teams can win, someone can lose, if Lucic fails to be a serviceable NHLer for us, we lose on our end, if Neal has a bounce back and we get that pick, I’d consider it a real loss. But if both players do alright in their roles, it can be a win win sure.

Reactions: McSuper

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Which is why I said, if Lucic is a serviceable player for us (something Neal wasn’t able to be), I wouldn’t care, we win on our end, who cares if Edmonton wins or loses in there’s. But, if both teams can win, someone can lose, if Lucic fails to be a serviceable NHLer for us, we lose on our end, if Neal has a bounce back and we get that pick, I’d consider it a real loss. But if both players do alright in their roles, it can be a win win sure.
That's just it, if Neal is serviceable we do win, that's my point. But, yes, both can win and both can lose, although I think the latter will be more difficult especially for us as Neal was no better than our 13th forward.

Reactions: tmurfin

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
When they say Lucic cannot be bought out due to the structure f his contract, what do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad