Player Discussion: Cedric Paquette

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
That's a cool thought but I would say no. So far he's been extremely streaky. He has 11 goals in 42 games, yes. But he scored those 11 goals in 8 games going scoreless in the remaining 34 games and even pointless in 28.

That said, who knows. He was a late-bloomer in juniors. I'd love to see him produce on a pace like let's say Alex Killorn who's good for 15-20 goals and 20-30 assists on a 2nd/3rd liner.

I've noticed that plenty of those games he wasnt scoring he was playing on the 4th line. When he was put with Drouin/Killorn as the C he has put up more points. Is that good chemistry, or is that just the other guys being overly talented and making him look better?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I've noticed that plenty of those games he wasnt scoring he was playing on the 4th line. When he was put with Drouin/Killorn as the C he has put up more points. Is that good chemistry, or is that just the other guys being overly talented and making him look better?

He also got time on the 1st line with Stammer IIRC and didn't do much with it (then again who does, right?). In fact there was a time many around here questioned Cooper's decision of keeping him up with the Lightning when all he did was take stupid penalties and try to play a tough guy's game. I'm glad he's turned it around though. He's got some mad skills as the kids would call it, he just needs to keep his cool.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He also got time on the 1st line with Stammer IIRC and didn't do much with it (then again who does, right?). In fact there was a time many around here questioned Cooper's decision of keeping him up with the Lightning when all he did was take stupid penalties and try to play a tough guy's game. I'm glad he's turned it around though. He's got some mad skills as the kids would call it, he just needs to keep his cool.

He's always had the tools - that power move of his is Nash-esque - but now he needed to adjust to play the pro game. He was playing minor league hockey in the major league - he's finally putting it together.

Honestly, I don't know how this organization keeps finding these guys.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
He's always had the tools - that power move of his is Nash-esque - but now he needed to adjust to play the pro game. He was playing minor league hockey in the major league - he's finally putting it together.

Honestly, I don't know how this organization keeps finding these guys.

h81un.jpg

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I mean, Al Murray is fantastic, yeah. But ****, this is how many hits on late round picks now?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I figured out how to solve the PP.

Chara needs to punch our entire first unit in the face. First up: Stamkos.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Callahan
Palat
Paquette
Erne

These will be our PFs in years coming in addition to Killorn & Connolly who are now playing a more physical game. Connolly was Parcel soft and Killorn was a notch above that - don't think that is true anymore. No real fighters in this group but they are all fast/mobile/physical - this will be a Western Conference type team very soon in addition to all our skill players. Good times...!!!

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Callahan
Palat
Paquette
Erne

These will be our PFs in years coming in addition to Killorn & Connolly who are now playing a more physical game. Connolly was Parcel soft and Killorn was a notch above that - don't think that is true anymore. No real fighters in this group but they are all fast/mobile/physical - this will be a Western Conference type team very soon in addition to all our skill players. Good times...!!!

I honestly don't know if Erne's on that list. He may not even be with us next season. Kid's got skill, but he's more useful as trade bait compared to some of our other prospects.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Callahan
Palat
Paquette
Erne

We're not as small and weak as people act. Our Fourth line is big and tough to play against, Killorn and Paquette play a big game and a good two-way game, we saw Palat put one of the better Dmen in the league on his ass, and Callahan plays mighty big. We don't have fighters, but I don't want another Crombeen on the team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I honestly don't know if Erne's on that list. He may not even be with us next season. Kid's got skill, but he's more useful as trade bait compared to some of our other prospects.

I don't think Erne's tradebait at all. To me he looks like a 40-45 point middle-six tweener who plays like a beast. He's probably still two years away, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him push, yet again, for a roster spot next year. He's exactly the type of guy I wish we had on the team right now. A skilled guy with a real nasty edge.

A lot of our forward prospects are getting pretty redundant--small, skilled guys who can score while playing responsibly. That's great, don't get me wrong, but Erne's the only prospect in our pool with the potential to turn into a true power forward at the NHL level.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Erne isn't trade bait. His speed and shoot along with his side and willingness to use it, have him slotted on a wing on the 2nd or 3rd line as early as next year. Probably another year or two out realistically though.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
There is no way Erne is trade bait. He is exactly the kind of 2 way physical player that is tough to play against that Cooper loves. Agreed maybe Erne doesn't make the NHL club next year...but I do like the makeup of the team and where it could potentially be in a few seasons. The type of player we have lots of is the skilled forward variety. Marchessault, Gourde, Vermin, Peca, Point. Ikonen is proving to be in the mold of Palat. Tanner Richard can drop the gloves too...adds a bit of sandpaper AND would say has better puck skills and mobility than Paquette. Paquette being more physical, better in the dirty areas, and a better finisher.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
BP piece on Ceddy: http://boltprospects.com/content/prospect-week-2-2-15

Prior to the All-Star Break, the Lightning told Paquette to move from a hotel into permanent housing, signaling the prospect had made it.

“Dump Truck” projects as a third or fourth line forward who will bring energy, physicality, and secondary scoring. He’s an underrated point producer, having transitioned his junior production into AHL production with Syracuse. Whether or not he can get the ice time and power play duty to produce 20 goals consistently at the NHL level remains to be seen, but he’s showing he can pitch in when needed. He’s the type of player teams win with in the playoffs, and though some (Jack Edwards, NESN) don’t know much about him yet, they will.

13-DumpTruck.png

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...tarts-tonight-for-tampa-bay-lightning/2216581
"Ceddy is a dumptruck," Cooper said. "Fill it up, get on his back and he can carry you. He's a heavy body that plays in heavy areas. His skill probably goes a little bit unnoticed because he plays that heavy game. He's pretty skilled. The pucks he's putting in are not just dribbling in over the line by two inches. They're in the back of the net and they're in hard. You have to have skill to do that."

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ceddy is a much better fit on this hockey team then vladdy on that line.

It's just looking more and more like he can be a legit goal-scorer. He's beating goalies straight up with shots. It's not like he's getting bounces. His shot's just that good.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
It's just looking more and more like he can be a legit goal-scorer. He's beating goalies straight up with shots. It's not like he's getting bounces. His shot's just that good.

I said on another board after the wings game that the kid has a scoring touch and was told I am wrong. It wasnt just that he scored three goals, It was that two of them were absolute snipes. Kid can shoot the puck. First few times it was like when killorn rips it. Left me thinking "where the **** did that come from?" Glad to see its not a fluke.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is he top-6 material?

Maybe, but I like him better as what he is. He has the potential to be a 20 goal third liner--talk about luxuries. Wouldn't mind seeing him get the odd PP shift though. Gotta think he'd be a ball of chaos in front.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

yes is has surprised me he is a much better shooter then i thought he was

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
For those interested we are 30-12-4 with Cedric in the line up.. leaving us 5-5-2 without... wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad