Cchl2

hockeyfan2014

Feb 17, 2013
I have heard at this is the last year for the EOJHL. Is it really dead?

Looks like the CCHL2 (please correct me if I am wrong) will be starting up next year.

Does anybody know how many teams and which teams are in this new league?

Will we see new franchises?

What will be the differences?

Lots of rumors out there and we all should know the details. I have a 16 year old son in the East end and I am not sure what to do with him. Any advise would be helpful.

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
I have heard at this is the last year for the EOJHL. Is it really dead?

Looks like the CCHL2 (please correct me if I am wrong) will be starting up next year.

Does anybody know how many teams and which teams are in this new league?

Will we see new franchises?

What will be the differences?

Lots of rumors out there and we all should know the details. I have a 16 year old son in the East end and I am not sure what to do with him. Any advise would be helpful.

And the secrecy continues.............

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
And the secrecy continues.............

This is pretty normal.

When you have a great idea, socialize it, get buy in and create excitement.

When you have a terrible idea, keep it quiet, vote it in and force it down peoples throats.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Saw this tweet today about a midget AAA super league ...Any ties to this league?

@SeanLafortune: For anyone unaware, there's a new Midget league forming in Ontario. Details here -> http://t.co/qqGAfYh1WI

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The question now is will Midget AAA remain non-profit or will the CCHL try to make money off of it?

It concerns me when they say super league I hope this is not what happens but it could be this new league more or less will be a jr b league.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
It concerns me when they say super league I hope this is not what happens but it could be this new league more or less will be a jr b league.

I was wondering the same thing. Will this Midget AAA league replace the Jr. B league as we know it?

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
I was wondering the same thing. Will this Midget AAA league replace the Jr. B league as we know it?

Here is a synopsis of the limited information that has been released so far, I hope I get it more or less correct.

- CCHL II will replace Jr B.
-- They are dropping 6 teams
-- They will at some point restrict the older players as the purpose of this league is to develop CCHL I players
-- Tighter integration of AP's with affiliated CCHL I club. (but why 16 teams and not 12 is a mystery)
-- Still allowed 16 year olds, even though when they pitched U18 they said they would remove them.

- CCHL U18 will replace Minor and Major Midget AAA
-- 12 clubs, all affiliated with a CCHL team
-- For profit as far as the money is fully enclosed within the CCHL budget (Do CCHL teams make a proift ?)
-- Starting this fall which is unbelievable since most AAA clubs where starting tryouts in a week or so

These are the facts that I have seen, not my opinions.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Thanks Valleydude, How are they going to come up with 12 teams of AAA Midget players? The numbers don't add up,what is there now 6 MInor and 6 Major AAA Midget teams. Now they want to make 12 teams out of those teams with the best of those still playing CCHL or CCHL2.

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
Thanks Valleydude, How are they going to come up with 12 teams of AAA Midget players? The numbers don't add up,what is there now 6 MInor and 6 Major AAA Midget teams. Now they want to make 12 teams out of those teams with the best of those still playing CCHL or CCHL2.

And what about OHA and CIHI? Two hockey schools with nowhere to play?

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
And what about OHA and CIHI? Two hockey schools with nowhere to play?

The OHA and CIHA are a wrinkle I had not thought of yet, but in all honesty the HEO could give a rat's butt about them so they are probably left to themselves to figure it out.

As for where are all the kids coming from, they don't care. This is not about raising the caliber of AAA, it's about $$$'s. Everyone of these kids will now be a paying customer of the U18 and CCHL Spring Development leagues.

The new logo for the league is "CCHL - Selling the Dream"

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
Here is a synopsis of the limited information that has been released so far, I hope I get it more or less correct.

- CCHL II will replace Jr B.
-- They are dropping 6 teams
-- They will at some point restrict the older players as the purpose of this league is to develop CCHL I players
-- Tighter integration of AP's with affiliated CCHL I club. (but why 16 teams and not 12 is a mystery)
-- Still allowed 16 year olds, even though when they pitched U18 they said they would remove them.

- CCHL U18 will replace Minor and Major Midget AAA
-- 12 clubs, all affiliated with a CCHL team
-- For profit as far as the money is fully enclosed within the CCHL budget (Do CCHL teams make a proift ?)
-- Starting this fall which is unbelievable since most AAA clubs where starting tryouts in a week or so

These are the facts that I have seen, not my opinions.

Not entirely correct, all finances for the U18 teams will be run by the U18 league, which will have an executive and is governed by HEO. The CCHL teams are not making any profit, that is one of the conditions from HEO. The finances are run by the league so the finances are not enclosed within the CCHL team budgets, the funds do not even get mixed together.

Apparently the concept will be fully explained this weekend at the U16 Camp the CCHL is holding. Some of the details I have heard are interesting like all teams playing in the same rinks twice a week, playing for the Jr A team you are drafted by...

I have heard people complaining about 15 year olds playing with 17 years olds, yet they have no problem with their 16 year old playing Jr B with 21 year olds?? It happens all across Canada, all Midgets are in one group almost everywhere else. With the top 16 & 17 year olds in Junior there should be lots of spots for 15 year olds.

My experience with the AAA group my youngest plays with certainly is not one of openness and disclosure. We never knew where our money truly went, it was thrown into a pot and disappeared, the Association had a balance of close to $85,000 in its accounts for just 5 teams, why not reduce fees to bring balance down. We were required to attend conditioning camps, pay for coach mentors, pay "honorarium" to executive members, exactly how much work is there to be equipment manager for 5 teams that the guy needs $5,000, coaches were paid way too much, executive members running conditioning camps.... I was on a minor hockey executive with close to 100 teams and our equipment guys never got paid anything, nor did I.

I am sure there will be some issues to workout b I am interested n learning more

Last edited:

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Not entirely correct, all finances for the U18 teams will be run by the U18 league, which will have an executive and is governed by HEO. The CCHL teams are not making any profit, that is one of the conditions from HEO. The finances are run by the league so the finances are not enclosed within the CCHL team budgets, the funds do not even get mixed together.

Apparently the concept will be fully explained this weekend at the U16 Camp the CCHL is holding. Some of the details I have heard are interesting like all teams playing in the same rinks twice a week, playing for the Jr A team you are drafted by...

I have heard people complaining about 15 year olds playing with 17 years olds, yet they have no problem with their 16 year old playing Jr B with 21 year olds?? It happens all across Canada, all Midgets are in one group almost everywhere else. With the top 16 & 17 year olds in Junior there should be lots of spots for 15 year olds.

My experience with the AAA group my youngest plays with certainly is not one of openness and disclosure. We never knew where our money truly went, it was thrown into a pot and disappeared, the Association had a balance of close to $85,000 in its accounts for just 5 teams, why not reduce fees to bring balance down. We were required to attend conditioning camps, pay for coach mentors, pay "honorarium" to executive members, exactly how much work is there to be equipment manager for 5 teams that the guy needs $5,000, coaches were paid way too much, executive members running conditioning camps.... I was on a minor hockey executive with close to 100 teams and our equipment guys never got paid anything, nor did I.

I am sure there will be some issues to workout b I am interested n learning more

For a while I actually believed this could make a positive difference, but once I saw that they are leaving the "pilot" 16 year old cards in Jr B I pretty much gave up on that.

If you want Major Midget to be like the rest of Canada, take 16 year olds out of the CCHL, I and II !

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
For a while I actually believed this could make a positive difference, but once I saw that they are leaving the "pilot" 16 year old cards in Jr B I pretty much gave up on that.

If you want Major Midget to be like the rest of Canada, take 16 year olds out of the CCHL, I and II !

CCHL 2 reducing by 6 teams will push 16/17 year olds into Major Midget adding more good players to league, will be harder for younger guys to make Jr B. They are also keeping four 21 year olds. With Jr A teams running Major Midget you have to think they would like most of their 16 year olds playing there.

Other parts of Country allow 16 year olds in Jr A and/or Jr A, not sure if all but BC, Alberta, East Coast.... do not to mention rest of Ontario. I think it would be good to drop all Jr teams to max 1 though.

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010

I can only speak to my experience with the Titans a few years back. NOBODY made $5000!!! And the trainer made zip. The coaches were given a small payment to cover gas (to get to games and practices) and hotels/meals when at tournaments. I think they received a bit for team clothing also. All parents were invited to a meeting when the team was chosen where a budget was presented which broke down all costs (ice, refs, pucks, etc.). It was very detailed. It's been 4 years but I think we paid around $3500. I could be off by a little.

I'm scared to see what the final cost will be for these new teams. Add to that the pressure to sign up for multiple camps and the development league as well. Sure glad we're no longer part of AAA.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
I can only speak to my experience with the Titans a few years back. NOBODY made $5000!!! And the trainer made zip. The coaches were given a small payment to cover gas (to get to games and practices) and hotels/meals when at tournaments. I think they received a bit for team clothing also. All parents were invited to a meeting when the team was chosen where a budget was presented which broke down all costs (ice, refs, pucks, etc.). It was very detailed. It's been 4 years but I think we paid around $3500. I could be off by a little.

I'm scared to see what the final cost will be for these new teams. Add to that the pressure to sign up for multiple camps and the development league as well. Sure glad we're no longer part of AAA.

Things have changed a lot in 4 years, coaches, executive.....all getting paid in almost all AAA groups, cost is huge for AAA. The costs being quoted are lower than my oldest one paid in his minor midget year. Based on what I have been told it is not more expensive, might even be cheaper. I am definitely interested in learning more, sick of seeing so called "volunteers" taking my money. The current AAA may be "nonprofit" but there are people making money off it, do not fool yourselves.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Things have changed a lot in 4 years, coaches, executive.....all getting paid in almost all AAA groups, cost is huge for AAA. The costs being quoted are lower than my oldest one paid in his minor midget year. Based on what I have been told it is not more expensive, might even be cheaper. I am definitely interested in learning more, sick of seeing so called "volunteers" taking my money. The current AAA may be "nonprofit" but there are people making money off it, do not fool yourselves.

I heard some numbers tonight from some people and they were throwing out numbers of $7500 per player for 12 teams....Where are they going to find the kids? American kids will be coming in to the CCHL Elite AAA U18 league and gladly pay it.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011

The Titan's did go through a short period in the last 5 years where they paid honorariums to their exec. The President's might have been in the $5K range. The rest were significantly lower. I think they ended this practice but don't have details.

One reality that we can not change now is that Competitive Minor Hockey is BIG BUSINESS. Hundreds of millions are being made across the country by people who sell the dream. Gone are the days of grabbing that old weight set in your parents basement and getting ready for tryouts.

Now it's : full time trainers, paid advisers, spring hockey, camps, treadmills, dryland, synthetic ice shooting, .....

We have to be close to the tipping point, but then again you never know how far people can go. It reminds me of the lottery craze in the 80's. Everyone was going to win that Wintario jackpot, now I almost never buy a lottery ticket.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
CCHL 2 reducing by 6 teams will push 16/17 year olds into Major Midget adding more good players to league, will be harder for younger guys to make Jr B. They are also keeping four 21 year olds. With Jr A teams running Major Midget you have to think they would like most of their 16 year olds playing there.

Other parts of Country allow 16 year olds in Jr A and/or Jr A, not sure if all but BC, Alberta, East Coast.... do not to mention rest of Ontario. I think it would be good to drop all Jr teams to max 1 though.

I don't think all parts of the country let 16 year olds play Jr A and I really don't think they can play Jr B. If you have data I would love to take a look. If I have time I will try and pull the rosters but unless you are signed up to Pointstreak's scouting package it's not easy.

hawkeye guy

Jul 7, 2010
U18 aaa

I have heard numbers in the $5000 range plus when you take out all the tournaments and travel it would end up costing less, no? Plus with players playing closer to home for practice and centralized games this would cut costs as well.
I guess it all depends who you talk to as well. Rumours and rinks go hand in hand.
This weekend at the U16 the information will be circulated directly from the horses mouth.
I would think the City teams will be very strong and the outlying teams will struggle getting players.

As for the CCHL 2 with less teams again would it not become stronger due to less spots and having 3 teams fold from in Branch those player will filter to the others. You won't have the 16 year olds so the combination will up the calibre.

I think both make hockey better and more exciting in the area not hurt it. Kudos to the leaders for getting it done and taking initiative. From what I've read it provides a development path for the player at a younger age instead of scrambling to not play midget plus the Jr A teams get to interact more with their draft picks and have a say. With the showcases being on light Jr days there is more affiliation possibilities for those players instead of them always being away at tournaments.

Time will tell but I think in 3 years this will have been a success and we will have forgotten about the negative.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
I heard some numbers tonight from some people and they were throwing out numbers of $7500 per player for 12 teams....Where are they going to find the kids? American kids will be coming in to the CCHL Elite AAA U18 league and gladly pay it.

The HEO presentation stated fees $4,700-$5,600 including all team wear, off ice programs, ice...... All 12 teams play in same rink every Monday (one of Sensplex's) and Saturday (rotates amongst 12 teams) plus 4 hours of practice per week. This will make scouting the Min Midgets easy. This works out to 44 game regular season, apparently little or no out of town tournaments (that is a big savings for players). Budgets prepared by league executive (HEO) and all finances go through league, there is not supposed to be profit for Jr A teams.

The players will come from existing 5 Min Midget and 5 Mj Midget AAA teams, plus with the reduced # teams in Jr B there will be players available from that, which will most likely be a lot of 16/17 year olds. Also, with more teams in outlying communities more top end AA players may choose U18 since closer to home now. No import players permitted, so no USA players or out of district.

There are a lot of positives to the program, plus I am sure there will be some issues still to resolve. It seems to follow the USA model more where players play in a club system. If you are a player looking to play Jr A you will be part of the club that drafted you from Minor Midget onwards. I know when my oldest son was drafted we rarely seen the Jr A team other than at camps, now they will be working with him all the time. For the 4-6 players every birth year that end up in the OHL I do not see any negatives, the top players are always found, under this set up scouting should be even easier for the OHL scouts since all teams playing in one location.

Personally I am keeping on open mind on it. If you have questions I would recommend to reach out and ask them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad