OT: CF Montreal thread: Cement Feet, Can't Finish

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by ArtPeur, May 29, 2021.

1. atrud66 Reinforcement Learning Agent

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Masters Student
    7-0 win. Davies, David, and Larin came on for the final 20-25 minutes and each got a goal. They clicked right away which should give them plenty of confidence for Suriname

2. Rumcajs Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Amazing spin-o-rama goal by ZBG.

Despite the onslaught, still a worried about Suriname.

3. Emanresu Wen Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Suriname is actually decent soccer country, but most of the players chose the Netherlands as primary citizenship for international soccer purposes. There’s definitely some deep history for this link, but I’m too lazy to look it up

Notable players with a Suriname citinzenship : Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Kluivert, Malen, Promes, Bergwijn, Garvenberch, Stengs. They all decided to play for the Netherlands though.

4. Habs Icing Formerly Onice

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Filmmaker
    Saying those players are from Suriname is like saying Tony & Phil Esposito, Delvecchio, Pietrangelo, Giordano, Modano, Ciccarelli are from Italy. All those players were born and raised in the Netherlands.

5. Emanresu Wen Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    But they still have the choice

Aubameyang played all over Europe and still chose to play for his home country Gabon (even though he did France U21). Gabon is going nowhere soccer wise

Pulisic chose the USA even though Croatia is a better squad. Same for Sergino Dest

There are a million other examples

Edit: but this isn’t my point at all, I was just pointing out a very interesting situation

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  6. Habs Icing Formerly Onice

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Filmmaker
    Yes, I understood your point. Suriname will have more competent players than the three teams we just played. All the same, if CMNT loses to Suriname the whole coaching staff and management team should be stuffed into a cannon and shot into outer space - preferably towards Pluto. With all the talent on this team, there's no excuse for missing the World Cup. It's not like CONCACAF is a juggernaut when it comes to soccer.

7. JunglePete Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I mean not really they shouldn't be fired for losing to Suriname. We have no history of going to World Cups. Talent on paper means nothing if there is no chemistry or little chemistry(and they are very young for the most part) Look at Man City who's been spending billions yet can't even win one single CL. Same for PSG...

Some of us tend to think we are top tier Concacaf team although we are not even close to it. We beat Bermuda 5-1 but Suriname beat them 6-0. To expect a cakewalk just because we have players playing for Bayern and Besiktas can turn out the same way with Haiti 2 years ago(with the same players minus Atiba and Arfeld, 2 midfield veterans). Do I think we can win ? Yes. Do I think we can lose ? Yes

8. Adam Michaels Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

I really hope they do the same for other sports, especially MLS, where CFMTL can play out of Saputo Stadium..

Skip Bayless and ArtPeur like this.
  9. Habs Icing Formerly Onice

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Filmmaker
    Your comparison between CMNT and Man City/PSG doesn't hold water. I'm not asking CMNT to win anything. I'm asking them to qualify. If Man City and PSG were in tier 2 divisions and failed to move into tier one competition then your comparison would make sense.

I keep hearing this is the Golden Generation of Canadian soccer (and I agree BTW). Well, in my eyes it's only Golden if they qualify for the World Cup. As for Canada not having a history of winning, we also never had the quality that this generation possesses and it's not like we're located in the UEFA or CONMEBOL. It's the freaking CONCACAF. Most nations have a population equal to or less than Montreal.

10. JunglePete Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    What you fail to realize although I agree with most of what you just said here is that there are only 3 direct spots to qualify in CONCACAF not 8. That's why I really think it's a waste of time playing against nations like Aruba and French Guyana, it gives a false perception of our real level.

Canada's soccer culture is still poor whereas teams like Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Honduras, Haiti, Jamaica all have on top of having players who play for top divisions in Europe just like us and all of them beat us in recent years. Now if you count Suriname who are getting ready (maybe more the next cycle), Curacao already considered a top 5-7, we got work to do and it won't be easy for 3 spots.

Also DR is catching up, they have a crucial game Tuesday agaainst Panama and I hope they win. Now imagine if Mariano decides to represent DR. Not the best striker but he would be probably Concacad's best striker (or 2nd after Jiminez). Thankfully for him Zidane is gone.

So do I think we got better ? Hell yes
    are we a top 3 Concacaf that qualify for next year ? No but anything can happen.

I didn't talk about the fact that Herdman tends to overcoach, the Central American altitude factor nor the drawback that we have to play in neutral venues because of our government. The good part is that Suriname lacks experience.

11. Habs Icing Formerly Onice

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Filmmaker
    Finished watching the US-Mexico match. Jeeze that Mex team has to be one of the worst coached teams I've seen.

atrud66 likes this.
  12. atrud66 Reinforcement Learning Agent

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Masters Student
    That Mexico - USA game was one of the funniest, most entertaining matches I've ever seen. Glad I chose it over Vegas - Colorado

13. JunglePete Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Mexcio v USA game was easily one of the greatest matches I have ever seen as a neutral. Easily in my top 3.

Of course Mexican fans had to throw piss at the end on some US players and their own players by accident because of the ass whooping... But Clint Dempsey saved the show as an analyst. And that referee from Panama taking no shit. 10/10 game

Bondurant and atrud66 like this.
  14. Bondurant Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    In honor of the Habs sweeping Winnipeg and my rekindled interest in soccer I figured this would be a great opportunity to share a quick story that popped into my head earlier today.

I am a former Chicago Fire season ticket holder ('06-'08). Moved back home to MI before moving out to AZ and have not been to a game since '13. Decided to officially throw in the towel on them after the hideous re-brand and years of the FO demonstrating they don't like their own fans. Anyway, back on track...

Chicago was on the road in Toronto when they played their first home game at BMO back in '07. The result on the pitch left much to be desired as a Fire supporter but one man, Peter Wilt, made my day. A large contingent traveled by car and bus. We were placed in one of the upper corners sandwiched between Toronto supporters to our front and back. PW at one stage in the game unfurled a banner he made. It was quite simple: red material with white lettering that said "Chicago". He stylized the "C", however, in the shape of the Habs "C". The nuclear meltdown of the Toronto supporters was epic. One woman was so distressed I thought she was going to cry. "THIS ISN'T HOCKEY. WE'RE NOT PLAYING HOCKEY!" she shrieked and continued in this vein for so damn long. She was not even paying attention as her team won.

A fragile bunch those Toronto people.

15. Yannman Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Epic

16. Habs Icing Formerly Onice

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Filmmaker
    Tonight will be a very meaningful night for Canadian soccer. CMNT has a history of choking. I agree with Jungle Pete. Herdman has a tendency to coach himself into a corner although I think he is a master at organization and salesmanship. I see Herdman more as a sporting director than a coach. Having said that, nothing more than a win will be an acceptable result. I really don't care that Suriname has a bunch of over-the-hill former quality players with a sprinkle of young quality players. On paper, Canada has the better overall squad and they better show it on the pitch or heads should roll.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    atrud66 and JunglePete like this.
  17. Ghetto Sangria Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    What a legend

18. Campoozmstnz Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If the Habs continue on their streak and make it further in the playoffs, I don't see the Impact having any media coverage until late in the summer...

19. Habs Icing Formerly Onice

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Filmmaker
    The Impact won't ever have media coverage again - never ever again.

20. LPHabsFan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Student
    Home Page:
    I get what people are saying about Suriname and how they've added a bunch of players, but if Canada wants to be considered a legitimate Soccer nation, at least in Concacaf turns, then having the belief that a tie is acceptable is pathetic. Moving forward, Canada shouldn't have to play these types of games against Countries that have less of population than most of our smaller to medium cities. It's time to take the next step. We have the players to do so (still question marks on the back end).

Anything less than a fairly dominant win tonight for me should be considered some type of failure if we have any hope of being succesful against the teams like Honduras, Jamaica, US etc...

21. Ghetto Sangria Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Agreed. I already feel that the loss to Haiti at the Gold Cup was a bit of an embarrassment. Forgivable considering it was the start of this new "Golden Era" core playing together, but Suriname should not even be close to our quality.

Have high hopes for tonight

QuebecPride and Habs Icing like this.
  22. QuebecPride Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Finance
    Not gonna lie, losing to Haiti was a big blow to me. No offense to that Haiti team as they played hard. But there's no reason why Canada is not a dominant country in the Concacaf. We have the ressources and the talent and the country size.

23. Rumcajs Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Amen to that, no disrespect exactly, but we totally took our foot of the gas that game.

Felt worse than the year we didn't score a goal at all (I think 2013 Gold Cup).

Overall, that is why I'm worried about tonight, but feeling like a 3-1 win our way.

24. Ghetto Sangria Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    you hope at this point the talent disparity is so large we should win no matter the effort.

we still lack quality at CB. Really frustrating Miller is hurt for this. He could have show to be the general back there.

We do have a lot of offensive quality and some solid DMs.

25. JunglePete Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

Exactly why I mentioned PSG and Man city as examples. Money doesn't buy you trophies. Sometimes it just takes the right philosophy with less talent and you're through

I still don't think we are a top 5 in Concacaf. I wasn't surprised at all with the defeat to Haiti. They dominated Costa Rica in a previous game at that Gold Cup, narrowly lost 1-0 to Mexico in a questionable penalty. They won a Gold Cup back in the days. I can name also Guatelama, they also won Gold Cup, Suriname, Curacao getting better in the continent. for some reason some of us tend to overlook them when we have achieved very little in 100 years.

As for suriname I only know of Donk, he plays for Galatasaray. He's big CB, like a Waston type. Let's hope he had his weekly sex parties before tonight's game. and Lerdman because he was one of the best RBs in MLS. But I read that Becker their winger is one of the fastest players in Bundesliga. Should be a good dual v Davies.