Ceci long Term or Bridge Deal??

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This season is a shitshow. Boro has improved his play to be a regular bottom sixer, and Ceci is not as terrible as some posters make him out to be.

That said, I am confused as to what kind of deal they will sign him under. His trade value is low-end ish and based on his performance thus far Pierre Dorion should be able sign him to a team friendly contract that allows him to play in his home town. This also allows him to be a trade option under cost control.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
They'll sign a contract that eats up his last two UFA years at about 4M (3.75/4.25) because they cannot come to terms on a long term deal.

The Senators did the same thing with both Dzingel and Pageau. A big road block for the Senators when it comes to long term deals is that they are a salary team and not a cap team. As a result, there is very little benefit to locking players up long term. Most teams lock players up long term because these RFA years drastically lower the AAV long term when combined with the more expensive UFA years, but with us we don't care about the AAV, only the year to year real money salary.

Meaning, this team could go 2 years with Ceci again, and then bite the bullet on paying him 5M+ on a long term extension 2 years from now if it comes to that. Or, more likely, they go 2 years in an attempt to squeeze out one last cheap year from Ceci, and then trade him to another team with 1 year left on his deal to get something for him.

I honestly don't know if a Karlsson trade makes us more likely or less likely to extend Ceci. Does a Karlsson trade signal a complete rebuild? Or would we be doing more of a re-tool where we'd expect to pick up NHL talent in a Karlsson and possibly Hoffman/Pageau/Smith/Dzingel (or who ever else was rumoured to be talked about) trade?

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
I forget where I heard it, possibly TSN, but I do remember someone saying Ceci is likely to stay simply because he's insurance on the right side if Karlsson is gone. Now obviously the thought of Ceci playing top pairing night in and out is laughable but it makes sense in so far as the organization is barren on RD save for Ceci, and Wideman who's UFA. On the B sens we do have Jaros Erkamps and Pokka but of those 3 Jaros is really the only one IMO who could end up being a legit top 4 option.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They'll sign a contract that eats up his last two UFA years at about 4M (3.75/4.25) because they cannot come to terms on a long term deal.

The Senators did the same thing with both Dzingel and Pageau. A big road block for the Senators when it comes to long term deals is that they are a salary team and not a cap team. As a result, there is very little benefit to locking players up long term. Most teams lock players up long term because these RFA years drastically lower the AAV long term when combined with the more expensive UFA years, but with us we don't care about the AAV, only the year to year real money salary.

Meaning, this team could go 2 years with Ceci again, and then bite the bullet on paying him 5M+ on a long term extension 2 years from now if it comes to that. Or, more likely, they go 2 years in an attempt to squeeze out one last cheap year from Ceci, and then trade him to another team with 1 year left on his deal to get something for him.

I honestly don't know if a Karlsson trade makes us more likely or less likely to extend Ceci. Does a Karlsson trade signal a complete rebuild? Or would we be doing more of a re-tool where we'd expect to pick up NHL talent in a Karlsson and possibly Hoffman/Pageau/Smith/Dzingel (or who ever else was rumoured to be talked about) trade?
So we are basically the Montreal Expos of the NHL?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd go long term for sure.

Short term means more raises.

As a very small market team,we should always prioritize long term when it makes sense (didn't make much sense to offer Cowen that 8 year deal).

Ceci has been improving rather steadily, he's a safe bet.

Reactions: aragorn

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
I think ,we should give him along term deal .He has all the tools ,to be a solid top 4 guy for us for a long time .Unlike the failures we have seen in the past ,Cowen and Wier .I dont see a major hole in his game .Skating ,vision ,size,puck skills are all there .Maybe iam overselling him but i do think he is worth the gamble ,interested to see what others think
actually...I was hoping he would be traded...

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
lmao a guy like Ceci you 100% give him a bridge deal, he's slowly lost a step and only 24.

IF he regains his game then you pat yourself on your back that he became a mainstay and you pay him the money.

We are better off trading him later since he got "too good" than signing him long-term and getting stuck with his money cause he's too bad.

Reactions: DrEasy

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Ceci never stands out to me during a game unless it's because I just watched him get walked. I'm not saying he's terrible, I just don't see any decent enough quality to lock him up long term other than him being a RD.

With the shortage of RD out there, I'd try to move him at the draft for a late 1st or two 2nds and another prospect to add to Belleville. Then I'd make an offer to a free agent like Christian Folin for much cheaper and much less term.

Reactions: Alex1234

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Cute necro bump.

Same as last time. 2-3 year bridge (I guess now it isn't called a bridge). Anywhere from 3.3 to 3.6 per year is fine.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Dorion (for some reason) likes the kid, so my guess is a 4-5 year deal at $3.75M.

In my opinion, he's still got all the tools you want for a 2nd pairing D-man, but sweet man alive is he ever prone to brain farts. I don't know if he's got low hockey IQ or just attention deficit disorder or something else, but he'll be in the right place, then the brain turns off and he starts watching the puck, and all of a sudden he's standing at the faceoff dot, all alone, and the guy he should be covering is putting home a shot from the low slot.

Maybe he needs to wear one of those zapping dog collars. If a coach sees him going off into lala land, they give him a little zap. If he'd be ok wearing that, I'd sign him to a multi-year deal.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I forget where I heard it, possibly TSN, but I do remember someone saying Ceci is likely to stay simply because he's insurance on the right side if Karlsson is gone. Now obviously the thought of Ceci playing top pairing night in and out is laughable but it makes sense in so far as the organization is barren on RD save for Ceci, and Wideman who's UFA. On the B sens we do have Jaros Erkamps and Pokka but of those 3 Jaros is really the only one IMO who could end up being a legit top 4 option.

As of today, Ottawa has 10 D men signed for next season, and quite a few are pretty thin on NHL experience.

Erik Karlsson
Mark Borowiecki
Thomas Chabot
Ben Harpur
Andreas Englund
Christian Jaros
Maxime Lajoie
Macoy Erkamps
Erik Burgdoerfer
Cody Donaghey

The rest of the D men in the system are becoming either RFAs or UFAs on July 1st.

The top priority among those not signed is Cody Ceci.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Sign Karlsson, Duchene & Stone, then see whats left for Ceci, if anything.

Karlsson should either be extended or traded this summer (he's already signed for next season)

In either case, Ceci should be signed regardless.

Arkantoss

Mar 2, 2016
He's looked a lot better lately. Anyone know what's changed?

Probably stepping it up after Phaneuf left or Phaneuf was always holding him back I have no idea. He doesn't even look that much better honestly.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Ceci still struggles with fundamental hockey skills like making and receiving a pass.

If he was born and raised in Wichita, Kansas or anywhere other than Orleans, he would’ve been dealt by now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad