Proposal: Ceci + Duchene

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Ottawa (Melnyk) wants to shed salary and get younger, as they will not compete in the upcoming 5 years, at least.

To Toronto: Duchene + Ceci

To Ottawa: Horton's remaining 2 years, Nylander (RFA) & Dermott.

Good deal for both teams?

Who benefits the most?

The forward core in Toronto will be crazy.

Matthews, Tavares, Duchene, Marner, Kadri, Marleau and several younger guys coming up. Johnson, Kapanen etc.

If they don't win with those forwards and the improved D-line with Ceci (RD) the following 5 years, they will never win again.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
If Ottawa wants futures I think they'd want pure futures. Nylander is good but he'll be UFA in 5 years (the exact time you suggest Ottawa will be competitive). I'm guessing they flip them for cheaper players that are signed longer term and can contribute now or for pure picks/prospect since they shot themselves in the foot with this years 1st.

Nothing wrong with your offer, the value isnt horrid IMO but for two rivals to make that trade is impractical and Nylander is going to get paid so it doesnt really benefit Ottawa.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Nylander and Dermott each have years and years of team control left. Duchene has one year and Ceci has two, Duchene in particular would want big money when his deal is up. Matt Duchene hasn't scored 60 points in 5 years and would play wing on the Leafs. Dermott will be better than Ceci very soon.

Getting rid of Horton is nice, but this deal is absolutely awful for the Leafs. Both of the players they are giving up are more valuable and have team control.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If Ottawa wants futures I think they'd want pure futures. Nylander is good but he'll be UFA in 5 years (the exact time you suggest Ottawa will be competitive). I'm guessing they flip them for cheaper players that are signed longer term and can contribute now or for pure picks/prospect since they shot themselves in the foot with this years 1st.

Nothing wrong with your offer, the value isnt horrid IMO but for two rivals to make that trade is impractical and Nylander is going to get paid so it doesnt really benefit Ottawa.
I actually think Nylander/Dermott are solid building blocks to go along side some of the prospects they already have.... I don't think they say no based on nylanders UFA in 5 years.. that's a bit ridiculous.

Even if your in a rebuild.. I think the idea is to get good quicker... nylander/dermott def help speed that up.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Nylander and Dermott each have years and years of team control left. Duchene and Ceci have one year each, Duchene in particular would want big money. Matt Duchene hasn't scored 60 points 5 years and would play wing on the Leafs. Dermott will be better than Ceci very soon.

Getting rid of Horton is nice, but this deal is absolutely awful for the Leafs. Both of the players they are giving up are more valuable and have team control.
I wasn't even thinking about the fact that Duchene and Ceci were UFA/RFA when I said it was awful for the Leafs, and this just reinforces it.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I was ready to shut this down instantly when I saw Horton's uninsured contract coming to the Sens, but I actually really like this value (which means Leafs fans will surely hate it :laugh: )

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Honestly, I wouldn't take Ceci as our 7th defenseman, and Duchene would either become a winger (in which I'd much much much rather keep the superior player in Nylander) or our 4th best C.

Reactions: Rob Brown

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Nylander and Dermott each have years and years of team control left. Duchene and Ceci have one year each, Duchene in particular would want big money. Matt Duchene hasn't scored 60 points 5 years and would play wing on the Leafs. Dermott will be better than Ceci very soon.

Point very much taken, but just to clarify Ceci has at least 2 years of control left, as he'll still be an RFA when his deal is up.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
pass from this Leafs fan, I don't see where our roster improves here, but I see where it gets worse in a couple of places. The top 3 centers will leave very little ES ice time for the 4th line C, so unless we're playing Duchene or Kadri 5 mins a night then Duchene would have to play wing as well, presumably a team wanting him as a center would pay more.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Dermott has the higher upside, and I think he'll surpass Ceci eventually. Nylander should come in around 6.5M on a longer term deal, so that trumps whatever Duchene signs at next season. I like Duchene, but not sure he'll even be an upgrade on Nylander once Willy comes into his prime.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What in the actual ****

And Leafs fans wonder why everybody hates them :laugh:

I am so bumping this thread if the Sens have a great year and, *gasp*, finish ahead of the Leafs (or maybe even beat them the playoffs, one can dream!)

Please remove the speculation tag, this is insulting

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
LOL WUTTTTTTTTT
Did I stutter?

Duchene would be a wing on the Leafs and I would much rather have Nylander over him. He's on team control, is much, much younger and has put up more points than Duchene in the last two seasons despite it being his first two seasons.

A lot of Sens fans wanted the team to pass on Ceci after his arbitration number came out. Why would we want him over a very young defenseman who has progressed very nicely, looked great down the stretch for the Leafs and was great for the Marlies in their Calder Cup win? And he's from Toronto to boot.

So yeah, this is a hard no for Leafs fans.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa (Melnyk) wants to shed salary and get younger, as they will not compete in the upcoming 5 years, at least.

To Toronto: Duchene + Ceci

To Ottawa: Horton's remaining 2 years, Nylander (RFA) & Dermott.

Good deal for both teams?

Who benefits the most?

The forward core in Toronto will be crazy.

Matthews, Tavares, Duchene, Marner, Kadri, Marleau and several younger guys coming up. Johnson, Kapanen etc.

If they don't win with those forwards and the improved D-line with Ceci (RD) the following 5 years, they will never win again.
Well, i guess we only have Matthews/Tavares/Kadri at C....leaves a glaring need at 4C, great idea to trade Nylander and Dermott for that!!

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
What in the actual ****

And Leafs fans wonder why everybody hates them :laugh:

I am so bumping this thread if the Sens have a great year and, *gasp*, finish ahead of the Leafs (or maybe even beat them the playoffs, one can dream!)
Sure, go for it. It's funny that you "hate" us because some of us said no to a deal that is very clearly not in our favour.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I actually think Nylander/Dermott are solid building blocks to go along side some of the prospects they already have.... I don't think they say no based on nylanders UFA in 5 years.. that's a bit ridiculous.

Even if your in a rebuild.. I think the idea is to get good quicker... nylander/dermott def help speed that up.

100% agree, especially with the rebuild on the fly mentality that Ottawa will need. I'm just saying based on OPs suggestion that they arent trying to compete for 5 years, why would you trade for 2 players who would be out of team control at that time.

Ottawa would win this trade and Toronto would be livid. But no way a trade of that magnitude is happening in the division, values aside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->