Center Ice vs GameCenter

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
vote for Centre Ice, all you need to do is turn on TV and you have access to every game. It's simple

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
GCL definitely has some advantages (cost, on-the-road access and archived games), but the quality on DirecTV CI is so good that I don't want to make the switch. I also seem to remember from a couple of years ago that the games weren't available immediately on GCL. In other words, if I want to start watching the game 1 or 2 hours late, it wasn't available in archive form yet. This matters to me since I live in California and can't start watching most games live at 4:00 pm.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I have had Center Ice for years.....

For me I am not a gamer so connecting game center to TV would be a PITA.

Benefits of gamecenter is the mobile aspects...but I would be concerned of your source is through cell phones because of data useage limits, choking, and slow video streaming. WIFI you would have better luck.

Im not as worried about seeing road feeds of games....i dont need announcers to follow games.

Outside of heavy nights, many games you get dual feeds of games. Direct TV its best because they give all feeds.

Puddy

Oct 24, 2002
parts unknown
Visit site
Does Gamecenter have a free preview to start season?

I love CenterIce, but Sabres home coverage was extremely rare last season and I would switch for just that reason.

I do know that GCL was delayed a minute when I called a friend watching the same game. And I don't want to wait any extra for that first Cup.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I've had both Center Ice and Gamecenter.

Gamecenter has been my choice the last few years watching on my laptop in the same room as other family members who are hogging the TV.

Test Drive? Maybe. IIRC they may have had a free preview at the beginning of the season last year. If not I think you can watch the first few minutes of a live game before you have to log in. You could try a game on Tuesday and see if you like the quality vs. center ice.

My favorite feature(s): I love that you can pause, rewind/forward 10 seconds, slow motion, etc. The pause is good if you have interruptions (e.g. 3 year old waking up).

If I put the little guy to bed and start the game a little late or spend time rewinding to re-watch a fight/goal, I can then fast forward through the commercials and intermissions. I do miss Duff :(

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
You can turn scores on or off in the menu so when you browse the schedule you don't get spoilered.

How do you turn scores off? I didn't know you could do this.

If I start a game late. I just try not to look at the scores when I am logging in.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
How do you turn scores off? I didn't know you could do this.

If I start a game late. I just try not to look at the scores when I am logging in.

I was thinking specifically of the Xbox app, and I assume the apps for other devices have the same feature. Not sure if it is possible through the web site but it possibly is through your account settings.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I am thinking about picking up GCL while here in CR. If have a number of options to attach to the TV. :D

sabresfan3383

Dec 3, 2004
Tonawanda, NY
Vote for GCL. Got it 2 years ago and love being able to watch on my desktop, laptop, Apple TV, iPhone. Big bonus is choice of home or away broadcast and everything in HD.

I just wish local blackouts didn't apply. I work nights sometimes and would like to have the game going in corner of my eye at my desk haha

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
You might want to make sure that your local cable tv provider offers Center Ice in hd where you are. In Maryland, Comcast refuses to offer the games in HD. Have you ever watched a hockey game in standard definition on a 50" tv? It will give you nightmares.

With Gamecenter, I have had occasional quality hiccups, but it is usually fine. I have used it on my phone, my pc, and on the tv through Xbox.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Does GCL have any DVR capability while the games are still in progress? Like, is it possible to start watching a game from the beginning an hour after it started? or pause 1 game, watch another for a while, and then switch back to where you were in the first game?

I have Center Ice with direcTV but they screwed up their broadcasts a couple times last season causing me to miss some games so I was thinking about trying GCL. Couple problems though is 1) we rarely ever start a game on time - we always set the DVR and usually start an hour late or so. And 2) my wife is a Pens fan so when the Pens and Sabres play on the same night, we usually alternate periods. Again, DVR is set for both games so we can switch back and forth. We weren't sure how it would work with GCL if we'd be able to start a game late or switch between games without missing anything. Waiting until after the game for the archive is not an option for us either.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Does GCL have any DVR capability while the games are still in progress? Like, is it possible to start watching a game from the beginning an hour after it started? or pause 1 game, watch another for a while, and then switch back to where you were in the first game?

I have Center Ice with direcTV but they screwed up their broadcasts a couple times last season causing me to miss some games so I was thinking about trying GCL. Couple problems though is 1) we rarely ever start a game on time - we always set the DVR and usually start an hour late or so. And 2) my wife is a Pens fan so when the Pens and Sabres play on the same night, we usually alternate periods. Again, DVR is set for both games so we can switch back and forth. We weren't sure how it would work with GCL if we'd be able to start a game late or switch between games without missing anything. Waiting until after the game for the archive is not an option for us either.

See the last 2 paragraphs of my post #33 above.

I start games late. I've also gone and watched other games during intermission. I think when you log in it will start the game live but then you can go down below and move the sliding bar to where you want or press the "restart game" button.

Edit: I just found under the "more views" button you can choose picture in a picture or even mosaic view to select other games to watch.

Last edited:

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
GCL all the way. Works on all my devices (Xbox/phone/Roku), I can start a game late, and I can watch when I'm away from home.

The only downside is the IQ, which is slightly worse than CenterIce. It's close enough though.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
One thing with GC is that there's lag/delay. So if you like to use chat or Twitter during games, you'll be slightly behind and have things spoiled for you.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I have gamecenter. I like it better because all games are in HD v. center ice, which didn't carry them in HD when I was a subscriber (two years ago). Also, you usually get to choose home or away, don't have to worry about DVRing (you can start the stream delay at any time).

However, it is prone to some strange frame-rate issues that I have had to deal with on my Roku and PC that make it appear choppy at times.

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
I'll put my plug in for GCL. My cable co. doesn't offer any CI games in HD. Plus I don't use it to watch the B's games just out of market games. I really enjoy being able to watch B's games on my tv and division rivals like you guys on my laptop or tablet at the same time.

I do agree with some others that it can have some occasional framerate issues but it's still better than hockey in SD.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I have had gcl for a couple years now, because center ice is not available through my cable provider.

I have no trouble streaming the games through my pc, my phone, or android tablet. I also have roku boxes for my tvs. If you watch the app through your phone, data will be chewed up very quickly. I watched it on a wifi connection, so data wasn't an issue for me. They are crystal clear, and in HD for me. Occasionally, my isp hiccups and it may pause for a few moments, but that's rare.

You don't get to see anything during tv commercials, if that matters to you. Nothing really before or after the games either, just the game itself.

I think it's worth it, but there are some odd things I've noticed.

A couple years ago, the Sabres were playing in Buffalo against the Caps. I live in Va, about 65 miles from DC and the game was blacked out for me. I could see if it were in DC, but playing in Buffalo? wtf?

Any game that's on the NHL network are blacked out as well. My cable provider doesn't have NHL network, so I can't watch the games at all then. Why am I paying to be able to watch the games online, if they block them because they are on a channel I cannot get? In cases like that I look for a stream from a link on here.

Overall, I think it's a good deal, and allows me to watch many of the games I could never watch before.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
so the app through my xbox says "NHL Gamecenter is not available, please try again later", when i try to play a game from the vault...

ominous start....

grrr...

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I made the switch from CI to GCL as well, mostly due to my shift change to overnights and me not having a TV in my office.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I haven't read this whole thread yet but my cable company has Center Ice listed as 4 payments of $39.99.

They are referring to it as the "Early Bird" price.:laugh:

Which means its going to get more expensive after the free period is over?:amazed:

Anyways what's this BS I've been seeing on the web that current Center Ice prices are the lowest in 5 years???:shakehead

Anyone getting a different CABLE price than the one I've been quoted? (Dish/Direct doesn't help since I don't have either of them.....)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad