Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine, J. Roslovic [Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pockets16

Jan 30, 2007
It will be interesting to see Laine's reaction when Torts benches/yells at him the first time for having a lazy shift, you know it's going to happen at some point.

Reactions: Forepar

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
While I'm not a fan of Torts as a person, I do acknowledge he's a good coach so I'm interested in seeing how he plans to get him the puck and what types of players he makes his line mates, PP systems he uses, etc.

I found much to agree with but I must say that Torts' virtues as a coach don't extend to man advantage situations. He often uses PP ice time as a reward for strong 5v5 play, and there is very frequent turnover. The players themselves seem ungifted for the job and any chance to develop that alchemical magic on the PP is hard to come by with so much turnover. The PP coach proper is Brad Larsen, he is always pleading with Torts to stop swapping the players around, but to no avail.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I found much to agree with but I must say that Torts' virtues as a coach don't extend to man advantage situations. He often uses PP ice time as a reward for strong 5v5 play, and there is very frequent turnover. The players themselves seem ungifted for the job and any chance to develop that alchemical magic on the PP is hard to come by with so much turnover. The PP coach proper is Brad Larsen, he is always pleading with Torts to stop swapping the players around, but to no avail.

Interesting, didn't know that about Torts. I mean he would be crazy not to use Laine on the PP, the PP is Laines greatest gift or ability as a sniper (just look at his PP points vs his 5vs5 points in career). But I see what your saying regarding other players on the PP......it will be interesting to see if Torts can get more out of Laine. PMO is known as a players coach, not sure I would describe Torts as a players coach, but if anyone can get the most out of Laine it will be Torts.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It will be interesting to see Laine's reaction when Torts benches/yells at him the first time for having a lazy shift, you know it's going to happen at some point.

Not sure how that will go, I don't recall PMO ever yelling at Laine on the bench in 4+ years......I mean he yelled at Laine from the bench.......but I don't recall any situation of PMO yelling at Laine while Laine was sitting on the bench.

Nov 24, 2006
Roslovic may bust out but I'd say it's unlikely?

I think people are seeing him as a "throw in" to the PLD / Laine trade because most teams have a guy like Roslovic - sort of a top 6 tweener. He couldn't really unseat anyone in the top 6 of the Jets now, and he didn't really belong in the bottom 6 the way that Maurice runs the bottom 6. I dont know how long it will last, but Andrew Copp moved to to #2 LW when Laine left and has fit in remarkably well - he's collected a lot of points in just a few games. Roslovic couldn't do that last year when he was given top 6 minutes.

If Columbus has a top 6 worse than the Jets (and I don't really know much about Columbus), Roslovic may get to 50 points with the right opportunities, or he may not.

Reactions: North

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Interesting, didn't know that about Torts. I mean he would be crazy not to use Laine on the PP, the PP is Laines greatest gift or ability as a sniper (just look at his PP points vs his 5vs5 points in career). But I see what your saying regarding other players on the PP......it will be interesting to see if Torts can get more out of Laine. PMO is known as a players coach, not sure I would describe Torts as a players coach, but if anyone can get the most out of Laine it will be Torts.

Torts won't take Laine off the PP, but the other 4 guys are likely to continuously turn over. And you can't really set up Laine well on the PP if you can't threaten to make plays with the other 4 guys.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I thought Roslovic looked pretty good in his first game. Showed good speed, good hands and some nice backchecking. Also better on faceoffs than I thought. First game but I prefer positive starts to clunkers. I think he's the key to the trade. If CBJ get a 40-50pt center out of the deal and 35-40 goals from Laine with an improved PP, they will be a better team because of it. No 1C any more, however, Domi, Texier and Roslovic all could be 2C or 2C+ level centers. They all appear to have the ability. Once the CBJ gets settled with Laine in the lineup we'll see what they look like 5 or so games in. I'm encouraged.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
He is the kind of guy to take that the right way. Finnish people in general like straight forward and honest people. I think it will be a nice match.
We also saw how Laine reacted in Winnipeg when he didn't get his way. If he gets yelled at and disagrees, Laine doesn't seem to back down. We know Torts won't back down either. That is where it is interesting.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I thought Roslovic looked pretty good in his first game. Showed good speed, good hands and some nice backchecking. Also better on faceoffs than I thought. First game but I prefer positive starts to clunkers. I think he's the key to the trade. If CBJ get a 40-50pt center out of the deal and 35-40 goals from Laine with an improved PP, they will be a better team because of it. No 1C any more, however, Domi, Texier and Roslovic all could be 2C or 2C+ level centers. They all appear to have the ability. Once the CBJ gets settled with Laine in the lineup we'll see what they look like 5 or so games in. I'm encouraged.
I gotta see this Texier guy play again. 20 career points at the age of 21 and BJ fans expectations of this guy are real high. 2c is the lowest expectation I have seen on these boards this year.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I gotta see this Texier guy play again. 20 career points at the age of 21 and BJ fans expectations of this guy are real high. 2c is the lowest expectation I have seen on these boards this year.
Texier has really opened some eyes with his play this year. Last nights shootout goal is a great one and showcase of his skill. he's had a good start to the year on a CBJ team that continues to struggle to score. He's a no quit player with a little edge and has the creativity and skill CBJ has lacked at Center. Don't know that he'll be a great one but he sure looks like he's getting it and only 6 or 7 games at C. Early to tell but the signs are very positive (not just points).

Reactions: thebus88

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
He's a kid that does all the little things right. Last season you could see glimpses of his full potential and this season he's showing it game in and game out. I hope he can keep it up cause we desperately need him to be what he's shown he can be.

TheFamousFart

Dec 25, 2020
We also saw how Laine reacted in Winnipeg when he didn't get his way. If he gets yelled at and disagrees, Laine doesn't seem to back down. We know Torts won't back down either. That is where it is interesting.
It will be great, trust me. Both Torts and Laine are straightforward guys who are and appriciate honesty above all. Torts "says" everything honestly and that is what Laine needs and wants. It will work work out alot better than some guys here seem to think.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
When the yelling makes no sense or is not coherent with the coaches it is very different. Torts isn't perfect, but if anything he has the rationality that Maurice lacks.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
When the yelling makes no sense or is not coherent with the coaches it is very different. Torts isn't perfect, but if anything he has the rationality that Maurice lacks.
there is no rationality to it at all. in no other profession do employers yell at their employees even if they deserve it. trying to humiliate someone by yelling at him doesnt work. doesnt help that he has to play mind games with his players to boot. maurice treats his players with respect cause thats what decent people do.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
there is no rationality to it at all. in no other profession do employers yell at their employees even if they deserve it. trying to humiliate someone by yelling at him doesnt work. doesnt help that he has to play mind games with his players to boot. maurice treats his players with respect cause thats what decent people do.
First time I have ever heard any one say that Maurice treats his players with respect.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I had barely heard of him last week, but I, as a FLA fan, was extremely impressed with what I saw from Texier the previous two games.
If how he played was how he keeps playing the rest of the year, then he is already a 2C imho.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
First time I have ever heard any one say that Maurice treats his players with respect.
internet has every interview he has done find one that has him throwing players under the bus better still find 1 that shows him yelling at a player on the bench and pointing his finger in players faces.

edit: and you wont see him being a douchebag to reporters either, he answers every question respectfully even when the jets lose.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I like Roslovic a lot and think he's a great athletic player with speed and good skating. He's looked very good at times as part of the cycle in the offensive zone and forechecks pretty well. I agree not to expect to much out of him pts wise but also wouldn't put too low of a ceiling on him. He dominated the AHL and heck he even has a hattrick in the NHL and was named the NHL player of the week once. He just may end up being more of a RW then a C. Good luck to him and the Jackets and of course Laine. It's tough to watch a player like Patrik leave the Jets as he provided a hell of a lot of entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad