Central Scouting Final Rankings

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
Can someone give a scouting report on BRYCE SWAN? I havn't heard of him and now he is in the 1st round for N.A. Thanks!

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
faucette78 said:
Can someone give a scouting report on BRYCE SWAN? I havn't heard of him and now he is in the 1st round for N.A. Thanks!

Only played 35 games this year because of a number of injuries. Dislocated shoulder when someone he was going to hit moved and he hit the glass. Steped on a puck and pulled his groin and he broke his hand in a fight. Scouts have said normally having that many injuries would be cause for concern but it is more bad luck than being fragile.

He probably wont be a big scorer at the next level but he is a good skater, he plays physical, he is good on the PK. Smart player.

I see him more in the late 2nd round.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
OilerOlli said:
Joenssu 18th from all eurpeans, that is stupid. And they forgot Gawlik. But germans are always underrated at the draft day...

The way Joensuu is playing now, he should be a lock for the first round. The later you get him, the bigger a steal he is. His play has been really mature and impressive recently. On Thursday he was simply magnificent in the SM-Liiga finals, as he wanted to "make up" for the stupid penalty he took. There was this kid pushing people around, hitting everythig he could and skating his heart out.

Unfortunately for JJ, a poor WJC pushes him down, despite him just improving on a daily basis while playing against big hairy men.

JJ outside of the top 10 drafted = steal.

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
Raimo Sillanpää said:
The way Joensuu is playing now, he should be a lock for the first round. The later you get him, the bigger a steal he is. His play has been really mature and impressive recently. On Thursday he was simply magnificent in the SM-Liiga finals, as he wanted to "make up" for the stupid penalty he took. There was this kid pushing people around, hitting everythig he could and skating his heart out.

Unfortunately for JJ, a poor WJC pushes him down, despite him just improving on a daily basis while playing against big hairy men.

JJ outside of the top 10 drafted = steal.

100% trueth.

Small Brain Presence

These CSB rankings are insane. What did Toews do to rocket past Kessel? Was it his remarkable 2 assist performance at the WJC's? Any team that bypasses Kessel will do so at their own peril. His output at Minnesota was stifled by the system that Lucia plays and the fact that the first powerplay unit was designed to set up Potulny for the one timer from the left side of the net. Don't forget that Kessel averaged more than a goal a game playing against university teams when he was with the U.S. under 18 team. He will be a superstar at the NHL level and the CSB will look like idiots again.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Taxman said:
Am I missing something, or are 8 of the top 10 prospects Centers???

This is good news for the Thrashers since it seems like their #1 priority is at C.

I hope Sheppard is still there at pick #12.
HOPE! I think if there is any movement to the top 10 he could be gone. :dunno:

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
yaz said:
His output at Minnesota was stifled by the system that Lucia plays and the fact that the first powerplay unit was designed to set up Potulny for the one timer from the left side of the net.

You are clueless. Kessel only had 8 less shots for the season than Potulny and he took the second most shots on their team (181). Over half of his goals were on the power play. Think before you write. :teach:

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
yaz said:
These CSB rankings are insane. What did Toews do to rocket past Kessel? Was it his remarkable 2 assist performance at the WJC's? Any team that bypasses Kessel will do so at their own peril. His output at Minnesota was stifled by the system that Lucia plays and the fact that the first powerplay unit was designed to set up Potulny for the one timer from the left side of the net. Don't forget that Kessel averaged more than a goal a game playing against university teams when he was with the U.S. under 18 team. He will be a superstar at the NHL level and the CSB will look like idiots again.
LOL think a little bit here. Was Toews' job to lead the team. NO! He was the youngest player on the ice for Canada. It said a lot about him just being there since Canada isn't known to want to take young players. Kessel was suppose to lead his team, and the tournament in scoring. And he did that. A lot of people underrated his tournament, but then some people overrate it incredibly. His play was inconsistent. He had flashes of brilliance, and flashes of "what the heck was that". Haha yes Kessel was so hindered by Lucia's system. Lucia doesn't care about offense, he likes defensive forwards and would rather not have flashy offense :sarcasm: . Give me a break. Have you ever seen Minnesota play? Always one of the most scary and powerful offenses in the NCAA. Not one gopher fan will tell you that Lucia's system hampered Kessel's play. It helped him tremendously because Lucia loves offense. He might be a superstar in the NHL, but that last post was just idiotic by you.

jaydub*

Who cares what these rankings say? I cannot see both pitt and stl passing on Kessel. He by far has the best offensive potential in this years class. As much as I hope he falls to the hawks at 3rd, I know he won't. No matter what these rankings say, no GM is going to take Brassard over Kessel.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
yaz said:
Don't forget that Kessel averaged more than a goal a game playing against university teams when he was with the U.S. under 18 team.

Those stats are a bit misleading. A lot of colleges, especially the top schools, don't play their best players in those games. Backup goalies and walk-ons get playing time. And a lot of schools also don't bring their 'A' or even 'B' game against the U-18 team, but really just half-*** it.

Sammy*

yaz said:
I think the scouts have just a bit more of of a clue than you seem to think.
With your powers of prognostication & talent analysis, I'm sure you are very highly sought after for your evaluation of draft age talent.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
1. How many Euros do think will go in the First Round this year? (3/4?)

2. How many in the top 15? (2?)

Small Brain Presence

Boy, you anti-Kessel idiots are touchy. I think I'll put up my four decades of watching thousands of hockey games against your supposed knowledge.

Sammy*

yaz said:
Boy, you anti-Kessel idiots are touchy. I think I'll put up my four decades of watching thousands of hockey games against your supposed knowledge.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I think your real beef is with the professional scouts there buddy.
I think collectivly they have just a bit more on the ball than somme fanboy who has watched hockey for 4 decades & who has a woodie for some teenager.

Last edited by a moderator:

Small Brain Presence

Is this the kind of insightful post you want:

IMO Kessel>>>>>>>>>>>>Toews

There you go, try to knock that one down. This way I'll have 3579 posts
in three months and I can intimidate new people with a bunch of
condescending, patronizing nonsense. LOL LOL LOL LOL

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Yaz.....quite while you are merely behind (Lucia's defensive minded system stiffling Kessel, best friggen comment I heard yet! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: )

Months ago several posters indicated that Toews may go ahead of Kessel. This was met by a firestorm from Kessel supporters. The fact is though, that every major scouting service now has Toews rated above Kessel.

That should clue you in on somthing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
VOB said:
Yaz.....quite while you are merely behind (Lucia's defensive minded system stiffling Kessel, best friggen comment I heard yet! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: )

Months ago several posters indicated that Toews may go ahead of Kessel. This was met by a firestorm from Kessel supporters. The fact is though, that every major scouting service now has Toews rated above Kessel.

That should clue you in on somthing.

That's not true. ISS and CSB has Toews ahead of Kessel while McKeens and Redline has Kessel ahead of Toews. The differance of opinion tells me that Toews and Kessel aren't all that far apart, which is reality. Who goes first will revolve around team preference.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
That's not true. ISS and CSB has Toews ahead of Kessel while McKeens and Redline has Kessel ahead of Toews. The differance of opinion tells me that Toews and Kessel aren't all that far apart, which is reality. Who goes first will revolve around team preference.
Correctamundo.
What I find agitating is those who say one guy or another guy is a waaay better prospect (those top 4-7 anyways),& anybody who picks or rates one of those guys ahead of their boy (whoever that may be) is an idiot, when all the evidence thus far says a bunch of them are pretty equal as prospects.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
Correctamundo.
What I find agitating is those who say one guy or another guy is a waaay better prospect (those top 4-7 anyways),& anybody who picks or rates one of those guys ahead of their boy (whoever that may be) is an idiot, when all the evidence thus far says a bunch of them are pretty equal as prospects.

While I think Kessel is being underrated a fair amount of late, I am more than willing to acknowledge that he is much closer to the Toews and Staals of the world than the Crosbys and Ovechkins. That wasn't always the perception, and that's negatively affected how many view him as a prospect. He's not the American answer to Crosby, yet he's still a very good prospect in a draft that should feature a record number of Americans taken in the 1st round. That's something that I can appreciate.

Last edited:

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Rabid, I don't think anyone here has ever said that Toews is the superior player by a wide margin, but rather that he should be as highly regarded as Kessel and can turn out to be the better pro player.

Of course such a statement would have be met by ridicule by most at the the begining of the year but it now is a respected opinion by even those who disagree with it (such as yourself).

Yak of course remains in that dwindling camp who still feel that Kessel has no peers for the upcoming draft.

bigdeal44

Dec 11, 2005
You can rate the players how ever you want, but on draft day it will come down to what the team picking needs and thinks about the players. If St. Louis thinks Kessel is a can't miss, they will take him. If they think Staal or Johnson or Toews is, they will take one of them. All you people over react to what scouts think about which player is better. I hope Kessel falls all the way to the end of the first round so the Red Wings can take him. Im sure they would let him pass them by.

turnbuckle*

Rabid Ranger put it best - some have Toews ahead, some have Kessel ahead, so they are more than likely close in many scouts' ratings. Mind you that's a different story than what we heard a few months ago from RR and others when Bob McKenzie first suggested that Toews and Kessel were a lot closer than many envisioned. He was accused of being a Canadian homer because there was no possible way they were close. Anyway - they ARE close, and so are Staal and Johnson (rated first of course) and Backstrom.

I'm reminded a bit of the Malkin/Ovechkin draft when it comes to Keesel and Toews. One is close to a year older than the other and was hyped for three years leading up to the draft, while the other was only starting to get major hype a year or less before his draft. By draft day they were a lot closer in value than many had ever figured six months earlier. The comparisons end there though. Phil should be a 40-goal+, 50 assist+ player who won't be the next great defensive forward; he can be a Paul Kariya type I think. Toews has the potential to be a Trevor Linden in his prime, a 75-point+ forward that does everything. Depends what you're looking for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad