Player Discussion: Cedric Paquette

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Third line is still really, really bad. Probably worse than last night's third line.

We should either leave the current top unit together or go back to KFC. The top line looked great against Florida but all three of them looked completely disinterested against NJ. Stamkos seemed to click on after he took the stupid penalty, trying to make up for it.

We're running into a problem where two of our centers aren't converting well to the wing. Both Paquette and Namestnikov have looked great at C and mediocre at best on either wing.

I still think Brown is an interesting option for a promotion, and I think he played some of his best games this year with Drouin, and vice versa. I wouldn't mind seeing:

Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Killorn - Filppula - Brown
Namestnikov/Morrow - Paquette - Boyle (with Boyle taking D-zone draws)

I like Brown with a puck possession guy like Drouin. Mainly because he plays a straight line game and that does nothing but generate space for Drouin to weave. Paquette did well with Drouin for that reason as well. Drive the D back or forecheck them so that there is space between the D and F. Drouin with even 1 foot more space is magic. I also think this is why Brownov worked with Namesy and Kucherov. His speed and puck pursuit created space for Kucherov and Namesy to work with.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Third line is still really, really bad. Probably worse than last night's third line.

We should either leave the current top unit together or go back to KFC. The top line looked great against Florida but all three of them looked completely disinterested against NJ. Stamkos seemed to click on after he took the stupid penalty, trying to make up for it.

We're running into a problem where two of our centers aren't converting well to the wing. Both Paquette and Namestnikov have looked great at C and mediocre at best on either wing.

I still think Brown is an interesting option for a promotion, and I think he played some of his best games this year with Drouin, and vice versa. I wouldn't mind seeing:

Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Killorn - Filppula - Brown
Namestnikov/Morrow - Paquette - Boyle (with Boyle taking D-zone draws)

Yeah the top line came out struggling but it did get better as the game went on, Cally was off last night, not sure why. Which has been a rarity since he has been consistent all season. He had 7 points in 10 games going into last night's game.

When I think about it, I actually prefer to keep the top line as it is, and think Killorn going to the 3rd with Flip will create a much more solid 3rd line. Hate to say it but agree, and you do also, that Paquette should be dropped to the 4th line. But thinking what Coop will do would not mind Killorn going back to the top line with Stamkos and Cally.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah the top line came out struggling but it did get better as the game went on, Cally was off last night, not sure why. Which has been a rarity since he has been consistent all season. He had 7 points in 10 games going into last night's game.

When I think about it, I actually prefer to keep the top line as it is, and think Killorn going to the 3rd with Flip will create a much more solid 3rd line. Hate to say it but agree, and you do also, that Paquette should be dropped to the 4th line. But thinking what Coop will do would not mind Killorn going back to the top line with Stamkos and Cally.

It's not a demotion to send Paquette down a line. I think we often put too much emphasis on what line a player as if it's a reflection of their play. We just need Paquette to play C because he's better as center, regardless of the line. Flip-Paquette-X is also an option.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Paquette at C. There we have it. And it isn't that common a rookie C puts up a 50+ fo% like he is, so if he continues to improve his face offs he could be a really really solid C.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Pquettes play. Has he done well in the playoffs? Does he look like he is progressing, and will grow in the future?

Armada

Nov 21, 2013
When Paquette was playing for us (Armada) he was a winger, but he was taking face off and playing center *sometime*. Every player for they Armada need to be able to take face off, it's the philosophy of the team. So if Tampa want Paquette to play center it's gonna take time because he was mostly not a center when playing junior.

p.s: Paquette was playing right wing mostly.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
He's playing banged up. He looks much more comfortable at Center than wing. Last game the battle was back and he actually was physical. Still would like to see more from him, but he may not be able to due to injury.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean, the other thing...

Maybe he's just a fourth liner? There's nothing wrong with that, but he caught fire a couple of games this season and that's where his offense came from. We probably shouldn't expect much more than that.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Paquette was second line Center in the AHL affiliate in Syracuse...right behind Namestnikov. He played a lot of Center...his best position and he is best suited for fourth line Center duties.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Paquette should not be playing hockey next year. Some team will take him, but I pray for them.

Have a feeling Yzerman will resign him though. :shakehead

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
He really needs to start throwing his body around more. He doesn't have the wheels to play with a speedy team like Pittsburgh. But then you do as Boyle has and grind to slow them down. Guys like Malkin and Kessel are allergic to physical contact.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
He really needs to start throwing his body around more. He doesn't have the wheels to play with a speedy team like Pittsburgh. But then you do as Boyle has and grind to slow them down. Guys like Malkin and Kessel are allergic to physical contact.

He will just get injured if he does. He always seems to be injured

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
hes lost his fire so hes garbage

he is not playing agitating on a nightly basis we get glimpses of it but is not sustained so truly time to move on

him and condra are the biggest disappointments of this season

saying that there is matt carle who showed a little life

hopefully enough to earn a ticket out of town a golden ticket a TRADE

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
hes lost his fire so hes garbage

he is not playing agitating on a nightly basis we get glimpses of it but is not sustained so truly time to move on

him and condra are the biggest disappointments of this season

saying that there is matt carle who showed a little life

hopefully enough to earn a ticket out of town a golden ticket a TRADE

Thats not fair to him. Big difference between wanting to play that role and physically being capable of playing that role. The end result is still the same, though.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Thats not fair to him. Big difference between wanting to play that role and physically being capable of playing that role. The end result is still the same, though.

he has been inconsistent at aggravating the other team

he is not fast enough ie: brown to not play that style

even if means if on ice shift play stops he does some antics? I am ok with that

piss off some players who dont like to play that way.

He has done this in past not sure why is not doing it now.

Know he will never be a big scorer hes great to me on pk will block a shot with his head seriously

i just want him pissing people off again all the time

ive seen him do it but is less and less and less

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Cooper said Paquette is week to week. In Cooper speak that means he's probably on his death bed.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
3rd/4th line has not missed a beat without him. So not too concerned. But hate to see any player miss time especially with this kind of team start. Has to be frustrating for him.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Cooper said Paquette is week to week. In Cooper speak that means he's probably on his death bed.
shocked-face-gif-16.gif

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Paquette will not get re-signed. When he wasn't injured he wasn't even getting PK time. Days are numbered for him. Next up is Peca...which I wouldn't mind playing with Kunitz and Callahan on his wings for a 4th line role. It wouldn't be a traditional grinder 4th line ... which I think in our case plays to our advantage.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Paquette's only a contributing factor when he's healthy, which means we've already gotten what we're gonna get from him for the year. He's never going to have a healthy season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad