CCHL 2013-2014 Season Part II

ECS Scout

Jul 28, 2010
East Coast
In the Bears acquisition of D. Plouffe back in Jan. '14, who was returned to Kanata? The USHL draft link shows C MacMillan as being a Kanata Laser. The hometown is the same on the USHL draft link as on the SF Bears roster info.
http://ushl.rinknetcloud.com/draft41.htm

The return to Kanata was a lot of things that they only know....

It was posted by some that Kanata received the rights to Connor Primeau (who is playing for St Lawrence College in Cornwall) a "Substantial" PDF and a Pick of any 94 or 95 off the Bears Roster.

They have Nine 94's remaining on the roster (Beasley, Buonincontri, and McMartin leaving for College) and out of the 95's, MacMillan may leave for the USHL, which leaves two remaining 95's. So I guess Kanata is waiting to see which players remain before they choose..

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
The return to Kanata was a lot of things that they only know....

It was posted by some that Kanata received the rights to Connor Primeau (who is playing for St Lawrence College in Cornwall) a "Substantial" PDF and a Pick of any 94 or 95 off the Bears Roster.

They have Nine 94's remaining on the roster (Beasley, Buonincontri, and McMartin leaving for College) and out of the 95's, MacMillan may leave for the USHL, which leaves two remaining 95's. So I guess Kanata is waiting to see which players remain before they choose..

There's no way the bears give up McCartney. Cassells loves him too much. And what exactly did Plouffe provide for the Bears anyway? Terrible trade.

Jeff077

Aug 2, 2005
Perth, Ontario
There's no way the bears give up McCartney. Cassells loves him too much. And what exactly did Plouffe provide for the Bears anyway? Terrible trade.

It wasn't a terrible trade it was a trade that did not work out for Smiths Falls because of Plouffe's injury.

You have to give up something to get a player like him, Primeau was nothing to the Bears, PDF is only money teams part with that all the time, and if Kanata gets another player, fair enough.

If you asked the Bears if they would do that trade again to get a "healthy" Plouffe I am sure they would do it again without blinking.

ECS Scout

Jul 28, 2010
East Coast

For a rental player (Plouffe - Leaving for Niagara) I agree with Ottawafan66, but the Bears were pulling out all the stops to win it all.

BTW - Good Luck to CPC at the RBC Championship this weekend! :handclap:

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
The two players were MacMillan and Marchand and they both know already. If Kanata loses MacMillan to the USHL they will get a big transfer fee.

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
It wasn't a terrible trade it was a trade that did not work out for Smiths Falls because of Plouffe's injury.

You have to give up something to get a player like him, Primeau was nothing to the Bears, PDF is only money teams part with that all the time, and if Kanata gets another player, fair enough.

If you asked the Bears if they would do that trade again to get a "healthy" Plouffe I am sure they would do it again without blinking.

For a rental player (Plouffe - Leaving for Niagara) I agree with Ottawafan66, but the Bears were pulling out all the stops to win it all.

BTW - Good Luck to CPC at the RBC Championship this weekend! :handclap:

I guess I should have qualified my statement. It ended up being terrible because of his injury. And maybe he wasn't 100% for the playoffs cause he wasn't a factor at all. And I remember thinking at the time of the trade that Kanata was crazy for doing it.

Jeff077

Aug 2, 2005
Perth, Ontario
I guess I should have qualified my statement. It ended up being terrible because of his injury. And maybe he wasn't 100% for the playoffs cause he wasn't a factor at all. And I remember thinking at the time of the trade that Kanata was crazy for doing it.

Agree 100%, I thought Kanata was crazy as well.

Grabbers

Jan 7, 2012
Ottawa, On.
Carleton Place scores three third period goals and defeats the host team from Vernon 3-2 to win game one at the RBC. Next game is late tonight versus Dauphin. Best of luck to Coach Clarke and his charges.

CJHL FAN

Jan 27, 2011
Tough loss in overtime last night for the Canadians. With the day off today hopefully the boys will get rested up.

On another note with the vacant coaching positions in Kingston Frontenac's and Ottawa 67's it could be possible that the CCHL could be looking for two new coaches. I can see Ian McInnis in Kingston along side his old linemate Doug Gilmour and if the 67's are looking for a winning coach they should not look further than Jason Clarke. He knows how to build winning teams. In just 5 years he has taken an expansion team to the National finals. He also knows how to recruit.

Good luck to the CP Canadians for the rest of the RBC Cup.

ORRT

Jul 7, 2011
If the 67's are looking for a winning coach they should not look further than Jason Clarke. He knows how to build winning teams. In just 5 years he has taken an expansion team to the National finals. He also knows how to recruit.
Good luck to the CP Canadians for the rest of the RBC Cup.[/QUOTE]

NOT sure CP could survive without JC at helm. Not sure Bryne's a JC fan either.
But I agree , good luck CP in RBC.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
I would think former CCHL coach and current owner Todd Gill would also make a great candidate for the 67's, might even be the frontrunner.

Regarding being a great recruiter which I agree JC is, it is not a big part of Major Junior Hockey. It is more about scouting and drafting the right players, there is some recruiting but not much. If he were ever to go there it looks like it would be strictly a coaching job.

ECS Scout

Jul 28, 2010
East Coast
Separate Jobs

Been a lot of talk about keeping the jobs separate (GM/Coach). That may not sit well with the egos of some of those out there who are looking for total control....Another candidate being talked about is Peter Goulet...

Grabbers

Jan 7, 2012
Ottawa, On.
RBC Update

Tough loss in overtime last night for the Canadians. With the day off today hopefully the boys will get rested up.

Good luck to the CP Canadians for the rest of the RBC Cup.

JC's Canadians defeat the Toronto squad 4-2 and are now 2-1 due to that earlier overtime loss. One more round robin game tomorrow versus Yorkton whom have yet to get a win to two tries. Looks like the CCHL champion will be playing Saturday in the Semis with a chance for the finals on Sunday - broadcast on TSN.

Good luck to CP - nice way to finish off a record breaking season.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Been a lot of talk about keeping the jobs separate (GM/Coach). That may not sit well with the egos of some of those out there who are looking for total control....Another candidate being talked about is Peter Goulet...

Oh please no... Peter Goulet is not ready for an OHL coaching job. I've even heard people questioning whether he's cut out to run the Raiders in the long term after this season.

ECS Scout

Jul 28, 2010
East Coast
Oh please no... Peter Goulet is not ready for an OHL coaching job. I've even heard people questioning whether he's cut out to run the Raiders in the long term after this season.

I hear you...The other big rumor is former NHLer Jeff Brown, current Head Coach of the Indiana Ice (USHL). The Ice are going dormant after this season, due to not having a proper arena facility....In fact, they are in the USHL Finals right now. Brown would be a good choice for the 67's, but he wants to Coach his Son (Logan Brown 6'4 209lbs, Drafted by Niagara, #6 pick this year).
It will be interesting if the 67's can swing a trade with Niagara, then hire his Dad

ORRT

Jul 7, 2011
Big semi tomorrow CP vs Dauphin Kings. Hopefully some of injuries have cured . CP will need to be on top of their game to avenge earlier loss to Kings.
Good luck guys!

eddyshack

Apr 30, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Royal Bank Cup Semis

Does anyone know the formula for determining the standings at the RBC Cup ?

It appears CPC is 4th and play the top ranked team - Daphin Kings. It does not make sense. Of the 3 teams tied for 2nd, CPC had the best GF - GA differential.

Perhaps playing Daphin is not a bad thing. They matched up well in their OT loss.

Good luck to JC and the Carleton Place Canadians.

Bockwinkel

Jan 12, 2013
Eddy I believe that since the three teams tied at 2-2 all beat each other in the round robin the next tiebreaker is goal differential in games between the three teams.

CP 4 Vernon 3
Vernon 6 Yorkton 4
Yorkton 3 CP 1

CP is -1
Yorkton is even
Vernon is +1

Hence Vernon 2nd place, Yorkton 3rd place and CP 4th.

I think the top 4 teams are fairly close and a hot goalie or strong special teams on the weekend could make any of the 4 a National Champion

eddyshack

Apr 30, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Eddy I believe that since the three teams tied at 2-2 all beat each other in the round robin the next tiebreaker is goal differential in games between the three teams.

CP 4 Vernon 3
Vernon 6 Yorkton 4
Yorkton 3 CP 1

CP is -1
Yorkton is even
Vernon is +1

Hence Vernon 2nd place, Yorkton 3rd place and CP 4th.

I think the top 4 teams are fairly close and a hot goalie or strong special teams on the weekend could make any of the 4 a National Champion

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for breaking it down.

It was suggested that the # 1 team could pick their opponent. That would be different ????

I agree. A hot goal tender could steal the show. The 4 teams are very close.

A major championship must be intimidating for some players. Hopefully, the big guns on CPC are settled in and warmed up. It will be a weekend of great hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad