Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
GettyImages-836703384.jpg

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don’t even like basketball and this bummed me out. He was a true homer (which I loved) and loved the Celtics. RIP, Tommy Heinsohn. You will be missed.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Listening to Mike Gorman talk about Tommy has me crying all over again

If you’re over 60,” Gorman said, “you know Tommy as a player.”
“If you’re over 40, you know Tommy as a coach.”
“If you’re over 20, you know Tommy as a broadcaster.”
“If you’re under 10, you think he’s Shrek.”

Reactions: Alicat and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The best thing about tommy is that he was pretty much echoing what we were saying in our own homes, but he was saying it loudly within earshot of the officials. He made our voices heard in a way

The GOAT color guy in Boston sports history imo

Camille the Eel

So happy to find this thread. I am going to miss his broadcasts so very much. Forgetting about his extraordinary years both as a player and a coach, it feels like he had an amazingly long run in the TV booth, where his voice and personality were genuine, unbelievably knowledgeable and unique. He defines old school for me; having done what he had on the court, he had complete authority, homer or not. But I say “old school” because he hearkened back to the NBA of Russell and Wilt the Stilt, Oscar Robertson and others, and then provided complete continuity through the Cowan and McAdoo era, through Bird and Magic’s, to the Jordan years, Shaq and Koby into the present.

This is irreplaceable. It’s a perspective and knowledge that nobody else in basketball can possibly have. And you and I could watch it all along with him after he went to the booth; his unique voice and personality were vivid and sincere.

Johnny Most and Tommy. The Celtics have been blessed with two of the best and most vivid broadcasters ever in both radio and TV.

What a loss. Rest In Peace. The show will go on.

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Growing up I was obsessed with the Celtics. Partly because my dad and aunt had season tickets and it was always a battle to see who would get to go. The other part was because of Larry Bird.

I would watch Tommy and Mike with my dad when he wasn't at games and he would tell me stories of Tommy, Cousy, Russell and more. He'd talk about them as players and with Tommy, as a coach.

I loved his passion for the game, the players, the franchise and this city. He truly bled green.

I knew he was on the decline but held out hope we'd get him for one more season.

Hearing the news yesterday hurt because it brought up all the memories my dad and I shared over the years of listening to him chide refs, tell stories of the old days and analyze the game in a way that no one else could.

I know he and Red and all the other Celtics greats are up there smoking a cigar.

I hope the league has everyone wear a #15 patch this season because Tommy did a lot for the game and is truly worthy of the honor

Reactions: pgm16 and BMC

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

I just don't understand why Boston would do that Holiday deal. Depending on the rest of the pieces I would be interested in the Turner deal.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I just don't understand why Boston would do that Holiday deal. Depending on the rest of the pieces I would be interested in the Turner deal.

Holiday is one of the best defensive guards in the nba and is a better ball distributor than Kemba ( kemba is the better shooter ). I think his physical and defensive toughness match well for the Celtics team.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I love Jrue as a player

I’m very meh on Hayward for Turner. I guess it fills a need.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
The loss of Heinsohn is a hard one to take. Tommy was not just Mr. Celtic, but he was Mr. Boston in a way as well. He embodied the Boston Celtics as well as ethos of the city and proudly carried the banner of both with pride and honor. This is a disheartening loss given the stature Heinsohn held in the team, city and the NBA. RIP Tommy. You will be missed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad