Player Discussion: Jake Bean discussion

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Realistically you can only give good ice time and opportunity to 6 defensemen, and they had committed to going with their veterans. They didn't have a spot for both Vince Dunn and Jake Bean, who are similar offensive LD with weak defensive games. They chose Dunn over Bean.

Bean is really good offensively - his PP numbers are especially strong. But even in Columbus where we're starting a rebuild it can be hard to fit a player like him in. We're now in a position where we need to give PP minutes to Bean, Boqvist, and Werenski.

Are you assuming they resign Dougi Hamilton? If he goes elsewhere they would have room I would think?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Seems like a reasonable deal for a guy expected to be an everyday 4-5 defensemen who could play as a 3 at times, especially with some of the crazy contracts that were handed out on day 1. (Yes, realize he’s an RFA). Bean and CBJ should both feel ok about this one.

Reactions: We Want Ten

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I like the Bean signing. Now I still have questions on why Carolina wanted him out (again I get they have vets) but still something seems off.
But for a buy with his ability it's a good contract.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I like the Bean signing. Now I still have questions on why Carolina wanted him out (again I get they have vets) but still something seems off.
But for a buy with his ability it's a good contract.

Have you seen what Carolina has done this offseason? I don't think I have any questions about why they wanted him out.

Reactions: LJ7201

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
To me this is less about Carolina and more about Seattle. Why did they pass on this same opportunity? Young D with PP value would seem to be an obvious target for them. The guy they took from Carolina is at least not initially projecting to be in their lineup.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
To me this is less about Carolina and more about Seattle. Why did they pass on this same opportunity? Young D with PP value would seem to be an obvious target for them. The guy they took from Carolina is at least not initially projecting to be in their lineup.

Seattle absolutely botched their draft.

Reactions: koteka and DJA

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Because Ron Francis is clueless, and has been since he was with Carolina.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I don’t know for sure why Carolina didn’t want to keep him, but my one guess would be that it was because he had one of the worst playoffs performance I have ever seen against Tampa. Sure it was Tampa, but he was also just completely lost during every crucial moment in that series, and I dare to say that his abysmal performance was a big reason why Tampa was able to beat Carolina quite comfortably after all.

I of course hope that he can be much better for Columbus, but I honestly don’t have a lot of trust in that happening. He was that bad in the last playoffs. It was true Mr. Bean comedy show on ice.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I don’t know for sure why Carolina didn’t want to keep him, but my one guess would be that it was because he had one of the worst playoffs performance I have ever seen against Tampa. Sure it was Tampa, but he was also just completely lost during every crucial moment in that series, and I dare to say that his abysmal performance was a big reason why Tampa was able to beat Carolina quite comfortably after all.

I of course hope that he can be much better for Columbus, but I honestly don’t have a lot of trust in that happening. He was that bad in the last playoffs. It was true Mr. Bean comedy show on ice.

He was essentially a rookie and Tampa made Montreal look like a bunch of clowns in the finals as well. I wouldn't crucify a player for one series, especially a young D-man playing his first playoffs, who had all of 50 or 60 NHL games under his belt at that point.

Reactions: Forepar

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Curious to see what CBJ fans think of Bean's value with you guys being up on the cap. I imagine after you send down a cuple guys you'll be cap complient, so there's no urgency to clear cap until Jenner and Texier are back.

Are we looking at negative value or would Jackets be looking to unload others before him like Gavrikov. This is assuming you don't want to pay the price to rid of Nyquvist

As a LHD that can play the right side and is mostly a defensive defenseman, Bean would fit exactly what Sens need, without the price tag of Chychrun. Obviously a downgrade but Bean still has room to grow into a 2nd pairing guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad