OT: CF Montreal thread: Cement Feet, Can't Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
-There's a legit battle between Bassong and Kizza. Both of them bring different things offensively, but are both inconsistent defensively. They will battle it out.

-Piette was such a calming presence. He brought so much poise with the ball that allowed the offense to flow better. Wasn't a very good game by our midfield in general.

-The CBs were pretty solid.

-Diop made some game saving stops, but I feel like the team plays on their heels when he's in net.

-Johnsen and Ibrahim left me wanting more, although I thought the former did a lot of good things away from the ball.

-Thank goodness for ya boy Mason Toye.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
-There's a legit battle between Bassong and Kizza. Both of them bring different things offensively, but are both inconsistent defensively. They will battle it out.

-Piette was such a calming presence. He brought so much poise with the ball that allowed the offense to flow better. Wasn't a very good game by our midfield in general.

-The CBs were pretty solid.

-Diop made some game saving stops, but I feel like the team plays on their heels when he's in net.

-Johnsen and Ibrahim left me wanting more, although I thought the former did a lot of good things away from the ball.

-Thank goodness for ya boy Mason Toye.

Hamdi shouldn't play at DM. When Piette stepped in, it changed the whole midfield. If they can't start both Wanyama and Piette at the same time, they should put Maciel in instead?

Johnsen su***** with the ball for the whole game though.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I liked what Nancy has done so far but it’s time he realizes the following:
- Hamdy and Mihailovic have no chemistry together
- The team has played much better each time Piette was on the field (and I’m not a fan of him)
- We’ve tried Lappi, Kizza and Bassong at LWB and the best option so far has been Kizza
- 3-5-2 isn’t always the best formation. Depending on who’s in form/available we should have the flexibility to switch to 4-3-3

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
5 teams are are sharing the 3rd spot in the standings at 11 points

4 pts seperate 2nd to 11th place

and this is only in the East

Reactions: JtotheC

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
“Cement Feet, Can’t Finish” thought this was another thread about Staal.

Reactions: ArtPeur

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
I liked what Nancy has done so far but it’s time he realizes the following:
- Hamdy and Mihailovic have no chemistry together
- The team has played much better each time Piette was on the field (and I’m not a fan of him)
- We’ve tried Lappi, Kizza and Bassong at LWB and the best option so far has been Kizza
- 3-5-2 isn’t always the best formation. Depending on who’s in form/available we should have the flexibility to switch to 4-3-3
Agreed on the 3-5-2. We always look dangerous when we create up the middle, but so often our attacks come down the side. Really hate it because so often Mihailovic isn't involved in the build up, and we're much more dangerous when he's getting a lot of touches in.

Overall fine result on the road. Actually thought we tied it since I closed the stream after Chicago's goal lol. Ibrahim didn't look great, Bassong was just okay and Johnsen had some nice movement and provoked some turnovers, but still got a few chances he should have finished.

I still think Kizza is the best LWB we have. He has some mental lapses defensively but I think he's a bit better in all phases than Bassong.

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
Seriously, what a change for Camacho. Yes he is short fuse, but he is good. Always had to back the bad positioning of Waterman and Struna. Cant wait for next year when Struna will be gone. His salary will give some flexibility to Renard and he is sooo bad for the money he is earning.

I am really not an expert, but how can a Serie A team can be interested to bring Struna in their club?!?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Seriously, what a change for Camacho. Yes he is short fuse, but he is good. Always had to back the bad positioning of Waterman and Struna. Cant wait for next year when Struna will be gone. His salary will give some flexibility to Renard and he is sooo bad for the money he is earning.

I am really not an expert, but how can a Serie A team can be interested to bring Struna in their club?!?

Next year, we'll need to revamp our whole CBs. We probably only have Miller and Waterman under contract...

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
My main takeaway in this first portion of the season is Piette > Wanyama and Toye > Johnsen so far.

I expect more from these two guys.
Without Wanyama we’d spend the entirety of every game hunkered down in our own half. Every team presses so hard against us and only Wanyama can navigate the pressure properly to distribute the ball.

Offensively I would like a bit more from his game but he’s our most important mid by far.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Without Wanyama we’d spend the entirety of every game hunkered down in our own half. Every team presses so hard against us and only Wanyama can navigate the pressure properly to distribute the ball.

Offensively I would like a bit more from his game but he’s our most important mid by far.

He should be doing that, but I think he's the one struggling with the high pressing and to distribute the ball the most. Piette has been far more effective and consistent in those aspects so far.

We are lucky we haven't faced too many offensive juggernauts because we'd have a few pretty ugly games under us.

Edit: That said, I've missed about 3 games so far, so maybe my assesment is not really spot on. But from the games I've seen, Wanyama has always left me wanting more.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
He should be doing that, but I think he's the one struggling with the high pressing and to distribute the ball the most. Piette has been far more effective and consistent in those aspects so far.

We are lucky we haven't faced too many offensive juggernauts because we'd have a few pretty ugly games under us.

Edit: That said, I've missed about 3 games so far, so maybe my assesment is not really spot on. But from the games I've seen, Wanyama has always left me wanting more.

Yeah Wanyama plays disinterested at times. Piette is 100% all the time, but Wanyama looks bored. If only Piette was as talented and built like Victor haha. A bit like Price with the Habs. At times it's too easy, and at times he's in his bubble fumbling shots.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah Wanyama plays disinterested at times. Piette is 100% all the time, but Wanyama looks bored. If only Piette was as talented and built like Victor haha. A bit like Price with the Habs. At times it's too easy, and at times he's in his bubble.
When he's in the zone, the whole team plays a bit more aggressively and we are really hard to play against. That just doesn't happen often enough though.

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
Yeah Wanyama plays disinterested at times. Piette is 100% all the time, but Wanyama looks bored. If only Piette was as talented and built like Victor haha. A bit like Price with the Habs. At times it's too easy, and at times he's in his bubble fumbling shots.

Defensively, Wanyama is a monster, probably too easy for him as you say. But offensively, I dont think there is much even if the caliber is less good, he is not able to generate anything.

Is he worth his salary? Not for me if I compare with Piette lets say and he wont sell tickets. I really like him and what he brings, but it's too much money for a defensive player for me.

Reactions: QuebecPride

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Defensively, Wanyama is a monster, probably too easy for him as you say. But offensively, I dont think there is much even if the caliber is less good, he is not able to generate anything.

Is he worth his salary? Not for me if I compare with Piette lets say and he wont sell tickets. I really like him and what he brings, but it's too much money for a defensive player for me.
Meh, while he's great in 1 on 1 duels and stripping the ball cleanly, his marking is very suspect, looks lost (or maybe disinterested).

The main critics about him are not about his lack of offense, but more about his lack of consistency defensively. He does some things really well, in dominant fashion. But some others are just not good enough.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Should be running a 4-2-3-1... Toye and Jonsen can more than handle that 9 role. Djorjde and Hamdi at 10, Wanyama, Piette, Sejdic at DM. We have great winger depth on both sides.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad