Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine, J. Roslovic [Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Laine reminds me of Panarin. Wants that NYC treatment.

Could see Laine happy in like Dallas, LA, PHL, BOS, COL, MON, TOR, CHI,VGK and...maybe even Seattle? Crazier things have happened and I expect Seattle to be a fairly player-friendly town sooner than later.
I don’t think Laine needs the big city. He wants to be one of the lead dogs but not THE lead dog. My feeling is he wants to find a team where him and another high end player can be the premier players on the team and lead the team to glory.

I really wonder how his attitude goes once he is a lead dog and things go sideways and there is no one else left to blame. It won’t be so easy after a long stretch of bad games that he can just stand in front of the media and flat out say that he has been bad when he doesn’t have a deep team to share the responsibility with. It’s always easier to complain about the leaders than be a leader yourself.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Was it close to what NYR offered? If Laine does sign an inflated contract, I think that might damage the internal cap structure of the team when your star contracts are up.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out this offseason (or earlier, since Laine can sign an extension now).
It exceeded the Rangers offer. He simply wanted to go to NY. I believe CBJ offer was in excess of $12.5M AAV

Hiukafen

Sep 14, 2016
Laine reminds me of Panarin. Wants that NYC treatment.

Could see Laine happy in like Dallas, LA, PHL, BOS, COL, MON, TOR, CHI,VGK and...maybe even Seattle? Crazier things have happened and I expect Seattle to be a fairly player-friendly town sooner than later.
I think Finns are fine with cities like Winnipeg and Columbus. For Laine is likely the role which matters. He wants to be TOP 1-2 player of team and it wasn’t so easy job in Jets.

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
I read a story in a local Winnipeg paper about PLD phoning his dad (who is a coach for the Jet’s farm team) every hour or so, wanting to know if he had any news on where the Jets were at. The tone really comes across as him being happy with the destination.

Hope that is true, and he is here long term. Jets are showing signs of being tough to play against again. With a key piece missing which was Laine and now PLD. To me, his potential impact is highly intriguing. I think he will make the Jet’s a tougher out come playoffs, assuming they qualify.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I read a story in a local Winnipeg paper about PLD phoning his dad (who is a coach for the Jet’s farm team) every hour or so, wanting to know if he had any news on where the Jets were at. The tone really comes across as him being happy with the destination.

Hope that is true, and he is here long term. Jets are showing signs of being tough to play against again. With a key piece missing which was Laine and now PLD. To me, his potential impact is highly intriguing. I think he will make the Jet’s a tougher out come playoffs, assuming they qualify.

I believe PLD will help the Jets.

But to clarify.
Laine was the toughest top 6 player on the lineup. With PLD coming in you are replacing it not adding on top 6.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

lawrence

May 19, 2012
this is one of the bigger 1 for 1 deals in recent memory. It's actually a huge trade, considering what the objective moving foward was for the teams that drafted these guys. It's unfortunate things didn't work out for Laine and Luc Dubois. Laine is a more skilled foward of course a better shot, PLD is more of a heart and soul guy that will be a menace, come playoff time, it's like Laine is a Mitch Marner, and Luc Dubois is a Bo Horvat type different needs, I am very certain at some point, Laine or Dubois asking price was a Brock Boeser 100% gauranteed I personally like this trade for the Jets, I really do.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I am not sure why people think Laine cant produce more or the same in Columbus.

He played with really a revolving centers including offensive stalwarts like Eakins and Lowry.
The time when he played with Schiefele most time he was almost a point a game player last year and 1.1 point a game player year 1.

No number center, his point production will be offset with more minutes probably 25% more in Columbus.

I am not sure is he going to play with Bjorkstad?
There its similar line what he is getting with the Jets.

Offensive challenge C
but good opposit wingers ehlers/connor?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

He played with really a revolving centers including offensive stalwarts like Eakins and Lowry.
The time when he played with Schiefele most time he was almost a point a game player last year and 1.1 point a game player year 1.

No number center, his point production will be offset with more minutes probably 25% more in Columbus.

I am not sure is he going to play with Bjorkstad?
There its similar line what he is getting with the Jets.

Offensive challenge C
but good opposit wingers ehlers/connor?

The Jackets can put together something that looks like the old Jets second line if they have Laine play opposite Bjorkstrand. Oddly enough, the two Danes, Bjorkstrand and Ehlers, look like two of the better 5v5 playdrivers in the league.

It's the powerplay where Laine should lose a lot of goals. Not that he won't make the PP better in Columbus but there is only so much a player can do by himself.

Reactions: Viqsi

Royale With Cheese

Fuelled by Whiskey
Nov 24, 2006
The Jackets can put together something that looks like the old Jets second line if they have Laine play opposite Bjorkstrand. Oddly enough, the two Danes, Bjorkstrand and Ehlers, look like two of the better 5v5 playdrivers in the league.

It's the powerplay where Laine should lose a lot of goals. Not that he won't make the PP better in Columbus but there is only so much a player can do by himself.
I wonder if they will double shift him on the PP. They probably should have done that more in Wpg.

Reactions: majormajor

lawrence

May 19, 2012

it's because he will be playing John Torterella. He hates guys who slack off, actually I don't know what he likes anymore, he's an enigma for whatever reason, lots of good players left that team over the years while he was the coach, maybe Columbus should consider hiring a different coach at some point.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Does Jones Werenski offset Schiefele Connor ?

Not sure , i dont know their Powerplay formation

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
it's because he will be playing John Torterella. He hates guys who slack off, actually I don't know what he likes anymore, he's an enigma for whatever reason, lots of good players left that team over the years while he was the coach, maybe Columbus should consider hiring a different coach at some point.

You are thinking Laine is a slacker.
He is not.

But for sure we dont know how those 2 will work out there.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I believe PLD will help the Jets.

But to clarify.
Laine was the toughest top 6 player on the lineup. With PLD coming in you are replacing it not adding on top 6.

I think people have too high expectations of Laine and what his impact will be.
When he is feeling it and the puck is going in for him things are great and there are highlight goals galore. However he has been invisible for lenghty periods of time during the previous two seasons.

Unfortunately his dry months aren't going to be overlooked as much when playing for a team that has some trouble scoring.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
this is one of the bigger 1 for 1 deals in recent memory. It's actually a huge trade, considering what the objective moving foward was for the teams that drafted these guys. It's unfortunate things didn't work out for Laine and Luc Dubois. Laine is a more skilled foward of course a better shot, PLD is more of a heart and soul guy that will be a menace, come playoff time, it's like Laine is a Mitch Marner, and Luc Dubois is a Bo Horvat type different needs, I am very certain at some point, Laine or Dubois asking price was a Brock Boeser 100% gauranteed I personally like this trade for the Jets, I really do.
This is not a 1 for 1 deal.

I really, really don't get why people just plain ignore Roslovic. He's a 30 point center, potentially 40. Those aren't free or widely available or Edmonton would have acquired half a dozen of them.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
When he is feeling it and the puck is going in for him things are great and there are highlight goals galore. However he has been invisible for lenghty periods of time during the previous two seasons.

Unfortunately his dry months aren't going to be overlooked as much when playing for a team that has some trouble scoring.

The only real dry months he had was when he had the back injury in year 3.
Other than that he goes through ups and down just like any goal scorer.

But you are right some have extreme high expection of him.

I never realy place what he will do, like 60 goals 100 points. Too much expectation and mostly unlikely.
What i normally post is what he had done or accomplished, because also some disregard it.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

lawrence

May 19, 2012

I really, really don't get why people just plain ignore Roslovic. He's a 30 point center, potentially 40. Those aren't free or widely available or Edmonton would have acquired half a dozen of them.

well no but on paper the main deal is PLD for PL

Reactions: snowkiddin

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think both teams will be able to sign the players to along term deal. PLD will be happy in Wpg near his dad and on a team where he can be a 1A/1B with Scheifele (thus giving his line some easier matchups on some occasions). Laine just wants to play on the first line and I suspect doesn't care about in which city. While he might prefer a coach who has a more offensive system, I don't think this will be a problem for him.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

I think you're in for a surprise. Roslovic has been too good for the AHL but not good enough to take a job from Winnipeg's top-6 for a while and it's left him stuck in the middle with fewer minutes and less talented line-mates. Every once in a while, he'd get a shot higher up the lineup and it seemed to make him a bit nervous, and he'd be back to the 3rd line on the next shift.

I think 50 should be about what you expect from Roslo. I call him a 2A if you're playing him as a C.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

He's already much more consistent than he was in 2018-19 - last year Laine's worst month was still 7 pts in 12 games. The Jackets can live with that if his hot streaks are hot enough.

Does Jones Werenski offset Schiefele Connor ?

Not sure , i dont know their Powerplay formation

No. Jones is pretty clumsy on the PP, great shot but very little deception. Werenski can break a defense with his fakes but he's a LHS so it's harder for him to tee up Laine from the point. There are great shooters like Bjorkstrand that might be able to do a Scheifele impression in the bumper position. At the point the Jackets don't have a RHS equivalent of Buff, or even Pionk.

Why Edmonton hasn't acquired more of them is a bit boggling. I think this year Holland just wildly overestimated Turris.

Columbus really isn't short on guys who can score 30-40 pts in middle six C roles, that's why it does feel more like a 1 for 1 to me. Supposedly Jarmo was really insistent going back months that it had to be a Laine+Roslovic 2 for 1 deal. Perhaps it is just the need for some kind of asset to offset the high risks/demands that come with Laine, or perhaps he sees something more in Roslovic.

I think you're in for a surprise. Roslovic has been too good for the AHL but not good enough to take a job from Winnipeg's top-6 for a while and it's left him stuck in the middle with fewer minutes and less talented line-mates. Every once in a while, he'd get a shot higher up the lineup and it seemed to make him a bit nervous, and he'd be back to the 3rd line on the next shift.

I think 50 should be about what you expect from Roslo. I call him a 2A if you're playing him as a C.

He got more than a one shift "shot higher up the lineup" last year. He was 2RW for most of the year playing with great 5v5 players like Ehlers and Wheeler. Roslovic showed no scoring touch. 50 points seems unlikely to me.

I think both teams will be able to sign the players to along term deal. PLD will be happy in Wpg near his dad and on a team where he can be a 1A/1B with Scheifele (thus giving his line some easier matchups on some occasions). Laine just wants to play on the first line and I suspect doesn't care about in which city. While he might prefer a coach who has a more offensive system, I don't think this will be a problem for him.

PLD will be happy. I don't think Laine cares about city or any of that but he knows his destiny is to be a 50-60 goal guy and he won't settle long term anywhere unless he feels he is in a place to do that. I doubt he asks out of Columbus any time soon but it should be a lot of short term deals for Laine, wherever he goes, until he can get the scoring platform and the 8-figure salary that matches his ambitions.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
"LaInE wOnT pRoDuCe uNdER TorTs"

People said the same thing about Panarin, and even Saad when he was moved to Columbus.
This Jets fan thinks he will for sure. It's probably a good thing that he's had a few years in the league and matured a bit before playing under Torts. There were some nights it seemed he was sulking and not playing well and not moving his feet which wouldn't fly with you guys and Torts. I think that Laine and Torts would have butted heads eventually. I have my money on Torts upping Laine's compete level which will be very fun for Columbus fans to watch. I think he has a monster season and hope he continues on to be the player us Jets fans hoped he'd turn into.
Don't really care about winning this trade. Deals done, I just hope that it's a win-win for both teams and puts an end to players wanting out of our organizations.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
The only real dry months he had was when he had the back injury in year 3.
Other than that he goes through ups and down just like any goal scorer.

But you are right some have extreme high expection of him.

I never realy place what he will do, like 60 goals 100 points. Too much expectation and mostly unlikely.
What i normally post is what he had done or accomplished, because also some disregard it.

No one who plays on the 1st PP is truly going to be held off the score sheet for extended periods.
It is the 5v5 droughts that are rough.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He's already much more consistent than he was in 2018-19 - last year Laine's worst month was still 7 pts in 12 games. The Jackets can live with that if his hot streaks are hot enough.

No. Jones is pretty clumsy on the PP, great shot but very little deception. Werenski can break a defense with his fakes but he's a LHS so it's harder for him to tee up Laine from the point. There are great shooters like Bjorkstrand that might be able to do a Scheifele impression in the bumper position. At the point the Jackets don't have a RHS equivalent of Buff, or even Pionk.

Why Edmonton hasn't acquired more of them is a bit boggling. I think this year Holland just wildly overestimated Turris.

Columbus really isn't short on guys who can score 30-40 pts in middle six C roles, that's why it does feel more like a 1 for 1 to me. Supposedly Jarmo was really insistent going back months that it had to be a Laine+Roslovic 2 for 1 deal. Perhaps it is just the need for some kind of asset to offset the high risks/demands that come with Laine, or perhaps he sees something more in Roslovic.

He got more than a one shift "shot higher up the lineup" last year. He was 2RW for most of the year playing with great 5v5 players like Ehlers and Wheeler. Roslovic showed no scoring touch. 50 points seems unlikely to me.

PLD will be happy. I don't think Laine cares about city or any of that but he knows his destiny is to be a 50-60 goal guy and he won't settle long term anywhere unless he feels he is in a place to do that. I doubt he asks out of Columbus any time soon but it should be a lot of short term deals for Laine, wherever he goes, until he can get the scoring platform and the 8-figure salary that matches his ambitions.

I agree with all these comments, you hit them all on the head IMO.

Jack has proven to be a 3rd liner winger......never have succeeded at centre in the NHL over any large sample size, and didn't really take advantage of his chance on the 2nd line wing most of last year producing only 29 points. But he is a solid 3rd line winger, maybe 3C and can move up in the lineup to fill in for injuries as needed and not look totally out of place. He's better offensively then he is defensively......not saying he's bad defensively, I would say he's average.

Laine properly supported by systems and players around him can become a PPG player and produce 40+ goals per year. I don't think Laine has the skating or engine to ever produce 100+ points like OV. Laine doesn't drive play, but is an elite sniper. Ideally a team has a centre and the other winger who can drive play and forecheck to get Laine the puck in shooting positions. Laine is more effective on the rush. On the PP he is effective in his spot at the top of the circle for the one timer which is lethal.......getting him the puck to shoot is the hard part. Teams adjusted after the first couple years to defend the pass to Laine on the PP, so you need ideally a PP Dman who can get that pass to him very fast for the one timer before defenders can block the pass or get in front of it to block it or the big across the ice pass through the seem like Wheeler used to do a lot, but often was a low % success rate after the first couple years bc teams got their sticks in the passing lanes so much. I'll be curious how CBJ create schemes/systems on the PP to get him the puck. Jets team & players I found often defaulted passing Laine too much instead of taking the shot themselves both on the PP & 5vs5, this year (yes small sample size so far) we're seeing former linemates (& new team systems especially on the PP) shooting more and being very successful doing it. So the risk I'm saying is hopefully CBJ don't fall into that trap also of over passing to Laine, when you do you often the pass fails or give it to Laine in a less high risk shooting position to shoot or defenders know the pass is coming to him so cheat to defend it or to block the shot. While I'm not a fan of Torts as a person, I do acknowledge he's a good coach so I'm interested in seeing how he plans to get him the puck and what types of players he makes his line mates, PP systems he uses, etc.

Give Laine that support on his line and PP and he will develop into a guy who can produce 75-85 points & 40+ goals moving forward. I won't comment on Laine defensively, everyone knows he isn't a defensive stalwart and never will be.....albeit last year he started to improve in that area some. I can't ever see Laine scoring less then 30 goals in a full season regardless of his team mates or systems.......Laine can score from any place in the offensive zone, his favorite of course is the top of the circle OV one timer. Good luck, he is a sniper no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->