CCHL Midget Draft

HDunlop89

Aug 19, 2011
Let's be honest here, the only thing the midget draft does is backfill for the AAA teams. There were some good kids that didn't get taken, and some house league guys that were. All about filling coffers and trying to get kids to sign for the midget team. Find it highly unlikely that "B Rep" guys are gonna make the huge jump directly to Jr A.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Let's be honest here, the only thing the midget draft does is backfill for the AAA teams. There were some good kids that didn't get taken, and some house league guys that were. All about filling coffers and trying to get kids to sign for the midget team. Find it highly unlikely that "B Rep" guys are gonna make the huge jump directly to Jr A.

I heard if you didn't spend the money to attend the prospect camp you were not eligible for the draft....Is this true?

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015
I heard if you didn't spend the money to attend the prospect camp you were not eligible for the draft....Is this true?

I believe for the bantam camp you had to attend in order to be drafted but for the Midgets I don't think that was the case although i heard that picks in the first two rounds had to come from that camp. It seems like a big money grab to me.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
I believe for the bantam camp you had to attend in order to be drafted but for the Midgets I don't think that was the case although i heard that picks in the first two rounds had to come from that camp. It seems like a big money grab to me.

Did not have to go to Camp to be drafted nor did the first two rounds have to go.

Ducksflytogether

Apr 11, 2015
I think the draft was a bit of disappointment. I will never understand why some midget aa players get drafted before cchl2. It really just seems like its becoming more and more about the money.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
I think the draft was a bit of disappointment. I will never understand why some midget aa players get drafted before cchl2. It really just seems like its becoming more and more about the money.

Teams are drafting to fill their Midget teams next year. Also, most of top CCHL2 players midget aged are already on CCHL teams protected lists.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Teams are drafting to fill their Midget teams next year. Also, most of top CCHL2 players midget aged are already on CCHL teams protected lists.

So you are saying they are drafting midget aged kids to play midget, How does that make sense?

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
So you are saying they are drafting midget aged kids to play midget, How does that make sense?

I'm thinking they will need to replace all the 2000's that will move up to OHL(I know, small # for this level of play) or Junior (CCHL 1 & 2)...It's hard to imagine how AA will survive now that they are drafting these players into AAA.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
I'm thinking they will need to replace all the 2000's that will move up to OHL(I know, small # for this level of play) or Junior (CCHL 1 & 2)...It's hard to imagine how AA will survive now that they are drafting these players into AAA.

Wouldn't they be replaced with the 01s playing Bantam?

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Wouldn't they be replaced with the 01s playing Bantam?

There would not be enough of them to fill all the roster spots - the teams are mandated to have max of 3 birth year 1999 players dressed per game, 6-9 - birth year 2000 players and 6-9 birth year 2001 players.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
There would not be enough of them to fill all the roster spots - the teams are mandated to have max of 3 birth year 1999 players dressed per game, 6-9 - birth year 2000 players and 6-9 birth year 2001 players.

Are we sure that that many 2000s are going to move into the CCHL? Alot of teams seem to favour non Ottawa kids

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Are we sure that that many 2000s are going to move into the CCHL? Alot of teams seem to favour non Ottawa kids

No sure at all, I'm just speculating that the 99 and 00 kids would want to play at a higher level if possible and that the draft of the 00's would be to replace those who do leave (it may not be very many) the U18 kids who played this year that I know personally (a very small sample admittedly) are desperately hoping for CCHL or some other option because they think the league will be even weaker next year... I imagine that they are hoping that the 16 year old cards will go to local kids.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
No sure at all, I'm just speculating that the 99 and 00 kids would want to play at a higher level if possible and that the draft of the 00's would be to replace those who do leave (it may not be very many) the U18 kids who played this year that I know personally (a very small sample admittedly) are desperately hoping for CCHL or some other option because they think the league will be even weaker next year... I imagine that they are hoping that the 16 year old cards will go to local kids.

I just don't really have alot of faith that teams who haven't used local kids in the past will all of a sudden now. Whats the average amount of Ottawa 17 year olds who enter the league in the past, can't think its that high?

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
I just don't really have alot of faith that teams who haven't used local kids in the past will all of a sudden now. Whats the average amount of Ottawa 17 year olds who enter the league in the past, can't think its that high?

Do the math on how many kids per age group are now being drafted in the Bantam draft and subsequent years midget drafts. That number alone should give you a pretty good idea of what is going on here.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Do the math on how many kids per age group are now being drafted in the Bantam draft and subsequent years midget drafts. That number alone should give you a pretty good idea of what is going on here.

Cha ching...there will be lots of import/prospect camp money to count....

YoYoMa

Sep 2, 2015
I figure most teams will have between 60-75% turn over year over year.
Based on a 18-19 man roster:
Every year each team will have approx. 7 new 15 year olds. = 7 15YO ( 2001's for this upcoming year)
The second year players, now 16 ( 2000's), you may lose 2-3 to Jr hockey (OHL, CCHL, CCHL2) leaving 2-5 new 16 year olds needed for the team. = 8to9 16 YO
Depending on the 99's who are now the older age group, who comes back (most should move on to CCHL/CCHL2), you may need between 1 to 3 new 17 year olds. A team could elect to go no 17 YO's and use these numbers to round out the other two age groups
=3 17YO

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
I figure most teams will have between 60-75% turn over year over year.
Based on a 18-19 man roster:
Every year each team will have approx. 7 new 15 year olds. = 7 15YO ( 2001's for this upcoming year)
The second year players, now 16 ( 2000's), you may lose 2-3 to Jr hockey (OHL, CCHL, CCHL2) leaving 2-5 new 16 year olds needed for the team. = 8to9 16 YO
Depending on the 99's who are now the older age group, who comes back (most should move on to CCHL/CCHL2), you may need between 1 to 3 new 17 year olds. A team could elect to go no 17 YO's and use these numbers to round out the other two age groups
=3 17YO

Thanks for the info. There's some teams in the CCHL that I highly doubt will add 3 players from their farm team based on past roster decisions, but well see, the proof will be in the pudding as they say.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Thanks for the info. There's some teams in the CCHL that I highly doubt will add 3 players from their farm team based on past roster decisions, but well see, the proof will be in the pudding as they say.

Will be interesting to see if players choose CCHL2 over U18 or will they be persuaded to stay in the association and hope to get called up or move up part way through the season.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad