Celtics/NBA Celtics/NBA 2018-2019 II - Playoffs - Toronto/Golden State Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I would hate to see Tatum traded. This young kid is a star. I understand it is a business, but I like him and he is only getting better.

Go Celtics

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
This is not an anti basketball take because I will watch some of the Celtics/Bucks and Finals etc but in the first round there will be no upsets and it looks like only one series will even go 6 games. That's awful.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think Channel 5 needs to update their background graphic

upload_2019-4-25_3-10-35.png

Reactions: Dreghorn2

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
John Havlicek was my favorite player as a kid - one of the family’s on my paper route had Celtics tickets and for Christmas they’d give me tickets. They were also good friends with my folks as my mother was their daughters Girl Scout leader. That led to a couple of games every season. I was as excited about seeing ‘Hondo’ as Bobby Orr.

He was Patrice Bergeron of the NBA.

I’m stunned reading this - I never thought he would die

Reactions: Alicat and TP

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Back then there was no such thing as scouting. Red had trusted contacts who watched college ball and would listen to them.

One bird dog he trusted was a man named Al Lewis. The name might be familiar to you

68843a6866f0a7e56a783467b8feadc3.jpg

But Lewis' life off the small screen ranged far beyond his acting antics. A former ballplayer at Thomas Jefferson High School, he achieved notoriety as a basketball talent scout familiar to coaching greats like Jerry Tarkanian and Red Auerbach.

In an interview in the publication New Times in 1998, when Lewis was a Green Party candidate for governor of New York, he said he didn't recruit high school players, but "bird-dogged" talent for college coaches. Considered a college hoops fanatic, he said he had as many as 60 Division I college coaches calling him for tips.

"You can call Marty Blake, the chief scout for the NBA, he lives outside Atlanta, and ask him who is the most knowledgeable man of roundball you have ever met. Without hesitation he will tell you Al Lewis," he told New Times. "I have bird-dogged high-school basketball since 1934. I have seen more high-school games than Dean Smith and Lou Carnesecca combined."

Lewis sold Red on Havlicek and when Hondo retired Red invited him to be at the last game and told the crowd that.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
They're going to need to steal one of the first two while Brogdon is out, then they just need to take care of business at the Garden and it's back to the ECF

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
When I played basketball in high school, after practice our coach used to play films of the NBA from the 60's which included those incredible Celtics teams. Then came Larry & have loved the Celtics ever since. Too bad Pete Maravich never got that title. I understand Havlicek was a pure gentleman !!! RIP champ !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->