CFL 2024

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I wonder if the supposed conditions of facility upgrades, etc are scaring off potential bidders.
Well, the city is in tough financial waters so they won't be providing any substantial money and as I have said before, Commonwealth Stadium has had over 200M in upgrades since its inception in 1978.

10 home dates a year that draw less than 20k fans and a league that is iffy means that the province won't be too interested either. I still say that Commonwealth is one of the most beautiful stadiums in the World and I have seen many of them.

Soldier Field in Chicago is a dump (we were there for a tour about 5 years ago) compared to Commonwealth and Soldier Field has had a few hundred million dollars injected in the last decade.

As an interesting aside, the Bears want a new $7 Billion dollar stadium complex (yup, 7B is right) and they want the city of Chicago to finance a good chunk of it with 40 year bonds. There seems t be no limit to these demands on the taxpayer. Meantime, Chicago and the state of Illinois face some of the toughest financial straits that they have ever sailed in. Illinois has an astonishing debt of $226 Billion and is rated as "second worst in the USA" in terms of its balance sheet but the demands keep coming--surreal.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Well, the city is in tough financial waters so they won't be providing any substantial money and as I have said before, Commonwealth Stadium has had over 200M in upgrades since its inception in 1978.

10 home dates a year that draw less than 20k fans and a league that is iffy means that the province won't be too interested either. I still say that Commonwealth is one of the most beautiful stadiums in the World and I have seen many of them.

Soldier Field in Chicago is a dump (we were there for a tour about 5 years ago) compared to Commonwealth and Soldier Field has had a few hundred million dollars injected in the last decade.

As an interesting aside, the Bears want a new $7 Billion dollar stadium complex (yup, 7B is right) and they want the city of Chicago to finance a good chunk of it with 40 year bonds. There seems t be no limit to these demands on the taxpayer. Meantime, Chicago and the state of Illinois face some of the toughest financial straits that they have ever sailed in. Illinois has an astonishing debt of $226 Billion and is rated as "second worst in the USA" in terms of its balance sheet but the demands keep coming--surreal.

I went to Soldier Field about 5 years ago and you're 100% right. I was expecting much better considering they basically built it up from the studs about 20 years ago, but it seems like they basically air dropped a second concourse around the original concourse, added a second deck and called it a day.

Reactions: MoontoScott

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
As someone with some experience in business transactions, I suspect that the buyer is looking to (likely justifiably) make the purchase for $1 + assets or close to it and the board is probably fighting to get some goodwill value out of it.

Buyer sees the CFL headwinds combined with investment required (capital or otherwise) making any acquisition cost of value a non-starter; while the board is looking at it from a more emotive perspective as sellers tend to do - "this franchise has been a cornerstone of the community for almost 100 years and you're telling me it's worth next to nothing!?"

My guess and only a guess.
The BoD pissed that collateral away with the name change and other stupidity in the past decade.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Given its age I can imagine you are right about Soldier Field. I’ve been to Lambeau too and although it’s nostalgic, it’s a dump too.

Commonwealth was so far ahead of its time and has been maintained very well over the decades. It’s still a very nice stadium facility. Edmonton is fortunate to have had leadership at the time with the vision to bid on the Commonwealth Games and build facilities that were world class. Argyle Velodrome being another one at the time.

I’d be extremely surprised if Illinois voters approve tax dollars to a new build. It’s a very pro Democrat state and the way that side of the spectrum is right how, government subsidies won’t wash with them.

Now that being said it’s also one of the more corrupt political machines in North America so even if a vote were to fail they could make it work positively. Wink wink.

Reactions: MoontoScott

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Any sure-fire bets on who the Elks are taking 1st overall? They won't trade it will they?
Dublanko went first overall as expected. Should at least be a decent special teams player. Couple of strange second round picks. One guy who didn’t even play football last year and for the third straight year, we picked a long snapper.

Reactions: Valhallis

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

It’s still bizarre that RL and the board seem to think that the number one priority of the new owner needs to be the stadium. I just hope they don’t screw this up, but based on their history, I fully expect them to.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
As someone with some experience in business transactions, I suspect that the buyer is looking to (likely justifiably) make the purchase for $1 + assets or close to it and the board is probably fighting to get some goodwill value out of it.

Buyer sees the CFL headwinds combined with investment required (capital or otherwise) making any acquisition cost of value a non-starter; while the board is looking at it from a more emotive perspective as sellers tend to do - "this franchise has been a cornerstone of the community for almost 100 years and you're telling me it's worth next to nothing!?"

My guess and only a guess.
What exactly is a prospective buyer buying? What are this franchises assets? They don’t own the building they play in. I don’t see anything other than the sporting equipment they have. The only thing they had of value was their name, that’s what had been the cornerstone of the community and they willingly flushed that down the toilet. The fan exodus after the name change shows the Elks brand has no value in this community. I don’t see why anybody would pay any more for this than the “1$ and assumption of debt” offer

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It’s still bizarre that RL and the board seem to think that the number one priority of the new owner needs to be the stadium. I just hope they don’t screw this up, but based on their history, I fully expect them to.
It helps to explain the decline of the club. I have never understood what the fuss over R.L. was.

Two years to ground zero.

What exactly is a prospective buyer buying? What are this franchises assets? They don’t own the building they play in. I don’t see anything other than the sporting equipment they have. The only thing they had of value was their name, that’s what had been the cornerstone of the community and they willingly flushed that down the toilet. The fan exodus after the name change shows the Elks brand has no value in this community. I don’t see why anybody would pay any more for this than the “1$ and assumption of debt” offer
No one is going to pay much for an organization that has no hard assets on the balance sheet and a goodwill component that is pretty close to zero. The "woke" cash injection was supposedly the savior but that hasn't worked out too well. Maybe this season they'll pack the place and clean out the merchandise store.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is it really the condition the facility is in that is the question or the conditions to use the facility that are the problem?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
You should feel good about the first pick in Dublanko. Bonhomme would probably have been there in round 3 or 4.

I don't understand Jones thought process in a deep draft. All the other teams got better.
The Dublanko kid was on Reid’s show last night. I know nothing about his stats or game, but sounds like a guy that really wants to be in Edmonton. Has some pretty strong ties to the community too - family, grandparents.

Reactions: Valhallis

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Dublanko kid was on Reid’s show last night. I know nothing about his stats or game, but sounds like a guy that really wants to be in Edmonton. Has some pretty strong ties to the community too - family, grandparents.
He is supposed to be in studio on Karius show this morning so that's a good sign.

Interesting I was gonna ask what his ties to the City are, but I just read his Dad was born here and Joel recently acquired Canadian citizenship.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
He is supposed to be in studio on Karius show this morning so that's a good sign.

Interesting I was gonna ask what his ties to the City are, but I just read his Dad was born here and Joel recently acquired Canadian citizenship.
His grandparents first date was an Eskimo game. He even sang the Eskimo grey cup song that his grandfather used to sing to him, on Reid’s show.

Always draft for character, along with skill.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Is it really the condition the facility is in that is the question or the conditions to use the facility that are the problem?
RL's comments were that his first choice was for a new facility, and failing that a very high investment put into the existing stadium. City/Province are not building a new stadium, and we don't know exactly what is being said to prospective owners, but if conditions about stadium upgrades are part of it, that could be why this is taking so long. Lot's of things to fix before we even look at the stadium as an issue, which I don't think it is.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
RL's comments were that his first choice was for a new facility, and failing that a very high investment put into the existing stadium. City/Province are not building a new stadium, and we don't know exactly what is being said to prospective owners, but if conditions about stadium upgrades are part of it, that could be why this is taking so long. Lot's of things to fix before we even look at the stadium as an issue, which I don't think it is.

I really wish I was a fly on the wall for these discussions.

Wonder if there are any interested parties that are simply saying "can I just buy the team and invest in optimizing the business instead of wasting time walking down the stadium rabbit hole?"

If the board is factoring in the new owner's willingness to invest in capital infrastructure as a critical buying condition then they have totally lost the plot even beyond what I thought they were capable of. They're all business leaders, you would think they would recognize that a new stadium A - isn't relevant to them or a sale and B - it would be the worst possible investment in the history of investments. Just mind blowing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I just want to know what exactly is wrong with the stadium in the first place. Like what is preventing there being ball played there for the next decade or longer?

And if it's bullshit like wanting to having amenities for the players like the Oilers have, well good luck it's the CFL you don't need that.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If they screw this up, I see the team folding.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Sounds like Dublanko could step into a starting position at linebacker right away. That would be a huge bonus for a team that has struggled in terms of finding good Canadian content. I think they cut Konar in the off-season?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Good summary of all CFL Draft Picks here: https://3downnation.com/2024/04/30/analyzing-every-pick-in-the-2024-cfl-draft/

I like the Riders picks okay. Love Nick Wiebe's game watching the U of S Huskies and think he's been a solid CFL linebacker. Was maybe a fallback call when Ottawa grabbed Saskatoon's Daniel Okpoko just before him. Feel they were thinking both sides of the line for picks 1 and 2. The top guy OL Hergel sounds like a real good mauler but might find NFL work. The new Riders coach's draft call to Wiebe but epic cringe.

• Love
Reactions: brentashton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad