CFL Taking Ownership of the Montreal Alouettes

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Not sure about Montreal, but in Vancouver and Toronto, CFL is about as attractive and fashionable as aerosol cheese or carton wine.

Really doesn't help when the action at BC Lions games occurs in the second half--In the stands, with alcohol infused brawls.

It's not that bad in Montreal, the main problem is they jacked up ticket prices right at the end of the big dynasty and the team has been hot garbage for the past 6-7 years so the value proposition is a bit of a tougher sell. The whole org has been a mess too there is basically no marketing. They still have a downtown stadium though and it's a great place to go spend a summer night after work.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

They went to Edmonton to see the team play it's season opener so my understanding this is the second game they'll attend and first one in Montreal continuing their due diligence.

Won't comment on the Reed incident. Why would they? They don't own the team but many wonder if yesterday's cleansing gives them a carte blanche should they close the deal.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
A good number of us in Portland do not like the Timbers GM Gavin Wilkinson. It is knowing that truth when I throw the curve at people to say Wilkinson is only the 2nd worst GM in Cascadia.

The Whitecaps are a mess, between their knack for signing retreads and their achingly slow acknowledgement of the problems with the lack of system to deal with the former perv coach of the women's team, current racist coach, and so on.

Being dead last in the West doesn't help either

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Not sure about Montreal, but in Vancouver and Toronto, CFL is about as attractive and fashionable as aerosol cheese or carton wine.

Really doesn't help when the action at BC Lions games occurs in the second half--In the stands, with alcohol infused brawls.

Hey, don't knock aerosol cheese unless you try it. It's one of the rare cases where the Great Value brand is superior to the name brand. I ain't paying over $5 for something that's tastier for $2.60.

In the meantime, I personally am fascinated about what Canadians think about Canadian football. Obviously, as an American, all we remember is the ill-fated foray in the 1990s and that they have all the games on ESPN+ via TSN streaming.

Reactions: Devonator

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
How long has this circumvention been going on for? I have a hard time seeing Reed being able to pull this off by himself. I wouldn't surprise me if these practices we're going on for year with the Wettenhal's more specifically Andrew backing this and now being cleaned up under the league's ownership.

By creating these false companies and putting personal expenses and having the team foot the bill, losing 12 million and change last year as reported may make more sense.

Sad thing, circumventing and over paying players still put them at or near the league's basement.

A big mess to clean up for the Lenkovs should they take over.

For now it is all rumors as official investigation is ongoing. With so many people conducting due diligence for a potential takeover someone likely found and reported irregularities. Will be interesting to see how long and to what extent this was going on if in fact true Also what penalty the franchise may be slapped with given that it may impact sale value and CFL owns the team.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The long saga finally over

Steel entrepreneurs Sid Spegal and Gary Stern are the new owners.

https://www.tsn.ca/steel-industry-e...-gary-stern-new-owners-of-alouettes-1.1423112

League owned the team for over 7 months. Many, many names were mentioned in the local media (Vince Guzzo, Eric Lapointe, Clifford Starke, the Lenkov brothers) and were very local in the media.

These guys names never came up. Did their diligence in the background so it seems. Silence is golden.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad