GDT: Central division race to the playoffs + other games, 5th of May - 10th of May

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Bad loss for Nashville, Dallas faces Chicago 2 times and Tampa once. Nashville plays the Canes twice. Nashville needs 2 points or any Dallas loss to clinch.
Eh

If we beat Tampa even once, Carolina clinches just by winning one. They can rest everyone the last game and give Nashville a free ride in.

Dallas needed tonight especially with that Preds loss

Reactions: harv33173

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
McBackup in for Tampa so we get Vasi twice. Dallas up 2-0 halfway through. A Dallas regulation win would have us and Tampa enter the final two tied (they have tiebreaker)

Reactions: harv33173

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Well I don't want to count the chickens too early but with Dallas heading for a regulation win (up 3 with a period to play) here is the scenario for the final 2:

Panthers and Tampa will enter tied with Tampa holding the tiebreaker. Panthers earn home ice with a regulation win and OTL or two wins of any kind.

There are two chaos scenarios which will have one team pulling their goalie in a tie game late in game 2. Those would be a Panthers regulation win in game 1 (Tampa would pull their goalie because an OT point in game 2 would have the Panthers clinch) or a Tampa OTW in game 1 (Panthers would pull their goalie because regulation win is the only way they can clinch).

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
What an interesting finish.

There’s that whole situation FlaPanthers11 described above for second seed.

Then there’s the battle for fourth. Dallas with 2 against Chicago. Nashville with 2 against Carolina, whom they’ll play in round one if they get enough to keep the fourth seed.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Nashville and Dallas have the same amount of games played, but Nashville has a two point advantage, and owns the tiebreaker.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Nashville and Dallas have the same amount of games played, but Nashville has a two point advantage, and owns the tiebreaker.
True, but they’re playing CAR, whom they’ll face in the first round if they win, so quite a bit on the line for them. And CAR can’t go into the series by playing their AHL squad the last two games.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
True, but they’re playing CAR, whom they’ll face in the first round if they win, so quite a bit on the line for them. And CAR can’t go into the series by playing their AHL squad the last two games.

Any reason why? That's what I would do if I as Carolina (at least the last game). these are exhibition games for them.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I really hope Florida media will pick up on this. Potential for huge ticket sales for next season and promote the sport. In the 90's they would marketed the shit out of this with commercials with explosions and such ;)

I really hope this sorta ESPN intro etc returns next season

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Any reason why? That's what I would do if I as Carolina (at least the last game). these are exhibition games for them.
Because they can’t assume Nashville is going to be a cakewalk for the series, so sitting several starters (more than say 2) can backfire. It will light the fire on the Preds, they get 3 or 4 points from the games, it tells them “CAR wanted to play against you so go kick their asses”. If CAR then loses the series, the decision to sit several starters in these games will come up.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I really hope Florida media will pick up on this. Potential for huge ticket sales for next season and promote the sport. In the 90's they would marketed the shit out of this with commercials with explosions and such ;)

I really hope this sorta ESPN intro etc returns next season

That was awesome, thanks so much for posting that! I remember watching that game. Definitely brings me back. One of the best games they played all playoffs that year. Imagine icing 2 rookie defenseman in the playoffs? Well you can when their names are Ed Jovanovski and Roberts Svehla. Svehla in particular, what a beast!

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Because they can’t assume Nashville is going to be a cakewalk for the series, so sitting several starters (more than say 2) can backfire. It will light the fire on the Preds, they get 3 or 4 points from the games, it tells them “CAR wanted to play against you so go kick their asses”. If CAR then loses the series, the decision to sit several starters in these games will come up.
A bit of a tough spot for Carolina, because they certainly shouldn't want a hot Dallas team in the playoffs either.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site

I can see the Preds resting players themselves for the 2nd game if they clinch after the first one. They hold both tiebreakers over the Stars so all they need is 2 pts or a Stars loss to close it out. Carolina likely rests several key guys for both games.

A bit of a tough spot for Carolina, because they certainly shouldn't want a hot Dallas team in the playoffs either.

Small chance of that happening. Dallas is playing well, but Chicago still will be motivated to wreck the Stars' season. And as I mentioned before, the Preds hold both tiebreakers. Dallas needs nothing short of all 4 points and some help.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
That was awesome, thanks so much for posting that! I remember watching that game. Definitely brings me back. One of the best games they played all playoffs that year. Imagine icing 2 rookie defenseman in the playoffs? Well you can when their names are Ed Jovanovski and Roberts Svehla. Svehla in particular, what a beast!

I second that...thanks for that was totally awesome. I had forgotten Marty Straka.

I remember how crazy the crowds were at the old Miami Arena...it was so loud it felt like the building was shaking.
That really was a true home ice advantage...:nod::hockey::stanley:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Anyone looking for some more meaningful hockey go ahead and pull up Nashville trying to clinch vs CAR. Nashville leading 1-0 at the start of the 3rd. They need a win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->