Center Ice vs GameCenter

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I've had Center Ice on cable forever... thinking about switching to GameCenter. What are the pros/cons of gamecenter?

I've never had Center Ice but I don't think I'm missing any relevant knowledge about it, so here are the pros and cons of GameCenter:
Pros:
- All games are archived. You can watch any game going back to like the 2005 or 2006 season, plus there are a ton of classic games going back decades. You can watch these games on home or away broadcasts.
- You can use it on your TV (via gaming console, set top box, smart TV, computer output, etc) just like Center Ice, but you can also use it on your computers and portable devices.
- Home and away broadcasts for every game. No having to listen to the Bruins feed for a Sabres game.
- Again, it's pretty damn sweet being able to rewatch any game at any time. You can turn scores on or off in the menu so when you browse the schedule you don't get spoilered.
- Considerably cheaper

Cons:
- No in-market games, but you can always use an out-of-market proxy to fool it. I did that last season to watch Sabres games because I don't have digital cable (and thus no HD channels). I suppose this is really a pro, because Center Ice doesn't have in-market games and there's no way around that.
- Very high quality is available but your connection might have hiccups with the highest setting, or your video card if it is really old like mine. The latter isn't relevant if you have a non-ancient computer or are using another device. The former is probably only relevant if you have a crappy wireless router/poor signal quality.
- There will occasionally be connection or packet drops but for me they were very rare and very brief. Definitely not something to turn you off in my experience

Considering I imagine you'd love to be able to watch any game leaguewide at your convenience, GameCenter seems the no-brainer for you, so long as you have a way to get it on your TV if that's your preferred method.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
How do you hook game center up to your tv with just a cable box? I don't have a gaming console nor do I have a wire to connect laptop to TV , which would be annoying. What are other options? I'm out of market anyways so sabres won't be blacked out unless playing the three locals, which I can watch on cable.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
How do you hook game center up to your tv with just a cable box? I don't have a gaming console nor do I have a wire to connect laptop to TV , which would be annoying. What are other options? I'm out of market anyways so sabres won't be blacked out unless playing the three locals, which I can watch on cable.

PS3, XBOX, or a set top box like a Apple TV or Google TV unit.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Here are the ways of getting it on your TV:
- If you have a smart TV (a fairly recent concept), there is presumably a GameCenter app for it. I would assume you don't have one or you'd likely be aware of the fact your TV can access internet services via apps.
- You get a set-top box which is basically a device that provides the same functionality smart TV's have built in, with apps to access GameCenter, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc
- Similarly, there are 'smart' Bluray/DVD players which have the same crap. Most recent ones all have that functionality, with some having wireless internet access and some only having wired
- You output your computer audio/video to your TV via HDMI or other available connections
- Gaming console, which you've already said you don't have

I'm not sure how much the cheapest set-top box runs you, but I assume you can get one fairly cheap. That'd be your easiest way of doing this if you don't want to use your computer and have no other already-available method.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Here are the ways of getting it on your TV:
- If you have a smart TV (a fairly recent concept), there is presumably a GameCenter app for it. I would assume you don't have one or you'd likely be aware of the fact your TV can access internet services via apps.
- You get a set-top box which is basically a device that provides the same functionality smart TV's have built in, with apps to access GameCenter, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc
- Similarly, there are 'smart' Bluray/DVD players which have the same crap. Most recent ones all have that functionality, with some having wireless internet access and some only having wired
- You output your computer audio/video to your TV via HDMI or other available connections
- Gaming console, which you've already said you don't have

I'm not sure how much the cheapest set-top box runs you, but I assume you can get one fairly cheap. That'd be your easiest way of doing this if you don't want to use your computer and have no other already-available method.

I bought a Vizio Co-Star for $99 ..

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I've never had Center Ice but I don't think I'm missing any relevant knowledge about it, so here are the pros and cons of GameCenter:
Pros:
- All games are archived. You can watch any game going back to like the 2005 or 2006 season, plus there are a ton of classic games going back decades. You can watch these games on home or away broadcasts.
- You can use it on your TV (via gaming console, set top box, smart TV, computer output, etc) just like Center Ice, but you can also use it on your computers and portable devices.
- Home and away broadcasts for every game. No having to listen to the Bruins feed for a Sabres game.
- Again, it's pretty damn sweet being able to rewatch any game at any time. You can turn scores on or off in the menu so when you browse the schedule you don't get spoilered.
- Considerably cheaper

Cons:
- No in-market games, but you can always use an out-of-market proxy to fool it. I did that last season to watch Sabres games because I don't have digital cable (and thus no HD channels). I suppose this is really a pro, because Center Ice doesn't have in-market games and there's no way around that.
- Very high quality is available but your connection might have hiccups with the highest setting, or your video card if it is really old like mine. The latter isn't relevant if you have a non-ancient computer or are using another device. The former is probably only relevant if you have a crappy wireless router/poor signal quality.
- There will occasionally be connection or packet drops but for me they were very rare and very brief. Definitely not something to turn you off in my experience

Considering I imagine you'd love to be able to watch any game leaguewide at your convenience, GameCenter seems the no-brainer for you, so long as you have a way to get it on your TV if that's your preferred method.

that was pretty much my main concern.

I've used other "non-legal" services for international stuff, but for the regular NHL season, I always went with center ice because it was reliable.

i think im going to make the switch.

how's the mobile app?

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
I love GCL.

I used to just watch it on my computer, but now I have a smart blu-ray player that has it built in (I believe only Sony players have the rights currently). I also just bought a chromecast, and that's pretty awesome. Now I can just pull up the game in chrome on my main computer, and stream it directly to the TV.

My only complaint is that often I can't get the intermission reports, regardless of who the home team is.

edit: In regards to packet loss, it used to be very, very seldom, at least for me. Last year I don't remember any issues.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
that was pretty much my main concern.

I've used other "non-legal" services for international stuff, but for the regular NHL season, I always went with center ice because it was reliable.

i think im going to make the switch.

how's the mobile app?

What mobile app would you be using? Ipad? Phone?

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Can you record games on Game Center ?

You don't have to, games are available on demand right after they finish. I forgot to mention that "condensed" games are also available. These aren't the 10 minute extended highlights you can get for free, these are more like an hour of the best action with all the broadcasting fluff cut out. It's a good way to watch league-wide games that you want to check out but don't really want to put a full 2+ hours time in.

snoop244

Oct 16, 2010
For those of us in Toronto (and, I guess, anyone "in market" that wants to use the proxy method), be careful if you go for GCL. The mobile app usually won't work as it requires you to allow the app to use your location - which is set by your device GPS if your device has one - it is NOT set by the location of your proxy even if you use wireless over the proxy. The proxy method worked fine on my computer.

This could be because I'm in Toronto, but I think it applies to all in-marketers.

Two years ago I took the leap during preseason. It worked fine. When the season started all of the games were blacked out and my 5 day money back guarantee was expired. Think I could get my money back? 20 e-mails later still no satisfaction.

I tend to start games late to skip commercial breaks. This was hard for me on GCL and easier on a PVR'd Center Ice. I travel a lot so I end up getting both.

fiend540

Sep 9, 2011
I'm going on my third year of GCL now here in Denver and I think it's well worth the money. The pros/cons are pretty much covered by Rob Paxon, and I know you read a ton of *****ing on hfboards about the quality but it has rarely been an issue for me. I normally use either a laptop hooked up to my tv or the PS3 with the PS3 being the one that would occasionally have quality or lagging issues. I've used it on my phone a handful of times as well and the quality was surprisingly good. The only thing that I can't stand about it is games on Center Ice are blacked out, totally understand local/national broadcasts being blocked but CI games being blocked is total crap imo.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm going on my third year of GCL now here in Denver and I think it's well worth the money. The pros/cons are pretty much covered by Rob Paxon, and I know you read a ton of *****ing on hfboards about the quality but it has rarely been an issue for me. I normally use either a laptop hooked up to my tv or the PS3 with the PS3 being the one that would occasionally have quality or lagging issues. I've used it on my phone a handful of times as well and the quality was surprisingly good. The only thing that I can't stand about it is games on Center Ice are blacked out, totally understand local/national broadcasts being blocked but CI games being blocked is total crap imo.

I think you mean games on NHL Network are blacked out, which I agree is extremely annoying, since I don't get NHL Network on the TV I usually use.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
For those of us in Toronto (and, I guess, anyone "in market" that wants to use the proxy method), be careful if you go for GCL. The mobile app usually won't work as it requires you to allow the app to use your location - which is set by your device GPS if your device has one - it is NOT set by the location of your proxy even if you use wireless over the proxy. The proxy method worked fine on my computer.

This could be because I'm in Toronto, but I think it applies to all in-marketers.

Two years ago I took the leap during preseason. It worked fine. When the season started all of the games were blacked out and my 5 day money back guarantee was expired. Think I could get my money back? 20 e-mails later still no satisfaction.

I tend to start games late to skip commercial breaks. This was hard for me on GCL and easier on a PVR'd Center Ice. I travel a lot so I end up getting both.

I noticed this too, but all I had to do was relaunch the android app while my proxy was already started. It seems to grab the initial IP address and not change it until the app is restarted.

The android app works OK though it will sometimes hang when popping up notifications.

fiend540

Sep 9, 2011
I think you mean games on NHL Network are blacked out, which I agree is extremely annoying, since I don't get NHL Network on the TV I usually use.

Ha Yeah, that's totally what I meant. Super frustrating mostly because I don't even have cable so it's not an option.

Feisar

Dec 12, 2008
Frankfurt/Main
One of the main pros for me is that when I travel I can still watch it pretty much anywhere in the world with a decent connection.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
One of the main pros for me is that when I travel I can still watch it pretty much anywhere in the world with a decent connection.

I would agree with this if I had either one.

I think the con for me (and pro for center ice) is the initial setup hassle. My laptop is fried so I only have an iPad. There's no way to hook up an iPad to a tv and stream is there?

The convenience of just turning the tv on and in 2 seconds going to a center ice channel is nice.

I do have an Xbox but I don't pay for Xbox live. That doesn't matter does it?

I'm so out of the loop.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
id be using xbox to stream in my living room...

I've had GC for two years, I use Xbox for TV and iPhone too...never any issues. Unless your cable provider is DirecTV (all HD feeds, home and road) Gamecenter is the way to go.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

My experience using it through Xbox was excellent and I generally preferred using it because my computer's video card sucks. The web app blocks you from replaying in-market games for like 48 hours yet through the Xbox app I was able to replay any game immediately after it finished by accessing through the daily scoreboard. Everything ran smooth at high quality.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I would agree with this if I had either one.

I think the con for me (and pro for center ice) is the initial setup hassle. My laptop is fried so I only have an iPad. There's no way to hook up an iPad to a tv and stream is there?

The convenience of just turning the tv on and in 2 seconds going to a center ice channel is nice.

I do have an Xbox but I don't pay for Xbox live. That doesn't matter does it?

I'm so out of the loop.

BUy an Apple TV ...this is the best option...

or...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD098ZM/A/apple-digital-av-adapter

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY

I've had GC for two years, I use Xbox for TV and iPhone too...never any issues. Unless your cable provider is DirecTV (all HD feeds, home and road) Gamecenter is the way to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad