Who is the Highlander

• Total voters

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Rychel

888.jpg

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
@Baxterman The clear comparable to Rychel is Morgan Klimchuk. Same age, similar NHL experience, decent AHL experience and both have aspects to their game that could allow them to play something other than a scoring role.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I honestly like some of the kids we got at this years' draft more than either of these two.
Ruzicka is a weird player. He was carried into the playoffs, and then fell off a cliff.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
@Baxterman The clear comparable to Rychel is Morgan Klimchuk. Same age, similar NHL experience, decent AHL experience and both have aspects to their game that could allow them to play something other than a scoring role.

Sure they are much more alike with the CHL route as well, but I don't see why Foo and Rychel aren't fairly similar also.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sure they are much more alike with the CHL route as well, but I don't see why Foo and Rychel aren't fairly similar also.
Because of the development path, you seem to want to fault Foo for finishing his education and developing later.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Because of the development path, you seem to want to fault Foo for finishing his education and developing later.

I want to "fault" Foo because he is 24 years old and for the most part guys are what they are at that point. Also he wasn't exactly killing it in college and batting away offers to leave so I am not sure if it was finishing education (did he finish he only had 3 years at Union?) as he wasn't good enough to do anything than play in the NCAA because pro hockey wasn't an option.

I find the develop later argument for college players is usually pretty much BS, especially by 24. The list of guys who weren't very good at 21, 22, 23 but then turned a lot better at 24 (goalies excepted) is pretty small.

I just don't see any reason to think that Foo who has spent his whole career showing he is worse than Rychel and is older (albeit only 6 months) should be considered a better prospect (although really neither guy is a prospect at this point in their careers).

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Experience in pro hockey is a significant difference. First professional season versus four.

Also not entirely sure why you think I want Foo that much higher, when I downright said I don't think he deserves to be as high as he went.

And yes to answer your question in your more recent post, yes he left after 3 years. Not sure how 62 points in 38 games isn't killing it. He also received multiple offers from NHL clubs.

Foo also showed significant growth in his first season. I want to say something like 32-35 of his 39 points came in the second half of the season. Now I want to see him take that next step if he's ever going to show anything this year.

23 is still prospects, even if you disagree. Pittsburgh just won two cups with some important contributions from guys that didn't hit their strides until their mid twenties like Sheary, Bonino, Schultz, etc. While Guentzel wasn't as old before making an NHL impact, he had worse numbers than Foo in College.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Experience in pro hockey is a significant difference. First professional season versus four.

Also not entirely sure why you think I want Foo that much higher, when I downright said I don't think he deserves to be as high as he went.

And yes to answer your question in your more recent post, yes he left after 3 years. Not sure how 62 points in 38 games isn't killing it. He also received multiple offers from NHL clubs.

Foo also showed significant growth in his first season. I want to say something like 32-35 of his 39 points came in the second half of the season. Now I want to see him take that next step if he's ever going to show anything this year.

23 is still prospects, even if you disagree. Pittsburgh just won two cups with some important contributions from guys that didn't hit their strides until their mid twenties like Sheary, Bonino, Schultz, etc. While Guentzel wasn't as old before making an NHL impact, he had worse numbers than Foo in College.

I don't think you want him higher I was responding to the not apples to apples comment.

62 points in 38 games was the season he came out so doesn't really apply to he stayed in school to finish his degree. I was commenting on the two prior seasons when he didn't come out and likely didn't have much if any interest. He received multiple offers after he came out not in the previous seasons.

Guentzel is younger than Foo so he seems like a pretty bad comparison since he has two NHL seasons better than anything Foo has done and killed Foo in terms of AHL production. Sheary had better numbers in the AHL and was producing in the NHL younger than Foo is now. I think it is dangerous to try and say this is guy kind of like that guy so he can make it because usually they are not that similar and one guy making it doesn't make it likely another guy does.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I’m in the same boat as Volica. I’d take a couple of this years picks here. Ruzicka is not a very good player. He’s got the tools, but I don’t expect him to ever put it together.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't think you want him higher I was responding to the not apples to apples comment.

62 points in 38 games was the season he came out so doesn't really apply to he stayed in school to finish his degree. I was commenting on the two prior seasons when he didn't come out and likely didn't have much if any interest. He received multiple offers after he came out not in the previous seasons.

Guentzel is younger than Foo so he seems like a pretty bad comparison since he has two NHL seasons better than anything Foo has done and killed Foo in terms of AHL production. Sheary had better numbers in the AHL and was producing in the NHL younger than Foo is now. I think it is dangerous to try and say this is guy kind of like that guy so he can make it because usually they are not that similar and one guy making it doesn't make it likely another guy does.

Guentzel I'll give you on the age front, just point out that past numbers in a different league don't always mean everything.

Sheary had better numbers yes, but he didn't make it till 23-24 either.

Mostly just trying to say you can't purely write off guys by 23. A lot of them you can have a pretty strong guess yes, but if they are still showing forward progress, they can still grow. And I think Foo has.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Guentzel I'll give you on the age front, just point out that past numbers in a different league don't always mean everything.

Sheary had better numbers yes, but he didn't make it till 23-24 either.

Mostly just trying to say you can't purely write off guys by 23. A lot of them you can have a pretty strong guess yes, but if they are still showing forward progress, they can still grow. And I think Foo has.

For me if by 24 you haven't shown anything close to being an NHL guy I don't expect much from you and Foo has shown nothing to indicate that he can play in the NHL.

At least Rychel has a couple of decent AHL seasons and an ok showing in short stint in the NHL, but really the likelihood is that these two (and everyone left) are AHL/Euro guys.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
How are Rychel, Klimchuk and Shinkaruk all not comparable? Honestly none of any of that trio has done anything to separate themselves from one another.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
How are Rychel, Klimchuk and Shinkaruk all not comparable? Honestly none of any of that trio has done anything to separate themselves from one another.

I guess because some people (myself included) prefer the young guys with lots of road/perceived potential instead of the guys that are on their last legs.

I go by value. And I’d rather have Roman/Pospisil/Koumontsis than Rychel/Klimchuk/Shinkaruk :dunno:

Reactions: InfinityIggy

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I guess because some people (myself included) prefer the young guys with lots of road/perceived potential instead of the guys that are on their last legs.

I go by value. And I’d rather have Roman/Pospisil/Koumontsis than Rychel/Klimchuk/Shinkaruk :dunno:

There are many prospects that do not progress until 26 to 27. It is like a switch flips and it all makes sense for them. In this case though there appears to be issues with Shinkaruk and Rychel in who willing they are to do the work needed to become the prospects they were touted to be.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Shinkaruk started declining in the AHL and he doesn't have the tools to be anything other that a scorer. that's what separates him from the other two.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

That literally has nothing yo di with what he asked

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad