Proposal: Ceci + Duchene

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
What in the actual ****

And Leafs fans wonder why everybody hates them :laugh:

I am so bumping this thread if the Sens have a great year and, *gasp*, finish ahead of the Leafs (or maybe even beat them the playoffs, one can dream!)

Please remove the speculation tag, this is insulting
the person who made the thread isn't a leafs fan and this deal is stupid from their prescriptive.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
100% agree, especially with the rebuild on the fly mentality that Ottawa will need. I'm just saying based on OPs suggestion that they arent trying to compete for 5 years, why would you trade for 2 players who would be out of team control at that time.

Ottawa would win this trade and Toronto would be livid. But no way a trade of that magnitude is happening in the division, values aside.
It would be a great trade for the Sens and an easy win. Adding Nylander and Dermott to Tkachuk, Chabot, Brown etc. would be huge.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It's a stupid deal from every perspective

Give up two core players for nothing concrete

EDIT: MY BAD, I had not noticed Nylander was in there.
fwiw, it would be a big surprise at this point if Dermott didn't end up being a good NHL'er too. He was utterly dominant against 3rd pairing competition and played long enough that he should have been exposed if that was a complete enigma

Not saying its a great trade, but personally I really fail to see how Nylander is a better player than Duchene
imo, they're similar players today with Nylander likely to be quite a bit less expensive beyond this season, 4 additional years of control and 5 additional "prime" years. Duchene is a sure thing center, Nylander's a 50/50 bet as to whether he can be a center

to me that would point to Nylander being quite a bit more valuable in a trade rather than being a better player today

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
100% agree, especially with the rebuild on the fly mentality that Ottawa will need. I'm just saying based on OPs suggestion that they arent trying to compete for 5 years, why would you trade for 2 players who would be out of team control at that time.

Ottawa would win this trade and Toronto would be livid. But no way a trade of that magnitude is happening in the division, values aside.
So I guess in your mind your cool trading ceci/duechene but you want more picks going forward, and prospects from previous 2 drafts.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not saying its a great trade, but personally I really fail to see how Nylander is a better player than Duchene
Seems like a wash except Nylander can be controlled longer.

I'd love to add Ceci though but not at the expense of Dermott.

Adding Horton to the deal is meaningless.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Doubt TOR considers this. I think Sens should be looking to the Canes. They want a center, right? Duchene would probably be a good fit. If Duchene is hesitant to sign long-term with OTT, I would try to pry some of Canes young assets/prospects they have on D.

Reactions: AppsSyl

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
So I guess in your mind your cool trading ceci/duechene but you want more picks going forward, and prospects from previous 2 drafts.

Not at all, if I'm the Sens I jump all over OPs offer. That's crazy good value for players that dont project to be with the team in 2 years.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
What in the actual ****

And Leafs fans wonder why everybody hates them :laugh:

I am so bumping this thread if the Sens have a great year and, *gasp*, finish ahead of the Leafs (or maybe even beat them the playoffs, one can dream!)

Please remove the speculation tag, this is insulting

This must be how Sens fans felt the last 10 years when Leaf fans were saying they would make the playoffs and be better than them. Go get em tiger, try your best.

member 157595

Setting aside that the trade is absolutely hideous for Toronto, I doubt Melnyk wants to pay for Horton's uninsured contract.

It's a stupid deal from every perspective

Give up two core players for nothing concrete

EDIT: MY BAD, I had not noticed Nylander was in there.

You were in such a hurry to dump on Leafs fans that you neglected to read the thread correctly? :laugh:

Take some time and think about that for a bit.

Reactions: Rob Brown

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Ottawa (Melnyk) wants to shed salary and get younger, as they will not compete in the upcoming 5 years, at least.

To Toronto: Duchene + Ceci

To Ottawa: Horton's remaining 2 years, Nylander (RFA) & Dermott.

Good deal for both teams?

Who benefits the most?

The forward core in Toronto will be crazy.

Matthews, Tavares, Duchene, Marner, Kadri, Marleau and several younger guys coming up. Johnson, Kapanen etc.

If they don't win with those forwards and the improved D-line with Ceci (RD) the following 5 years, they will never win again.

This isn't speculation. It's a proposal. To that end, I don't see the Leafs having interest in Duchene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad