Center Ice vs GameCenter

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Another pro (if you're undecided but tech savvy enough) is that you could get GCL for the international price of $99.95 USD (or 5x $19.99). Idk if there are any additional promo codes floating around the web, but that price would be twice the amount of last year's discounted rate.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Another pro (if you're undecided but tech savvy enough) is that you could get GCL for the international price of $99.95 USD (or 5x $19.99). Idk if there are any additional promo codes floating around the web, but that price would be twice the amount of last year's discounted rate.

I imagine that just means accessing the page through a European proxy and ordering, with billing information being irrelevant?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
so far... it's disappointing.

My cable provider Internet Speed is only 20 Mbps... is this why I am experiencing blurriness (when the camera moves quickly on an outlet pass - example), and the game is freezing to load (about 6 times in the 1st period alone).... taking around 10 seconds each time...

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia

My cable provider Internet Speed is only 20 Mbps... is this why I am experiencing blurriness (when the camera moves quickly on an outlet pass - example), and the game is freezing to load (about 6 times in the 1st period alone).... taking around 10 seconds each time...

Xbox app or PC?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

I don't think that's a download speed. Probably high latency. What is the milliseconds value returned for www.speedtest.net?

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011

Sounds like latency to me as well. Don't have an Xbox, so not familiar with that version.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I'm impressed with Gamecenter Live through my XBox so far. I had it about three years ago and used it only through my computer, but my Internet connection was terrible in the dorms where I lived. Now that I have a great connection I absolutely love it. Super high quality through my XBox.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
GCL worked pretty well last night.

Tested on both my Roku and Xbox. Quality on both was acceptable. Not quite the feed you get from CI, but close enough where you don't notice the difference. Comparing both in HD, of course.

A small amount of stuttering, which happened 3 or 4 times. It would last a secord or two each time. Clearly it was dropping frames. Barely noticable.

In the end, the CI feeds are clearly higher bitrate, and of course the same resolution (wouldn't it be nice if we could get 1080p sports feeds on TV or streaming? Oh well, to the future...) which leads to a better overall picture IQ, but with the convienences of GCL it wins outright for me.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
Is it true that you cannot be logged in to multiple devices at the same time? I have roommates, so GC would really only make sense if we could use our various devices (Apple tv, ipad, iphone) simultaneously to watch our respective teams. Otherwise, I don't see the advantage over CI, which has a higher quality feed presumably and is not subject to internet connectivity issues.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I had CI last year since it was only $50 for the shortened season. I switched to GCL this season. I'm not in a hockey market, which means I get every game. Plus I'm not always home when games are on, so I can watch them on my phone when I'm at the gym and what not.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Is it true that you cannot be logged in to multiple devices at the same time? I have roommates, so GC would really only make sense if we could use our various devices (Apple tv, ipad, iphone) simultaneously to watch our respective teams. Otherwise, I don't see the advantage over CI, which has a higher quality feed presumably and is not subject to internet connectivity issues.

I was logged in to both my Roku and Xbox last night at the same time, however, they are both on the same external IP. I have not tried it with devices on different networks.

drhuh

Sep 9, 2013
Buffalo, NY

last night I was able to use my apple tv and my laptop at the same time with gamecenter.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I was logged in to both my Roku and Xbox last night at the same time, however, they are both on the same external IP. I have not tried it with devices on different networks.

I was able to watch it on my laptop and XBox at the same time yesterday, too, but I also have not tried both at the same time on different networks. I'll try to test it out tonight and see what happens.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I like Gamecenter a lot. Two cons I have with it though -

1) Games are available live or after a blackout period - meaning if you miss the live game and you want to watch it the next morning or afternoon, you most likely won't be able to

2) The XBOX playback was very slow at times for me and would freeze up and buffer a lot. (I actually forgot about this until Jame mentioned it). It would typically work fine on my laptop though.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

1) Games are available live or after a blackout period - meaning if you miss the live game and you want to watch it the next morning or afternoon, you most likely won't be able to

2) The XBOX playback was very slow at times for me and would freeze up and buffer a lot. (I actually forgot about this until Jame mentioned it). It would typically work fine on my laptop though.

In my experience, you can replay games immediately and get around the blackout by browsing the game through the daily scoreboard rather than the calendar. Perhaps that only worked on Xbox and not the web site, I forget. I definitely did it all of the time on Xbox.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND

That's only the case with games that you were blacked out with in the first place. So, if you're blacked out from the Sabres game tonight, then you wouldn't be able to watch it for 48 hours. However, if you want to watch the Toronto-Philadelphia game right after the game ends, you'd be able to if you weren't blacked out originally.

I just tested it out, and I'm able to watch the replay of both of the Canadian games, but not the Washington-Chicago game.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
For those frustrated with blackouts, do a bit of googling on VPNs...

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
That's only the case with games that you were blacked out with in the first place. So, if you're blacked out from the Sabres game tonight, then you wouldn't be able to watch it for 48 hours. However, if you want to watch the Toronto-Philadelphia game right after the game ends, you'd be able to if you weren't blacked out originally.

I just tested it out, and I'm able to watch the replay of both of the Canadian games, but not the Washington-Chicago game.

I'll have to try that out, thanks for the tip. TBH I usually use my laptop because the lag can be so bad with my xbox. Last night's game was def not available when I got home from rehearsal but I was expecting that because it was NBCSports. I'll have to try tomorrow night.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
im frustrated with it... and want to know if getting a better router, or increasing my provider internet speed would improve the quality...

help?

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
Gamecenter problems

Anyone else have problems w gamecenter? Specifically, more often than not, out of market games on my phone are blacked out. Even games that are not nationally televised. It's annoying especially when your paying this much for the service

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
maybe a mod can merge this with the thread i started a few weeks ago...

in my gamecenter experience... i've moved on from the xbox as a distribution method (it sucked), and grabbed a Roku... and it works great.

I've had no problems with blackouts other than the nationally televised games

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
I knew I saw a thread about gamecenter somewhere. Sorry about that. I have center ice at home so I use Game Center for my phone. Changing devices isn't really an option. Just wish it worked the way it should

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad