Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine, J. Roslovic [Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I mean, this trade was based on all players wanting a change of scenery.

I have a feeling Roslovic is hot right now, but time will tell.

Likely yeah, but that's fine. I think the hope is this can carry his confidence to being a 2C at least.

If CBJ got Laine and a 50 point center out of this deal, signing both to long-term contracts, the Jackets did very well.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Some people are trying to assess this trade after a half a dozen games? LMAO.
And they would all trade the whole lot of players involved for a 1 round bag of magic beans on top of everything.
children-stock-stock_market-market-investment-trading-mshn47_low.jpg

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
The person is somewhat right tho. It’s way to premature to be trying to claim winners. Things can switch fast.[/QUOTE
The person is somewhat right tho. It’s way to premature to be trying to claim winners. Things can switch fast.
A mediocre center for a mediocre center that just started to get ice time and is lighting it up. Then there’s Laine who was injured and he’s still almost a goal a game. Dubois seams more likely to fit on a checking line.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
[QUOTE="wabagee, post: 175885971, member: 239869"Responding to webagee[/QUOTE]

You don’t trade 40 goal players for checking line centers. I think most Winnipeg fans would agree. It is way to early to access anything. These players are very young and it likely takes years to determine a winner. But what has Dubois honestly done as a Jet yet? Does he even have a point yet? That alone says this conversation is pointless.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
[QUOTE="wabagee, post: 175885971, member: 239869"Responding to webagee

You don’t trade 40 goal players for checking line centers. I think most Winnipeg fans would agree. It is way to early to access anything. These players are very young and it likely take years to determine a winner. But what has Dubois honestly done as a Jet yet? Does he even have a point yet? That alone says this conversation is pointless.[/QUOTE]
He will never be #1/center on the Jets and statny is a better #2 now and Perfetti might steal it next year. Hopefully he makes a good winger.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
The person is somewhat right tho. It’s way to premature to be trying to claim winners. Things can switch fast.
I'm starting to wonder. PLD isn't going to have as big a role on Jets while Laine and Roslo are already being depended on as 1st liners.

It's not the first time Jarmo has done this...

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Let me get this straight.

People were saying instantly after the trade that the ”Jets won by a mile” and ”Torts gonna eat Laine alive” etc.

But now after couple games (and after Laine/Roslo playing well and also producing) some of the same people are saying not to judge this trade yet. Hilarious.

Reactions: mattihp

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

People were saying instantly after the trade that the ”Jets won by a mile” and ”Torts gonna eat Laine alive” etc.

But now after couple games (and after Laine/Roslo playing well and also producing) some of the same people are saying not to judge this trade yet. Hilarious.

Actually, I never said Jets won the trade or Torts gonna eat Laine alive. I did laugh at people judging this trade after a handful of games.

Look, if you internet fans want to judge it now, go ahead. I don’t expect intelligent analysis from most of you TBH.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Actually what i read was way different then what your describing.
Most had the Jets losing the trade right from the start. The worry was on how Laine was gonna react to Torts.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Wait, who argued that the Jets won this deal on the day of the trade? It was a super lopsided trade towards the Jackets from the second it was made

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Wait, who argued that the Jets won this deal on the day of the trade? It was a super lopsided trade towards the Jackets from the second it was made

People said that with the Trouba trade too LMAO.

Maybe you guys can relax and assess after the season, especially after seeing the term and AAV of Laine’s contract.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

I don't know who said Jets won by a mile but FWIW most people thought the Blue Jackets got the better return in the initial reactions:

Who won the the PLD/Laine trade?

I liked it more for Winnipeg initially but given it's already clear Roslovic was not a throw in and will be a contributor for Columbus, possibly a top 6 center and willing to re-sign (most likely as a Columbus native) it's already looking quite great for Columbus, and it might be clear they've "won" the trade by the end of the season.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
The trade should have been PLD straight up for Laine. Perhaps CBJ throws in a pick. So basically a swap of 2nd pick for 3rd pick plus another asset. Roslovic to CBJ was a dumb move by the Jets to throw him in.

Laine's career will be done fast. Torts going to bench him nonstop while PLD does nothing.

Out of the top 4, if you do a redraft now, I think you go
1. Matthews
2. Puljujarvi
3. PLD
4. Laine

Yes, this is no joke. JP's got his game together and is more effective. Wait till he gets out of the covid protocol. Heck, he's done more than PLD and Laine combined this season.

It's really hard to take you seriously with a post like this. In your first post you say Laine was a one year wonder, and that PLD has done nothing. Both are ridiculous statements. Laine only scored the 3rd most goals in NHL history for players under 20. PLD has the same numbers as Scheifele did at the same games played. Both have been core pieces of their teams for multiple years. On the other hand you look at a guy in Pulijujarvi, who is playing really well this season, who wasn't even a regular in the league for his first 4 seasons and claim he's better than both PLD and Laine over his career based on less than 20 games played in a primary role. Either you are being a POE or your orange colored glasses are getting dirty.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

There was an Athletic article posted that day by Lebrun who took an informal poll of GMs around the league, and they felt WPG won the deal by a very wide margin. In fact, I don't think a single anonymous GM felt CBJ won the trade.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
The value for the Jets was getting a 1B center that wanted to play in Winnipeg and could be locked up on a long-term contract at a reasonable cap hit (between Scheifele and Connor's AAVs). Chevy would not have shipped Laine out if he was the right fit and they were willing to pay him - he said at least once that the analytics didn't support Laine's ask. Laine probably wants something in the 9 million range; having $17 million locked up in 2 imperfect RWs isn't really a recipe for success. While I truly believe that Laine wanted to stay in Winnipeg, his agent was playing hardball and Chevy called his bluff. The team seems to have a culture based on being reasonable, team-first and wanting to play in Winnipeg. Dubois fits, but the contracts decide if there was a loser bere.

Reactions: hn777 and Guffman

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
I think GMs in general seem to overvalue the Centre position.
As a Jets fan, I did not initially like the trade as we downgraded Laine to PLD and gave away Roslovic for next to nothing.

After watching PLD highlights, I am excited to see him play like that on the ice. He seems genuinely happy to be in Wpg though.

Laine, is as advertised, big elite shot but big deficiencies concerning turnover rate and losing most puck battles.
I'm happy to see Roslovic get a chance at a higher role but I don't think he can sustain this offensive production. He does seem to be a much more assertive player now than in Wpg. (almost unrecognizable) (I think he tops out at 25G 30A/year which is awesome in exchange for a 3rd)

So overall, I don't think Wpg got great value but there were some huge underlying issues. It will look bad in CLB when Laine either wants 10M per season or pulls a Roslovic and doesn't want to sign.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I'm happy to see Roslovic get a chance at a higher role but I don't think he can sustain this offensive production. He does seem to be a much more assertive player now than in Wpg. (almost unrecognizable) (I think he tops out at 25G 30A/year which is awesome in exchange for a 3rd)

Roslovic wasn’t traded for a third.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Actually what i read was way different then what your describing.
Most had the Jets losing the trade right from the start. The worry was on how Laine was gonna react to Torts.

Most had the Jets losing the trade because they thought Laine was in a different tier(skill level) than Dubois. It was dumb that Chevy is wasting his prime asset on Dubois. Which is way off.

Which is funny because you can argue now the prime asset wasted was actually Roslovic.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
There were those 10 GMs that spoke to LeBrun in his Athletic article, but what do they know compared to some internet forum posters?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There were those 10 GMs that spoke to LeBrun in his Athletic article, but what do they know compared to some internet forum posters?

Yeah, always remember that the "H" in HF Boards stands for "hubris." Such knee-jerk reactions on this stuff. Isn't it possible both times got what they wanted out of the deal?

Reactions: hn777 and Buffdog

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
IMO there are two parts to this trade. Short term and long term. The Jackets might win the trade on the short term. The long term winner will be which player signs an extension with the team he's on now. I think both the Jets and Jackets will lose long term because I can't see either player sticking with either team.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
IMO there are two parts to this trade. Short term and long term. The Jackets might win the trade on the short term. The long term winner will be which player signs an extension with the team he's on now. I think both the Jets and Jackets will lose long term because I can't see either player sticking with either team.

Can't forget Roslovic.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Before any games were played I thought it was ridiculous already, but even after Roslovic's been a point per game for CBJ people still pretend he wasn't a part of the trade.

If we're talking about the likelihood of these players staying with their teams, Roslovic's the most likely one by a mile.

Reactions: mondo3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad