CBJ Training Camp Thread (Sept 13th-Oct 3rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Are we gonna pretend that Stenlund playing 4th line minutes is better for him and for Columbus long term than (I assume) being the 1C in Cleveland?

Remember when everyone swore that Ryan Johansen and Boone Jenner were being irreparably damaged by starting as a wing on the fourth line in the NHL instead of playing a top-line role in the AHL?

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Remember when everyone swore that Ryan Johansen and Boone Jenner were being irreparably damaged by starting as a wing on the fourth line in the NHL instead of playing a top-line role in the AHL?

Well at least it didn't damage one of them.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Meanwhile, Stenlund gets a season in the AHL getting top minutes and playing under John Madden.
You are saying this like it's good for him. Who has developed under Madden in last 2 years he's there? Sedlak, Anderson, Bjork are all products of Bednar. Vegnault? Bittner? Thurkauf? Milano?

Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
You are saying this like it's good for him. Who has developed under Madden in last 2 years he's there? Sedlak, Anderson, Bjork are all products of Bednar. Vegnault? Bittner? Thurkauf? Milano?
I've been one of Madden's biggest detractors by far, but after what he was able to do with our Traverse City squad, I'm willing to eat crow and give him a chance to see what he's able to do with a much more talented roster.

Bittner is garbage and will always be garbage. Ryan Collins will be an AHL defenseman at best who plays hot potato with any puck. Thurkauf looked pretty good once they moved him to center toward the end of the season (too bad that won't happen this year), and Vigneault has clearly impressed some people on these boards between Traverse City and training camp.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
He also said directly after "I don't put a lot into players performances in exhibition games"
And Wennberg has already admitted to having a bad camp and preseason and is going to focus on his game. Which is exactly what you want from s player.

That’s absolute bs, and just a quick answer he gave about bobs atrocious play.

From the story linked below ....

As promised, head coach John Tortorella and his staff broke down the camp roster into two groups and that is how the players skated, whether they were playing in tonight's game or not.
Group one holds the players the organization is looking at to make the NHL roster, and group two is designed to help shape the AHL roster for the Cleveland Monsters

Group one held a meeting today where they started to review defensive zone coverages, forechecking and neutral zone work.
But don't think those groups are set in stone. While the list sends a pretty clear message where players fall in the depth chart right now, a new list goes up every morning and it can change as far as who is on it.
"It sends a thought to the players that this is where you're at whether you like it or not," Tortorella said. "There it is and there's the guy that's ahead of you right now."
Tortorella says his door remains open to anyone who wants to come talk to him about it. A few players from group two already grabbed some of his time when the initial list came out. The head coach's message to those guys is "you're not locked in there, stay with it."

Here is where my opinion is stated....

Also , you can make excuses for Wennberg , but his camp illustrated his biggest flaw. He has no fire in his belly, he’s soft . The great players have a burning desire to be the best , Wennberg isn’t one of those players . Let’s not forget , he lost his job to a rookie last year , but Jarmo talked him up as to how he would challenge for that number 1 spot :laugh:. He responds by taking 2 shots in preseason . And then becomes invisible for his last 4 games . Very telling, let’s pray with the cap room we have , he’s shipped out , and we bring in a center that has complete level in his DNA

Tortorella puts new twist on traditional training camp groups

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006

As promised, head coach John Tortorella and his staff broke down the camp roster into two groups and that is how the players skated, whether they were playing in tonight's game or not.
Group one holds the players the organization is looking at to make the NHL roster, and group two is designed to help shape the AHL roster for the Cleveland Monsters

Group one held a meeting today where they started to review defensive zone coverages, forechecking and neutral zone work.
But don't think those groups are set in stone. While the list sends a pretty clear message where players fall in the depth chart right now, a new list goes up every morning and it can change as far as who is on it.
"It sends a thought to the players that this is where you're at whether you like it or not," Tortorella said. "There it is and there's the guy that's ahead of you right now."
Tortorella says his door remains open to anyone who wants to come talk to him about it. A few players from group two already grabbed some of his time when the initial list came out. The head coach's message to those guys is "you're not locked in there, stay with it."

Also , you can make excuses for Wennberg , but his camp illustrated his biggest flaw. He has no fire in his belly, he’s soft . The great players have a burning desire to be the best , Wennberg isn’t one of those players . Let’s not forget , he lost his job to a rookie last year , but Jarmo talked him up as to how he would challenge for that number 1 spot :laugh:. He responds by taking 2 shots in preseason . And then becomes invisible for his last 4 games . Very telling, let’s pray with the cap room we have , he’s shipped out , and we bring in a center that has complete level in his DNA
If you're going to mix your opinions with quotes, please include the source/make the differences clearer so we can double check the information. We don't need someone else with a magical Leading One reputation. :)

Reactions: The Bread Man

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Some of this reads like it's sourced from someone's reporting and some of this feels like it's your reaction to it, but it's hard to distinguish. If it's your intent to fudge the lines between what's yours and not yours, that's a problem.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
We haven't had any center prospects of note for him to try and develop. Which is what I said at the end of my post you quoted.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Some of this reads like it's sourced from someone's reporting and some of this feels like it's your reaction to it, but it's hard to distinguish. If it's your intent to fudge the lines between what's yours and not yours, that's a problem.

I have updated with the link . Torts is just full of shit , plain and simple . The list can change daily , if you don’t like it , work hard and change it ...

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Gustav Ollofson could be a bandaid on defense at the start of the season ? I really want all the claim

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
We haven't had any center prospects of note for him to try and develop. Which is what I said at the end of my post you quoted.
I've been one of Madden's biggest detractors by far, but after what he was able to do with our Traverse City squad, I'm willing to eat crow and give him a chance to see what he's able to do with a much more talented roster.
What do they say? I will believe it when i see it. This year he has a playoff roster over there, we will see what he'll do with it.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
The same Ryan Johansen who wasn’t AHL eligible in 2011-12? And who then played 40 games in the AHL during the lockout? And please don’t compare Jenner and Stenlund, they play completely different styles.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
From Porty's notebook, on the new look PP units:

"• The top unit had Zach Werenski on the point, with Cam Atkinson (left) and Artemi Panarin (right) on the half-walls, Dubois in the mid-slot and Nick Foligno down low. So, Foligno has replaced Wennberg at net-front, and Dubois is taking Foligno’s spot in the mid-slot.

• The second unit had Murray on the point — another hint that he’s likely returning — with Anthony Duclair (left) and Oliver Bjorkstrand (right) on the half-walls, Boone Jenner at mid-slot and Wennberg down low."

So of the 4 half-wall slots available, we've only got one guy (Cam) on his one-timer side. Such a waste!

I am excited to see what Dubois and Jenner can do in the central spots. Good muscle to win loose pucks.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Same notebook - here's Atkinson on Hartnell:

“He came in when times were pretty tough, and he helped change the culture, little by little. We had (a team) at the time where it was ‘all about me, I’m all about me,’ and he really sat down with us as a group."

I haven't thought of the Jackets having that sort of pomposity issue since -- 2012? Was it just Johansen? Maybe Wiz? I don't know what this is about.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Zack Savard
Murray Nut
Kukan ?

and will they put harrington on ir or send somebody down

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Seems our best hope for a good season is if our 4th line becomes our second line.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I can see the season playing out starting with

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Dubinsky-Anderson
Duclair-Nash-Milano

and, with luck, ending with success from something like

Foligno-Dubois-Atkinson
Duclair-Stenlund-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Wennberg-Milano
Nash-Dubinsky-Anderson

Maybe some shuffling adding Mark Stone (unlikely) or Eberle at the deadline.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Wennberg will NEVER be what he should be. He has made it clear thru numerous statements to the press that he plays the game he wants to play regardless of what the coaches say. He will be a defensively oriented center, who can't win face offs and who passes the puck rather than shooting it. He will NEVER be what he "should be" because, quite simply, he does not want to be that kind of player. And he does not care what the coaches think. End of story.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Certainly we should be able to pick up at least Eberle at the dead line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad