CCHL 2016/2017 Season

Johnny 2K8

Oct 23, 2008
Guy is supposed to be starting at Lake Superior State in Sept 2017. Did he un-commit or just delaying a year ?

He's coming back from surgery so have to think he'll play another year. His last game played was back in December. CP and OJS always near the top because they do things the right way. And they probably work harder than the other 10 teams.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
HEO is hosting Telus Cup Regionals this year so wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to stack one HEO team so they can be competitive. All minor aged players traded will be good CCHL players if they stick around.

So stacking a team or 2 to make a poor U 18 league viable is OK with you?
Shafting the players and parents in the process means nothing?

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016

This is the CCHL forum so please go to u18AAA forum if you want to discuss that league more.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Ottawa acquires Cameron Hebert & send Jackson Alexeev, Curtis Fabbro and Mathieu Talbot to Cumberland. Ottawa then packages Hebert with Zachary Cross to Cornwall receiving Nick Lalonde.
http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2017/07/01/colts-trade-lalonde-acquire-hebert

Lots of trading of minor aged hockey players.

HEO is hosting Telus Cup Regionals this year so wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to stack one HEO team so they can be competitive. All minor aged players traded will be good CCHL players if they stick around.

This is the CCHL forum so please go to u18AAA forum if you want to discuss that league more.

I think I was following the flow of this discussion.

Thank you for the helpful advise but these two leagues and therefore forums are forever linked together because the leagues are owned and operated by the CCHL1 owners.

Last edited:

HockeyVolunteer

Jan 8, 2016
Rockland Nats making moves

Lots of signings from the Nats. Going to be a brand new team this year, maybe 5 returners from last year. Plus a new Asst coach.

Are they making the right moves, or will they be the laughing stock of the league, yet again? Time will tell.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Lots of signings from the Nats. Going to be a brand new team this year, maybe 5 returners from last year. Plus a new Asst coach.

Are they making the right moves, or will they be the laughing stock of the league, yet again? Time will tell.

Key to this team will be to have some older players that can lead by pushing the pace in games and practices while helping young guys get accustomed to he league.

A league with all 12 teams capable of making playoffs would be nice. Still early to predict anything right now. We will have a better idea after first showcase weekend.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Guy is supposed to be starting at Lake Superior State in Sept 2017. Did he un-commit or just delaying a year ?

Rumor/word on the street.

Changes coming to Lake Superior State. Could be lots of players deciding not to go.:towel:

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Patrick Kyte from Pembroke just signed with Halifax Mooseheads so one less in CCHL and one less D1 commit.

Rumours of another player going OHL and two more players going south. Not going to mention names until it is in writing. Seems like a lot of graduating players and others going elsewhere. Is this much movement normal each year?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Patrick Kyte from Pembroke just signed with Halifax Mooseheads so one less in CCHL and one less D1 commit.

Rumours of another player going OHL and two more players going south. Not going to mention names until it is in writing. Seems like a lot of graduating players and others going elsewhere. Is this much movement normal each year?

Patrick was committed to Lake Superior State. Another sign that things are changing at Lake State. More to come.
Very glad Patrick has found a way to move up and advance his hockey. Great kid great family.

There is always movement in hockey.

cp57

Apr 13, 2016
braves camp

it looks like another banner camp for the Brockville braves. 108 kids on four teams at $300 each. website said 90% of team would be picked from this camp. well, apparently all the kids were asked/told to come back to next camp in august.

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015
it looks like another banner camp for the Brockville braves. 108 kids on four teams at $300 each. website said 90% of team would be picked from this camp. well, apparently all the kids were asked/told to come back to next camp in august.

Also heard that they have 10 kids coming in from China to play CCHL2 and U18 paying $50,000 each

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Also heard that they have 10 kids coming in from China to play CCHL2 and U18 paying $50,000 each

I hope you are wrong but this would not surprise me.
Expanding the game around the world. Making money for the CCHL owners as he goes.
CCHL2 imports not a great idea but its Junior I get it.
HEO U18 should be for local players only. My hope is this will not come true.

cp57

Apr 13, 2016
it will be interesting to see. heard that the kids from china will be attending the hockey academy as well.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
I hope you are wrong but this would not surprise me.
Expanding the game around the world. Making money for the CCHL owners as he goes.
CCHL2 imports not a great idea but its Junior I get it.
HEO U18 should be for local players only. My hope is this will not come true.

I haven't heard anything about Chinese players but I don't follow Brockville to much either so could be true. All these hockey academies between CCHL and local schools is so out of town kids can play in these leagues from what I am hearing.

I honestly don't have an issue with players coming in to make all 3 leagues stronger. This would be no different then star players going to the GTHL and if parents want to pay $50000 then that is their concern not ours. Maybe local fees could be lowered a bit if this happened.

Reality is local population of skilled hockey players is dropping each year so either we reduce teams or allow imports.

cp57

Apr 13, 2016
is it possible the skill level is dropping because it is getting too expensive?

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
is it possible the skill level is dropping because it is getting too expensive?

Maybe but just overall number of kids at each age level has been dropping past 5 years. Just look at school numbers and reason they are restructuring as well.

We haven't lost many players from Ottawa region yet but those numbers are starting to increase which isn't good for CCHL.

Just saw another player is moved to BCHL for this upcoming season, that is 3 that I know from last year's league.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
I haven't heard anything about Chinese players but I don't follow Brockville to much either so could be true. All these hockey academies between CCHL and local schools is so out of town kids can play in these leagues from what I am hearing.

I honestly don't have an issue with players coming in to make all 3 leagues stronger. This would be no different then star players going to the GTHL and if parents want to pay $50000 then that is their concern not ours. Maybe local fees could be lowered a bit if this happened.

Reality is local population of skilled hockey players is dropping each year so either we reduce teams or allow imports.

Hockey in this region was taken over 2 years ago by people who run hockey as a business. No one should be surprised they are bringing in a new customer base.

cp57

Apr 13, 2016
Jason, do you think this is an improvement, running hockey like a business?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

1 I honestly don't have an issue with players coming in to make all 3 leagues stronger.
This would be no different then star players going to the GTHL and if parents want to pay $50000 then that is their concern not ours.

2 Maybe local fees could be lowered a bit if this happened.
3Reality is local population of skilled hockey players is dropping each year so either we reduce teams or allow imports.

1. Two leagues are Junior they are allowed imports under HC Rules.
2. The people running the three leagues are doing a great job of making money for the Owners of the Junior teams they are not going to reduce fees.
3. Were are you getting this idea. Our HEO Minor AAA teams are higher ranked in Ontario then they have ever been since the HEO area went to 5 teams at AAA not 10 teams at AA. The drop off is now at U16 because the league they play in has 12 teams not 5.

Last edited:

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015
Had about 10 kids from quebec at our camp who paid 50k to play prep school in States...

You can't be serious about comparing The Braves to a Prep School. The goal of the new format was to get more local kids in the league not to bankrupt families.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad