Central Scouting Services Mid-Term Rankings:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
On the other hand, he seems to be moving up their own list quite dramatically... they had him (bizarrely enough) 7th amongst QMJHLers on their prelim list, which might have translated to something in the late-2nd/early-3rd round overall. Now he's 3rd amongst Q players and 15th overall? That's an even bigger jump than Cherepanov going 22-to-1 for ISS. :)

I dunno, I'm a split decision on Katic. At least he's a guy I've seen a bit firsthand. His offense isn't exactly overwhelming, if you're going to overlook the size thing and take him for offense. Russell was a bit of a controversy too in his draft year, and he ended up at the top of the 3rd round (I took him top of the 2nd round in my FHL fwiw, yay me)... okay, with Russell it's an even smaller frame (on draft day anyway), not as smooth skating, but far far better numbers. I would be more surprised to see Katic go as high as #14 than I would be to see him slip to #60. (Although bearing in mind that #60-NA Skater might equal #80-90 overall, I agree the ranking is still too low).

All totally from the ol' :GWC: of course.

He was actually 7th among QMJHL forwards :) But yeah it is a huge jump for him in CSS's mind.

What is your opinion on Negrin being ranked 47th among NA-Skaters.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well--some very big differences between CSS and ISS ....Surprised CSS has Couture as low as #11 in the NA list (he's at #5 in the ISS rank ) obviously CSS didn't give Couture much slack for his month and half on the sidelines due to mono) ...but they actually have Turris at #5 in the NA list,so if you assume at least 2 euros will go in the mix ahead of him,that about equals the combined rank of #7 for Turris from the ISS,but my own feeling is that only Cherepanov among euros will go ahead of Turris and perhaps not even given the transfer issues....My own hunch is that Turris will be the best centre and best forward from this draft ---I have not been that impressed when I've viewed Esposito,it is a stretch to see Van Riemsdyck at #2,Kane is better than Gagner--so I think CSS is out to luch on its top 3 NA's....the difference in ranking among Ellerby,Blum and Alzner between CSS and ISS is very interesting as is ISS's much higher rankings for Petrecki and Negrin whereas cSS has these 2 D-men only in the 2nd round....I think a big surprise on the CSS NA lis is that an American High Schooler,D-man TOMMY CROSS is at #10--when this is the very first time I've heard his name come up--certainly I do not recall any posters mentioning him as a possible top ten pick or even 1st rounder...

SO--again we have some big discrepancies of views on several players...now We'll see how Woodlief at Redline chimes in with his 2cents worth...

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
It goes to show you how much of a crap-shoot this year's draft is.

IMO, Esposito is WAY to high. He's a talented player... but I would have him rated 10-15... not number 1!

Voracek and Coture should be in the top 10 IMO aswell.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Don't know how Gagner is rated higher than Kane, and Alzner should be the highest ranked WHL defenceman in the draft.....

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Some of the debate on the d-men rankings should be clarified at the Top Prospects Game--sure its only 1 game,and sure guys like Cross and Petrecki won;t be there--but we can see for oursleves how Alzner really stcks up vs. Ellerby,Blum,Negrin,Ross Doyle,Hickey,Katic etc..

Of course the NA forward won't be there ,Kyle Turris,may be better than any forward in this draft...with the Russian transfer problem maybe someone will take
Cherepanov higher than Turris --but maybe not---in which case he should go in the top 5 ...and depending on whether Couture shines or not in the 2nd half,and whther teams agree with the CSS or the ISS view on Esposito,Turris could still be the first centre taken in the draft--but I don't think he'll go lower than #6 in any case... Pat Kane--despite the size issue,has too much talent also not to go top5 somewhere...so I think there is a consensus at least to a bottom for Kane and Turris...in the top 5-6...which is a correct consenus--they won't drop lower than that...

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
I believe a lot of people were saying that MICHAEL BIEGA (Alex's brother, the one drafter by Buffalo last year) Was a hell of a player but he didn't make the list at all, am i missing something?

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Glad to see Alex Biega made the list :sarcasm:

I think he really has a shot of getting picked this year! :dunno:

I think he will. I predict:innocent: a team like, I don't know:dunno: maybe Buffalo will take him in the 5th round. :biglaugh:

I am sure you have double checked the Biega you are talking about.:)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I believe a lot of people were saying that MICHAEL BIEGA (Alex's brother, the one drafter by Buffalo last year) Was a hell of a player but he didn't make the list at all, am i missing something?

it is a typo with Alex's name in place of Michael's. I'm hoping the Habs take a look at Michael, although that would mean I'd have to root for Havard next year, and as a Cornell fan that just doesn't seem right.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec

You are.
:eek:

Edit:
I checked on TSN and in the format they have the list it is Alex who is there. I was sure I saw a list in alphabetical order and it was Michael.

TSN screwed up. The link we have on the first post has the right player.

Last edited:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
He was actually 7th among QMJHL forwards :) But yeah it is a huge jump for him in CSS's mind.

What is your opinion on Negrin being ranked 47th among NA-Skaters.

I think Negrin at 47 is probably very fair. He hasn't played a whole bunch this season, and he has alot of raw talent that he needs to show us he can use; maybe more of a project than an Alzner or Ellerby. Blum shouldn't be so high IMO because of his size; he needs to put on alot of weight, he reminds me alot of teammate Brendan Mikkelson, but I think Blum is more talented in just about every way.

Anyone else think it's weird that Sexsmith is listed as the 8th ranked NA goaltender...one ahead of Loverock. :sarcasm:

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
it is a typo with Alex's name in place of Michael's. I'm hoping the Habs take a look at Michael, although that would mean I'd have to root for Havard next year, and as a Cornell fan that just doesn't seem right.

Yes, it's Michael Biega, for anyone wondering. From what I've been able to gather, he's been doing great at Salibury. If memory serves me correctly, he's one of, if not the leading scorers on the team. Salisbury has been one prep school that has been turning out great talent for some time.

As for my thoughts on the mid-term rankings....what's with the lack of looking at the collegians? Sweatt and Knelsen both LVs?! C'mon, these guys are two of the best players eligible from the NCAA ranks. I'll give them props on ranking Galiardi high and including Brendan Nash.

Transported Upstater

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :madfire: :madfire: :madfire:

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
There are huge surprises in the top 10.

Like Blum ahead of Alzner...i can see some likeing Ellerby over Alzner so that isnt a big surprise.

Gagner over Kane is a definate surprise for me.

No Couture OR Voracek in the top 10 is another big surprise.

Sure Couture and Voracek are big surprises. I'd replace Esposito with Voracek in a heartbeat, but Couture was sick which may have affected his ranking. And besides, in the terms of CSS, I honestly don't get overly surprised with their rankings this season. I was dissapointed in their Preliminary ones as well. I honestly consider Katic a potential top fifteen pick and they have him at 60. Kurtis Mucha is the 23rd rated North American goaltender, I think he's top 10.

And for the last poster, he's ranked 22nd.

turnbuckle*

Voracek and Alzner are still too low, but they've moved up quite a bit...alzener was the 14th ranked defenceman in the WHL in the preliminary rankings. Skokan ranked ahead of Voracek? Yikes!!! I know NHL teams that won't consider Skokan before the third round, and that's without question. He has skating abilities but there are major red flags in his effort and his hands

Other discrepancies from what McKeen's is seeing:

IMO Negrin should be higher...Katic should be much higher, same with tyrell.

Paccioretty too high, Palushaj and Petrecki too low, Korostin too low, Matt Marshall too high, Kevin Marshall too low.

Where the heck is Sweatt?

Cross has been getting some good reviews from NHL scouts I've been talking with, but 10th in NA? I've heard he may be considered at the end of the first, start of the second. One of our US scouts, who has seen him play six times this season, doesn't like him before the third round.

We're just finalizing our top 200 list - there has been some movement in the past month. We'll be releasing the Top 200 list when our Draft Digest is launched next week.

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
Voracek and Alzner are still too low, but they've moved up quite a bit...alzener was the 14th ranked defenceman in the WHL in the preliminary rankings. Skokan ranked ahead of Voracek? Yikes!!! I know NHL teams that won't consider Skokan before the third round, and that's without question. He has skating abilities but there are major red flags in his effort and his hands

Other discrepancies from what McKeen's is seeing:

IMO Negrin should be higher...Katic should be much higher, same with tyrell.

Paccioretty too high, Palushaj and Petrecki too low, Korostin too low, Matt Marshall too high, Kevin Marshall too low.

Where the heck is Sweatt?

Cross has been getting some good reviews from NHL scouts I've been talking with, but 10th in NA? I've heard he may be considered at the end of the first, start of the second. One of our US scouts, who has seen him play six times this season, doesn't like him before the third round.

We're just finalizing our top 200 list - there has been some movement in the past month. We'll be releasing the Top 200 list when our Draft Digest is launched next week.

I totally agree with that. I've haven't really put much faith in CSS, favouring more or less the ISS and McKeens. I look forward to your rankings, but I'm not a subscriber so basically the only way I'll get a good glimpse of it is through here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->