Celtics/NBA Celtics/NBA 2018-2019 II - Playoffs - Toronto/Golden State Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I was watching the game with the sound turned off. The way he went down I thought that big goof Embiid had been shot. :shakehead
I just saw what went on with Smart and Embid and I laughed.

Good on Marcus. They both should have been tossed.

Embid thinks he’s the bee’s knees. Truth is that he’s a thin skinned poser who wants the attention guy’s like Kyrie and Giannis get.

Yup, I can’t stand Embid.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I don’t usually like Tony Mazz but he is right about one thing. If this team had half the guts, heart, and balls the Bs do, they would be tops in the East.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
That's true. Kyrie is a top 10 player at best. Which is good, but not championship worthy. The east alone has 3 players ahead of Irving (Giannis, Kawhi, Embiid). Add in the west with Curry, Durant, George, Westbrook Harden, Jokic, Dame (on par).

The only way I am ok with giving Kyrie the max is if he comes with Davis (at this point I'd take him without assurances) or Durant. Otherwise you can let him walk and retool on the fly (no rebuild). The NBA is such a top heavy game where the superstars usually win. List since 96 is like: Jordan, Duncan, Shaq, Wade, Garnett, Kobe, Nowitzki, Lebron, Kawhi, Curry, Durant

With the exception of the 2004 Pistons and maybe Wade everyone else on that list was a true top 5 player (at that time). So it takes a huge amount of luck to win with a player like Kyrie, it basically does not happen (even Curry was somewhat lucky without Durant.)

Unfortunately our #1 does not match up with the other 1's as I stated above and our secondary stars don't match up well with other secondary stars. Tatum has not made a huge leap as hoped and Brown in general just isn't that good to begin with. And Hayward needs more time to recover. Al is still pretty good, though.
Embiid a top player? That's a good joke.

He is not a franchise changer ala LeBron, Jordan, etc. Even guys like Giannis have a far greater impact on their teams success than Embiid ever will. Embiid is a very good player on both ends of the floor, but outside of a night like last night, is more of a stat compiler than anything else.

Outside of Shaq, show me a team who has won, or even come close to winning with a true big as their primary piece. Not how you win.

Sixers are done in the first round if they play Boston, and in the second round regardless. Not a good sign when you continually lose to the same team, and need a night where your best player needs 37 & 22, and have a 43-16 free throw discrepency, an ejection, and an injruy, to win a 3 point game at home.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Embiid a top player? That's a good joke.

He is not a franchise changer ala LeBron, Jordan, etc. Even guys like Giannis have a far greater impact on their teams success than Embiid ever will. Embiid is a very good player on both ends of the floor, but outside of a night like last night, is more of a stat compiler than anything else.

Outside of Shaq, show me a team who has won, or even come close to winning with a true big as their primary piece. Not how you win.

Sixers are done in the first round if they play Boston, and in the second round regardless. Not a good sign when you continually lose to the same team, and need a night where your best player needs 37 & 22, and have a 43-16 free throw discrepency, an ejection, and an injruy, to win a 3 point game at home.

If you don't think that Embiid is the better player, then I don't know what to tell you. His counting stats on offense at least match those of Irving, he's younger, plays a more impactful position and is better on defense.
We just happen to have the Sixers number. Horford (a great player in his own right) matches up well with Embiid. Other than us, the Sixers are looking pretty good against their competition. They have a 19-18 record vs teams above .500...That is almost on par with the Raptors (our record is 15-20) and that record probably looks better since they upgraded their team with Butler and Harris.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Lolakers officially eliminated. They go out and get the possibly best player of all time (avoid ”greatest” for accolade reasons, but a case can still be made) in the team sport where one player can make the biggest difference, and they get worse if anything. :laugh:

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
If you don't think that Embiid is the better player, then I don't know what to tell you. His counting stats on offense at least match those of Irving, he's younger, plays a more impactful position and is better on defense.
We just happen to have the Sixers number. Horford (a great player in his own right) matches up well with Embiid. Other than us, the Sixers are looking pretty good against their competition. They have a 19-18 record vs teams above .500...That is almost on par with the Raptors (our record is 15-20) and that record probably looks better since they upgraded their team with Butler and Harris.
I wasn't comparing Embiid to Kyrie.

I'm saying Embiid isn't a top player in the league, which you claimed he was. Again, show me a team that has won with their best player being a center, it hasn't happened since Shaq with the Heat, and really that was more Shaq and Wade than just Shaq.

The thing with Embiid, is he can have an absolutely dominant night, but the Sixers still lose by double digits. For them to be successful, the other guys need to hit shots. Something they don't do on a consistent basis.

He reminds me a lot of what teams would do to Drummond where they'd give him his 20 & 15, and D up the rest of the floor.

I'd be shocked if Philly makes it to the ECF.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The mainstream media loves the Celtics and they get far more attention on local newscasts and the papers than the Bruins.

What they seem to forget is the Bruins got bigger ratings in 2011 than the 2008 and 2010 Celtics teams that went to the NBA Finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad