CFL to explore alignment opportunities with XFL

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Its not one or the other, XFL season does not overlap with NFL season.

And I don't believe CFL does neither.
CFL starts in June , and awards Grey Cup first week of November, so there is overlap with the NFL. Hoping there is a merger. We need to get more talent into our league.

Last edited:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
CFL starts , and awards Grey Cup first week of November, so there is overlap with the NFL. Hoping there is a merger. We need to get more talent into our league.
Does anyone remember when CFL expanded to US? Were they able to put iN Canadian football sized field in US stadiums?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Does anyone remember when CFL expanded to US? Were they able to put iN Canadian football sized field in US stadiums?
I went to lots of BC Lion’s games during that era, and loved seeing the other teams. I don’t remember if the US teams played on the CFL field. Maybe college size?
Baltimore was a fabulous team and very successful franchise. I think there were three or four excellent US franchises, but there were some that were really terrible too.
10 Canadian teams and 10 US teams might be ideal.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
They did in San Antonio since they had retractable seats to fit it in.

Baltimore was fine too since the field was large enough to fit baseball too.

Memphis has to cut corners in the end zone. Vegas was disasterous on so many levels.

Don't remember the others, but if they wanted a uniform field, they can keep the width and shorten the length by 10 yards (say 100 yards instead of 110) and it should work

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
Yet despite only playing 1 real season, the CPL will have the same number of teams as the CFL has for most of their existence since 1958.

They expanded too quick and it shows in the level of play. I liked the Fury because the quality of competition was actually worth watching. That and their branding wasn't awful. Fury actually used the city colours.

Last edited:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Memphis has to cut corners in the end zone. Vegas was disasterous on so many levels.

Don't remember the others, but if they wanted a uniform field, they can keep the width and shorten the length by 10 yards (say 100 yards instead of 110) and it should work
If they are gonna do it, everyone has to do it, not just teams in US.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Reactions: cutchemist42

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I don't understand how Redbird can help CFL financially. CFL isn't single entity.

I think Redbird is going have to invest in each team and effectively make it a single entity with each owner owning a stake to operate in their own market, similar to MLS. A partial buyout in exchange so the CFL can play this year.

Getting the community based teams on board will be a challenge plus the BC Lions since it's owned by Braley's estate. It's a not a high priority to sell right now. Could be why 2023 is being discussed.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I think Redbird is going have to invest in each team and effectively make it a single entity with each owner owning a stake to operate in their own market, similar to MLS. A partial buyout in exchange so the CFL can play this year.

Getting the community based teams on board will be a challenge plus the BC Lions since it's owned by Braley's estate. It's a not a high priority to sell right now. Could be why 2023 is being discussed.
What a mess. I thought CFL was doing well in the prairies at the very least.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
What a mess. I thought CFL was doing well in the prairies at the very least.

They were. The problem is being community owned they can't borrow funds and once their rainy day funds are extinguished there's no billionaire to back them.

Oddly enough, teams like the Argos and Lions can weather the storm better than the likes of the Riders and Bombers so they may not have a choice to accept a buyout in some form.

Reactions: cutchemist42

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

Sacramento, Birmingham, and Shreveport were the others. There was a failed attempt at putting a team in Mississippi after plans in Miami failed, but by then the experiment was over.

In the case of Sacramento, Hornet Stadium was one step above the house of horrors that is Sam Boys Stadium, but it was still crappy.

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The latest take from Naylor as I suspect he has the closest ear to the ground with these talks.

Dave Naylor: Shared global vision underpins potential CFL-XFL collaboration - TSN.ca

Referencing both have global ambitions with the game. One by Ambrossie's 2.0 vision as what attracted Redbird. Also hints at Garcia's tweet the day talks we're announced.

I don't see teams playing in Mexico and Germany as speculated in the card right now. Covid has to be well in the rear view mirror for that to even be a serious conversation.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
This feels less like a true merger and more like Redbird is just acquiring the CFL and harmonizing their rules with the XFL. Like maybe they bring a couple of American teams in, but it feels more a VC company buying a dead football IP and then trading up for another less dead and better known IP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad