Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine, J. Roslovic [Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I was told repeatedly that Nick Suzuki is better/going to be better than PLD and wouldn’t be moved for him...

If Roslovic is the best piece in the deal, is he consequently better than Nick Suzuki? That’s the real question.

:sarcasm:

Certainly has been in the last 5-6 games lol

I love 5-6 games sample size. Roslovic is probably running on a high from being traded to his home town. Happens quite often.

At the end of the day, I still think Winnipeg comes out on top of that trade.

and no, Roslovic isn’t any better than Suzuki.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Laine for Dubois alone was always a massive steal.

this is turning terribly bad for Winnipeg.

i know Dubois hasn’t played but always thought he was overrated and still think it. Glad the Dubois to Montreal talks are over.

I don't think he is overrated, but I dot see what he brings to Winnipeg being replication of Schief.

I'm sure this trade looks a lot better for Winnipeg in a few weeks or next year.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I don't think he is overrated, but I dot see what he brings to Winnipeg being replication of Schief.

I'm sure this trade looks a lot better for Winnipeg in a few weeks or next year.

It could turn out to be OK.

But it also can turn out to be a monumentally bad trade for WPG. If Laine gets on the right path to become the next Ovi, and Roslovic turns out to be a legitimate top 2C, and PLD doesn't mature into a top line C that some thinks he could be, then this will be one of the worst deals of the decade, when we look back on it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

But it also can turn out to be a monumentally bad trade for WPG. If Laine gets on the right path to become the next Ovi, and Roslovic turns out to be a legitimate top 2C, and PLD doesn't mature into a top line C that some thinks he could be, then this will be one of the worst deals of the decade, when we look back on it.

I doubt it is going to be viewed as one of the worst deals of the decade. PLD at his worst is still a top six C.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I doubt it is going to be viewed as one of the worst deals of the decade. PLD at his worst is still a top six C.

If Roslovic turns out also to be a top 6 C (which is looking good at the moment), and Laine turns into a perennial Richard contender (which he definitely has the potential to do so), then the deal becomes giving away the next Ovechkin for free.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Jets are gonna lose big time. Laine will blossom into a 50 goal scorer and Roslovic will be a solid 50 pt centerman while PLD is a #2 that struggles in Peg. PLD is better suited for a #1C spot on another team.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Okay. It could also mean Laine walks in a year and Roslovic gets COVID and passes away since we are coming up with "reasonable parameters of expectation". PLD has barely played in WPG.

It's pretty reasonable, in terms of a scenario with a significant probability density in the distribution, that 1) PLD becomes a permanent 2C, 2) Roslovic continues production that is somewhat close to his current stint, and 2) Laine turns into a legitimate top-3 goal scorer in the league. It's actually one of the most likely scenarios when looking back 10 years from now.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

I love Laine, but other than his shot, he doesn't plat like young ovi at all, nobody does. OVI is a one of a kind.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I love Laine, but other than his shot, he doesn't plat like young ovi at all, nobody does. OVI is a one of a kind.

Ovi in terms of achievement, not necessarily stylistically. I think some here pegging (no pun intended) Laine as a one dimensional shooter are quite short sighted. He has the raw skills in a few different areas, and has shown flashes of each. Just need more time to flesh out the rest of his game. Whether he has the persistence to do that is a different question.

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
Trying to figure out who won a trade between two teams that both lost high end young talent seems asinine. Both teams and players are getting fresh starts with new relationships to build. Unless all parties are relatively happy going forward, there are no winners in this scenario, both lost something that was a cornerstone of their franchise. I am hoping that the players are all successful on their new teams and stay there, both teams are small market teams and both need to retain talent.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
[QUOTE="sandybridge, post: 175963688, member: 304939"]Ovi in terms of achievement, not necessarily stylistically. I think some here pegging (no pun intended) Laine as a one dimensional shooter are quite short sighted. He has the raw skills in a few different areas, and has shown flashes of each. Just need more time to flesh out the rest of his game. Whether he has the persistence to do that is a different question.[/QUOTE]

Boy are you going to be dissappointed.

How have fans not learned that Laine can't hold Ovi's jockstrap at this point?

Reactions: Cypruss

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
[QUOTE="sandybridge, post: 175963688, member: 304939"]Ovi in terms of achievement, not necessarily stylistically. I think some here pegging (no pun intended) Laine as a one dimensional shooter are quite short sighted. He has the raw skills in a few different areas, and has shown flashes of each. Just need more time to flesh out the rest of his game. Whether he has the persistence to do that is a different question.

How have fans not learned that Laine can't hold Ovi's jockstrap at this point?[/QUOTE]

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014

[/QUOTE]
Ovi was the most hated player on this site until he won a cup and Laine took over. I should say love/hate.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020

I think we can put the talk to rest that Laine will be the next Ovi...

Kovalchuk seems like a much better comparison going forward

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018

Not sure what you are trying to say, not really a rational argument. Of course he isn't at this point. The question is whether he will in 10 years time.

That's still an open question that can go either way. The original tenant that we were discussing is whether that falls inside what's reasonably feasible for Laine's career.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
Laine gives you a better chance to score on the man advantage than any other player in the league. I think that's why he is so valuable.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

So, you’re saying IF the players CBJ do extremely well and IF Dubois does extremely bad, it will be a very bad trade for the Jets.

LOL.

You can do that same IF/THEN logic to any trade.

EDIT:

IF Laine goes on a season long cold spell, continues to be a defensive liability and refuses to resign with CBJ unless he gets premium AAV, which will wreck any good trade compensation; and

IF Roslovic reverts to a 30 point player; and

IF Dubois realizes his ceiling as a 1C centre

THEN this will be one of the worst deals of the decade durp durp.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
If Roslovic turns out also to be a top 6 C (which is looking good at the moment), and Laine turns into a perennial Richard contender (which he definitely has the potential to do so), then the deal becomes giving away the next Ovechkin for free.
I think the most likely scenario is:

Laine is a regular 35-40 goal scorer
PLD is a #1 C with a strong 2 way game
Roslovic becomes a decent 2C.

Roslovic re-signs, not sure about Laine. PLD resigns for $9 million x 6 years.
PLD will be the most valuable player and this probably helps both teams.

Reactions: Nedarb

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
That's a LOT of ifs.

What if Laine leaves in free agency and Roslo comes back down to earth and PLD light it up with better wingers???
The Jets walk away smiling.

See how that works?

By the way, the Jets are 5th in goals scored after playing only 17 games and the CBJ are 10th with Laine and Roslo after 18 games. Wait until PLD gets into game shape.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Torts benches Laine and you think he'll re-sign?
He's gone to Florida or California as soon as he can.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I have similar expectations but I'm doubting that will be an improvement for the Blue Jackets. I think it really depends on how the two-way games of Roslovic and Laine develop. Right now it isn't pretty, PLD is a much better two-way guy and the Jackets feel like a mess without him.

Reactions: hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad