Central

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Yeah they've been that way since 2013 and have a 2nd round playoff appearance to show for it
I forgot to mention that, while they will never win a SCF (imo, unless Duby gets rly hot) - they are still a consistent threat to be in the playoffs.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I see 4 tiers in the Central...

Tier 1: Jets then Preds or Preds then Jets

Tier 2: Blues

Tier 3: Stars then Wild or Wild then Stars

Tier 4: Avalanche then Hawks or Hawks then Avalanche

Side Notes: The Blues, I think, will be quite a bit better next season than last --- the Stars too. The Wild will be good again with that D and the goal-tending, but will likely not do much in the playoffs (if they make it). Avalanche may be better than I think and be a tier above the Hawks --- but, man, that would be hard to see... but they may be somewhat legit... not sure.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I think they are going to shock people as to how far they have fallen. I don't think the bandwagoners that are left are ready for a full season of bad. Last year things were okay until Christmas. Now its going to be bad from the start.

And if Crawford does play I think he will be an average goalie. And that won't be good enough unfortunately.

Well... I agree it will likely be a bad season from the start. that said, why would you expect Crow to be average? I'd think we have nothing to go on really. He has been awesome --- if healthy he could be very, very good... or awesome, or average as you say --- we just cannot predict, really. Nothing to go on.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I see 4 tiers in the Central...

Tier 1: Jets then Preds or Preds then Jets

Tier 2: Blues

Tier 3: Stars then Wild or Wild then Stars

Tier 4: Avalanche then Hawks or Hawks then Avalanche

Side Notes: The Blues, I think, will be quite a bit better next season than last --- the Stars too. The Wild will be good again with that D and the goal-tending, but will likely not do much in the playoffs (if they make it). Avalanche may be better than I think and be a tier above the Hawks --- but, man, that would be hard to see... but they may be somewhat legit... not sure.
I really don't see either the Stars or Wild (especially the Wild) being that much better than the Hawks, or Avalanche, IMO.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Well... I agree it will likely be a bad season from the start. that said, why would you expect Crow to be average? I'd think we have nothing to go on really. He has been awesome --- if healthy he could be very, very good... or awesome, or average as you say --- we just cannot predict, really. Nothing to go on.

Well if you believe the rumors (and I do) the guy who was standing on his head last season is not the same guy today. To expect him to go back to that elite level is not realistic IMO. And again that is only IF he plays.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Well if you believe the rumors (and I do) the guy who was standing on his head last season is not the same guy today. To expect him to go back to that elite level is not realistic IMO. And again that is only IF he plays.

No...I am not expecting excellence. I am not expecting anything. I just do not know. Again. anywhere from the old Crow all the way to below average is, for all we know, likely. And, just as likely is no Crow at all (or for but a short time only). We just do not know.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I really don't see either the Stars or Wild (especially the Wild) being that much better than the Hawks, or Avalanche, IMO.

Well... the strengths of the Stars (their forwards) and the Wild (their defense and their goalie) and the fact that the Hawks coaching has been a train wreck (a million line combos, obvious line combos not attempted, antiquated defensive deployment, etc.) which is not a problem for the Stars and Wild --- that places them ahead of the Hawks in my mind. both teams have a better overall roster than the Hawks --- and that matters too. The Hawks consist of young developing guys who are not yet what they will be --- and older diminishing guys who are not what they once were --- a bad combo. I do not think that either the Stars or the Wild are all that good --- but they are better than the Hawks.

I hope I am wrong...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Well... the strengths of the Stars (their forwards) and the Wild (their defense and their goalie) and the fact that the Hawks coaching has been a train wreck (a million line combos, obvious line combos not attempted, antiquated defensive deployment, etc.) which is not a problem for the Stars and Wild --- that places them ahead of the Hawks in my mind. both teams have a better overall roster than the Hawks --- and that matters too. The Hawks consist of young developing guys who are not yet what they will be --- and older diminishing guys who are not what they once were --- a bad combo. I do not think that either the Stars or the Wild are all that good --- but they are better than the Hawks.

I hope I am wrong...
Hawks have a better forward group than the Wild by quite a bit IMO, the Wilds defense isn't that great, and Dubnyk is OK. Dallas's coach is an unknown at this point at the NHL level. Dallas has a better offense, but their defense isn't way better than the Hawks..especially if Keith recovers. The only way I see the Hawks finishing below the Wild is if Crow misses the entire season.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Hawks have a better forward group than the Wild by quite a bit IMO, the Wilds defense isn't that great, and Dubnyk is OK. Dallas's coach is an unknown at this point at the NHL level. Dallas has a better offense, but their defense isn't way better than the Hawks..especially if Keith recovers. The only way I see the Hawks finishing below the Wild is if Crow misses the entire season.

I hope you are right about the Hawks being better than the Wild --- we'll see.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I see it as "
Tier 1 : Jets and Preds
Tier 2 : Stars, Blues, Wild and Avalanche
Tier 3 : Our beloved Hawks
Now it is possible .. not overly likely but possible the Hawks play better this year and make a push towards the PO's but that will hinge on a lot of what ifs ... Crow, Toews, Keith hint hint hint.
This upcoming draft though will be another important one for us to rebuild on the fly. So ... I guess a long season is ahead of us ... maybe!

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Hawks "might" be a Wild Card team ... they certainly wont be a top 3 in the Central (Jets, Preds, Blues)

"Might" be a Wild Card based on Crow being back in nets for the year at a high level of performance

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)

I hope I am wrong...

Agreed. All of this hinges on Crawford. The Wild and Stars have a much superior goalie if Crawford is out for any length of time. Minnesota has a much better top 4 and they have superior forward depth than the Hawks while the Hawks have the higher top end. I think the Hawks will be better than Dallas unless Crawford is out for half the season or so.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Minnesota have superior forward depth than the Hawks while the Hawks have the higher top end. .
Uhh, what?

Hawks depth:
Anisimov
Kruger
Kunitz
Sikura
Ejdsell
Hayden
Kahun

Wild depth
JT Brown
Matt Hendricks
Eriksson Ek
Fehr
Foligno
Coyle
Greenway

How exactly is that superior forward depth?

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Uhh, what?

Hawks depth:
Anisimov
Kruger
Kunitz
Sikura
Ejdsell
Hayden
Kahun

Wild depth
JT Brown
Matt Hendricks
Eriksson Ek
Fehr
Foligno
Coyle
Greenway

LOL I guess you're right. I do like Coyle better than anyone the Hawks should have on their 3rd line and I am high on EK and Greenway but I agree after looking at it again that the Wild don't have superior forward depth.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Uhh, what?

Hawks depth:
Anisimov
Kruger
Kunitz
Sikura
Ejdsell
Hayden
Kahun

Wild depth
JT Brown
Matt Hendricks
Eriksson Ek
Fehr
Foligno
Coyle
Greenway

Sikura or Anisimov should not be listed as depth, when they are probably the 6th best forward on Chicago. In that case you'd have to list Niederreiter (their 6th best forward).

Taking out Anisimov...

Coyle >> Sikura
JEE > Kruger
Foligno > Kunitz
Greenway > Edjsell
Hayden > Fehr (debatable, Fehr is a very good 4th line guy)
Kunin > Kahun

JT Brown and Hendricks likely aren't regulars for them.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Sikura or Anisimov should not be listed as depth, when they are probably the 6th best forward on Chicago. In that case you'd have to list Niederreiter (their 6th best forward).

Taking out Anisimov...

Coyle >> Sikura
JEE > Kruger
Foligno > Kunitz
Greenway > Edjsell
Kunitz > Hendricks
Kunin > Kahun

Taking out AA is not how to do it. AA is a 3rd line player on this Hawks team.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Taking out AA is not how to do it. AA is a 3rd line player on this Hawks team.

You don't know that. The coach is Joel Queneville. He may very well be 2C beside Patrick Kane.

Either way, he omitted Toews, Kane, Debrincat, Saad, Schmaltz (5 players)
And omitted Staal, Granlund, Zucker, Koivu, Niederreiter, Parise (6 players).

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You don't know that. The coach is Joel Queneville. He may very well be 2C beside Patrick Kane.

Either way, he omitted Toews, Kane, Debrincat, Saad, Schmaltz (5 players)
And omitted Staal, Granlund, Zucker, Koivu, Niederreiter, Parise (6 players).

And you don't know he will be in the top 6.

Q has already talked about keeping 8-88 together and putting 12 with 19.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Taking out Anisimov...

Coyle >> Sikura
JEE > Kruger
Foligno > Kunitz
Greenway > Edjsell
Kunin > Kahun

JT Brown and Hendricks likely aren't regulars for them.
Sikura > Kunin
Kunitz > Fehr
Hayden > Foligno
Kahun > Greenway
Coyle > Kruger
JEE > Ejdsell

I can make it work like that too. And Fehr is not a very good 4th line guy, he is awful. And you don't know that the Wild will be sending Hendricks or JT Brown down. They could very well send Kunin down and keep one of those two.

Point is, they aren't superior at forward, it's fairly equal. Add to that that our top forwards are better, and the Hawks have a better offense. And if Crow is healthy, a better goalie.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Sikura > Kunin
Kunitz > Fehr
Hayden > Foligno
Kahun > Greenway
Coyle > Kruger
JEE > Ejdsell

I can make it work like that too. And Fehr is not a very good 4th line guy, he is awful. And you don't know that the Wild will be sending Hendricks or JT Brown down. They could very well send Kunin down and keep one of those two.

Point is, they aren't superior at forward, it's fairly equal. Add to that that our top forwards are better, and the Hawks have a better offense. And if Crow is healthy, a better goalie.

How is Kahun > Greenway?
How is Hayden > Foligno?

Strong Hawks bias, good lord.

Reactions: Blackhawks

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
2018: Minnesota 253 GF, Chicago 229 GF
2017: Minnesota 266 GF, Chicago 244 GF

Just stop... Minnesota is a better all around team then Chicago, but they are ONLY good for the regular season. I'd take our roster just because we have Patrick Kane, a legit game breaker.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
How is Kahun > Greenway?
How is Hayden > Foligno?

Strong Hawks bias, good lord.
How is Greenway better?
Greenway has a total of 6 NHL games under his belt. Point there is you can't say one is better than the other when you haven't seen either of them play in the NHL.
I would take Hayden over Foligno all day.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
2018: Minnesota 253 GF, Chicago 229 GF
2017: Minnesota 266 GF, Chicago 244 GF

Just stop... Minnesota is a better all around team then Chicago, but they are ONLY good for the regular season. I'd take our roster just because we have Patrick Kane, a legit game breaker.
They have a better defense (offense from defense particularly), that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad