Post-Game Talk: Celebration Rock: Canucks 7, Predators 4 - Hail King Ebbetterle

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
To be fair, not many goals when in a blocking Bfly go through you.

As well, with Weber's shot, and a lot of NHL calibre shots, reactions times are slim to none. It's why positioning is the largest factor in playing goal.

I haven't seen the play, nor the save, so I may just be talking nonsense here, but the difference for Lu to come out an extra 6"-12" and block a significant larger portion of the net over getting a half second extra reactions time (exaggeration), the safer move is taking away the net.

You should probably watch the save before you comment, it was really unorthodox and not just an extra bit out of the crease. (Not meaning to sound *****y). He charged out and really put himself out of position. He made a great desperation save but even he was shaking his head afterwards.

I thought Kassian showed some really great flashes of brilliance this game. He does have some lapses still for sure on those drop passes and in his zone but he made a few great moves- his power move out of the corner, and his deke through the dmans stick. Some very Slick hands. Nice to see and definitely not run of the mill 4th liner material.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks. Weber is left untouched in the slot drifting towards the net, Luongo challenges and makes the save ... and yet according to you, it's the wrong thing to do. Got it.

You're seem to be saying that Luongo would have done the same thing regardless of the player. I disagree. Maybe he knows it's Weber, a guy who likes to shoot. Perhaps he plays it differently if it's Patrick Kane. Who knows?

Yeah, making yourself big by staying further back in the net makes a lot of sense. Your points are weak. How about a modicum of credit when it's due to a player making a great save in a difficult situation.

Nothing like ripping a player for making the best of a bad situation. lol

One foot length outside the crease would have been the acceptable play for this situation. He did have time to gain depth so I'm not criticizing that, but he really came TOO far out. If Weber could dangle, he'd be done as well.

I'm sure Melanson would have liked to see him with his heels on the blue in this play, if not his toes. There is an optimal amount of depth he could have played in his situation that would have covered his bases for backdoor, shot AND dangle.

I mean, Lu blocks in this situation - what for? It's not a blocking situation. Weber isn't even loading up for a slapshot. At most his stick in position for a snapper. I don't care what you say, it's not a good save selection or position.

But it's ok. You obviously think he did the right thing. I know he didn't. But he got away with it because he's a good goalie and I'm glad he did. But Lu and Schneids should be criticized when they make mistakes, so that's what I'm doing.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
You should probably watch the save before you comment, it was really unorthodox and not just an extra bit out of the crease. (Not meaning to sound *****y). He charged out and really put himself out of position. He made a great desperation save but even he was shaking his head afterwards.

I know I should have, thus the disclaimer of me talking out of my ass. :laugh:

I was just speaking in a general sense where it's a smarter play to take the space and angle over hoping you can react to a shot.

Edit: Watched the play. The initial stick life by Weber had Lu thinking shot, thus him going down. When Weber didn't shoot, Lu started to move and then Weber put his stick down again, once again planting Lu.

Weber isn't known for his hands thus Lu's first reaction for the shot.

/Shrug, Lu mis read it, but I can see why he did.

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I know I should have, thus the disclaimer of me talking out of my ass. :laugh:

I was just speaking in a general sense where it's a smarter play to take the space and angle over hoping you can react to a shot.

Well what I said exactly is that you're trading reaction time for covering net. Either has their place in different situations.

So if Weber took a shot on you from the blueline, you'd block automatically if you felt you had come out far enough?

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
Well what I said exactly is that you're trading reaction time for covering net. Either has their place in different situations.

So if Weber took a shot on you from the blueline, you'd block automatically if you felt you had come out far enough?

Wait what?

If i'm on angle, proper depth and uncontested, a shot from the point won't beat any goalie.

It's the other factors that lead to blue line goals: Keeping in mind tap ins, rebound control, deflections, screens, etc.

Lu screwed up on that save, but mainly because he got fooled into dropping early and being too aggressive. The only reason that Weber didn't shoot initially was because of how far Lu was out.

If Lu was sitting on the edge of the crease, Weber would've chanced the shot.

Hal 9000*

This Luongo/Weber thing is just one of those incidents that you see happen every so often. Neither played the situation right and neither played it wrong. Frankly, they both looked surprised at how the other was playing the situation, Luongo got pulled farther and farther out, while Weber kept seeing his shot slip away. In the end, Weber almost skated the puck right into Lu and fortunately Lu never gave up.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I can't believe you much effort you guys have wasted analyzing one shot. Seriously ridiculous on a new level :laugh:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
who cares about that one play really? Luongo made a mistake and then recovered, is really a non-story imo.

Dado

I was feeling pretty positive about this win.

And then I see Calgary shoved an unsanded, unvaselined two by four up their backsides this evening, too.

Gah.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I can't believe you much effort you guys have wasted analyzing one shot. Seriously ridiculous on a new level :laugh:

On the contrary, I really love this kind of talk that dissects the interesting moments of the game, and makes you think about them in ways you may not have because they go by so fast.

I wish this board had far more of that kind of thing, and far less fantasy trade scenarios, and people endlessly debating what they think the line combinations should be. This is real life, not a video game. Your own fantasy simulations are only interesting TO YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad