PTO: [CGY] Devante Smith-Pelly(r), Tobias Rieder(s), Zac Rinaldo(s), Alexandre Grenier(r) PTO with Flames

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I hope we sign Rinaldo for the mayhem.
I could have sworn I heard we were close to bringing him in last year too. Frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if all 4 of these guys were giving contracts, with 2-3 of them going to the AHL.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So will the flames penalty kill.. head out onto the ice.
In each of the last 2 years, Rinaldo has averaged less than 1 PIM per game and that is with 7 fighting majors. In fact in 76 games over the last 2 seasons Rinaldo has only 29 PIMs that weren't fighting majors. Unless you are trying to claim 12 minor penalties (some of which may have been offsetting) and 1 match penalty in 76 games is alot of penalties.

Reactions: habergeon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
In each of the last 2 years, Rinaldo has averaged less than 1 PIM per game and that is with 7 fighting majors. In fact in 76 games over the last 2 seasons Rinaldo has only 29 PIMs that weren't fighting majors. Unless you are trying to claim 12 minor penalties (some of which may have been offsetting) and 1 match penalty in 76 games is alot of penalties.
1 match penalty in 76 games is too many.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He’s not a terrible option for top 9, despite how poorly he did last season. I think he’s competition for Czarnik primarily though.
I think he is insurance if we have to move Frolik or if Mangiapane doesn't re-sign by the start of the season, but I am sure Czarnik will be fighting him too. We only have 41 contracts with only 2 RFAs to sign. So adding 3-4 depth guys could be in the cards.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think he is insurance if we have to move Frolik or if Mangiapane doesn't re-sign by the start of the season, but I am sure Czarnik will be fighting him too. We only have 41 contracts with only 2 RFAs to sign. So adding 3-4 depth guys could be in the cards.

I could see it. Factoring that Peters wants to give Lindholm a real shot at Center, we will have to find some way to fill out our RW.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I could see it. Factoring that Peters wants to give Lindholm a real shot at Center, we will have to find some way to fill out our RW.
I still don't buy that rumor, not even a little. Peters is not going to bastardize our top 6 wings just to strengthen 3C. It makes no sense to kill your strength to address something that isn't really a weakness, because Derek Ryan and Mark Jankowski is perfectly fine as 3/4 centers.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I still don't buy that rumor, not even a little. Peters is not going to bastardize our top 6 wings just to strengthen 3C. It makes no sense to kill your strength to address something that isn't really a weakness, because Derek Ryan and Mark Jankowski is perfectly fine as 3/4 centers.

That was my thought on hearing it as well. However, the Kadri acquisition sounds like it probably would've centered around Brodie? Makes me think that for whatever reason Treliving/Peters may not be so confident in our center depth.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Is there room for all 4 players?

How much room is there?

Calgary plays at least one same-day split squad game a year.
Just need some vets in there early on, because we don't need Gio, Mony, Lindy, Johnny, Backs, Hammer, Hanifin or Frolik playing against Vancouver home or away on September 16th. Gets us to our vet min, and shields some youth.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That was my thought on hearing it as well. However, the Kadri acquisition sounds like it probably would've centered around Brodie? Makes me think that for whatever reason Treliving/Peters may not be so confident in our center depth.
That's different though, that would have been improving forward depth overall via trading from a strength (before Valimaki got injured) and it also would have cleared about 1.8m in cap space. Moving Lindholm from RW to C just shuffles the deck chairs and gives us no top 6 RW if Frolik gets moved. All that would do is make our top 2 lines easier to play against and making our 3rd line slightly harder to play against while limited Backlund's effectiveness by cutting his ice-time.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
That's different though, that would have been improving forward depth overall via trading from a strength (before Valimaki got injured) and it also would have cleared about 1.8m in cap space. Moving Lindholm from RW to C just shuffles the deck chairs and gives us no top 6 RW if Frolik gets moved. All that would do is make our top 2 lines easier to play against and making our 3rd line slightly harder to play against while limited Backlund's effectiveness by cutting his ice-time.

Again I don't disagree at all, I just think it adds merit to the suggestion they are open to Lindholm at C, if the roster allows for it. Perhaps signing guys like Rieder makes that easier.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Rieder might have an outside shot. He'd really have to play well and impress though. The other three are just meat for the training camp grind.

Seems like this is mostly a kick in the ass for Mangiapane to sign a contract.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I can see DSP sticking as 4RW, Reider has an outside chance. He's around to push Dube and Czarnik. The others, if they impress, would be Stockton bound.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That is a lot of players... Getting ready to clear out salary via trade in order to sign Tkachuk?

No, just bringing in some bodies, in order to have enough players to have split squad scrimmages. Plus it never hurts, to have competition going on, for the final few positions on the team. Some of these guys might be willing to sign for league minimum, so if they show enough in camp, they might get signed... no risk if they eventually don't work out, just send to the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad