Celtics/NBA Celtics/NBA 2018-2019 II - Playoffs - Toronto/Golden State Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I mainly don’t give a hoot about the NBA or basketball in general.

I somewhat follow the drama of trades/free agency via Felger and Mazz, but I have to say.

When hilights are on and a causal fan can not identify the teams because their identities have been watered down by dozens of alternate uniforms, that’s a big problem.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I mainly don’t give a hoot about the NBA or basketball in general.

I somewhat follow the drama of trades/free agency via Felger and Mazz, but I have to say.

When hilights are on and a causal fan can not identify the teams because their identities have been watered down by dozens of alternate uniforms, that’s a big problem.

Having the celtics playoff games during the Bruins playoff games is such a joke. Hard to focus on or get into the celtics playoff game while I'm also trying to watch the Bruins Leafs on my TV. Its almost as if the NBA is asking people not to watch the game.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Having the celtics playoff games during the Bruins playoff games is such a joke. Hard to focus on or get into the celtics playoff game while I'm also trying to watch the Bruins Leafs on my TV. Its almost as if the NBA is asking people not to watch the game.

As much as I nominally follow the NBA, I follow the Pacers and see about 20-30 of their games a year. But I'm a rabid Bruins/hockey fan, so I won't be watching much of this series.

However, with Oladipo out, the Pacers simply don't have that run-stopper who can step up and hit a couple of shots when the opponent is making a run ... or that guy who demands the ball and makes a play at the end of the game. They've been vulnerable to fourth-quarter runs all year. I didn't see last night's game because I was watching the B's, but that was very evident when the C's were making their third-quarter run in Game 1.

Also, at the end of games, the Celtics have the best Xs and Os, end-of-game situation coach in basketball. Brad Stevens is an absolute wizard with the grease board and in instilling confidence in his players in those situations. When he was at Butler, it seemed they never lost a close game and were never out of it, even down double-digits late. The Pacers are a solid team (even without Oladipo), but the C's have those couple of X factors that make them better in a short series.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

It’s especially stupid because they got two days off between games 1 and 2 but only one day off on a travel day. It makes no sense.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
It’s especially stupid because they got two days off between games 1 and 2 but only one day off on a travel day. It makes no sense.

I made that point here in Indy and got RT'ed by a local talk radio hosts saying "the NBA doesn't worry about butting up against the NHL ratings-wise." Implicitly, the thought was "nobody cares about hockey," which might be the perception here in Indiana, but not quite so in New England. The Garden was open last night and Bankers Life Fieldhouse is open both Thursday and Saturday. I have no idea why the extra day creating date conflicts.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I made that point here in Indy and got RT'ed by a local talk radio hosts saying "the NBA doesn't worry about butting up against the NHL ratings-wise." Implicitly, the thought was "nobody cares about hockey," which might be the perception here in Indiana, but not quite so in New England. The Garden was open last night and Bankers Life Fieldhouse is open both Thursday and Saturday. I have no idea why the extra day creating date conflicts.

In Boston I would assume many fans enjoy watching both team but realize there are a lot more stakes on the line playing Toronto in a game 4 on the road than the Celtics game 2 at home where they are favored to win the series. It would make more sense to watch the Bruins game if you didn't have both games on at the same time.

Reactions: crimsonace

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
The NBA has been notorious for really stretching out the first round to try to get every game on national TV (4 games each Saturday/Sunday, but often only 2-3 games each weeknight), but it's not quite as bad as it used to be. Still, it would've made more sense ratings-wise and for the teams to have Game 2 on Tuesday so the extra-day break would have been on a travel day.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

The bottom line is wouldn’t you wanna maximize viewers at all costs? I watched the Bruins on tv and the Celts on my computer, but some people, especially a lot around here, will make a choice between one or the other when they otherwise would have watched both just because it’s the playoffs even if they aren’t the biggest hockey or basketball fans any other time.

Reactions: crimsonace

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The Celtics are looking for a sweep while the bruins are fighting off elimination

If you told me this two months ago I would have been cackling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->