Player Discussion: Jake Bean discussion

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
He's got top-pair upside without the analytics guys frowning on him, so, yeah, the Analytics Parrots are making this out to be a total slaughter instead of being a merely very good trade for the Jackets.

I like the sound of that.

Reactions: MissADD

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Larson may want more of those types of defensemen. We can't say yet so I am not gonna speculate about this until I have to. Lets just enjoy the trades for what they are rioght now.
If we are going to play a more offensive, european style of hockey we'll need them.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I know nothing about him. I assume they wouldn't have made the trade unless they planned to give him a multi-year deal. Is he worth a 2nd round pick and the salary to keep him?

Reactions: Fro

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I know nothing about him. I assume they wouldn't have made the trade unless they planned to give him a multi-year deal. Is he worth a 2nd round pick and the salary to keep him?

he’s an RFA and made like $800k last year. I don’t think you’ll need to worry about the salary. A second round pick for a cheap serviceable nhl dman with upside (buried on Carolinas stacked D) is fine with me.

Reactions: majormajor

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I havent followed his NHL career but I remember watching him as a junior and honestly didnt love him. He was one of those huge upside but not likely to reach that upside. Good puck mover but struggles when the puck is coming the other way. Seeing a couple Carolina posters comments makes me think not a ton has changed and still needs to be sheltered. That said hes just 23 and as a defenseman hes far from a finished product and is still better than some guys we have. He adds to what Jarmo has been moving towards lately with a more skilled team

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I havent followed his NHL career but I remember watching him as a junior and honestly didnt love him. He was one of those huge upside but not likely to reach that upside. Good puck mover but struggles when the puck is coming the other way. Seeing a couple Carolina posters comments makes me think not a ton has changed and still needs to be sheltered. That said hes just 23 and as a defenseman hes far from a finished product and is still better than some guys we have. He adds to what Jarmo has been moving towards lately with a more skilled team

If you are thinking 2-3 years down the line is this what you should be targeting? Make you a bit better now when the 2nd round pick could be ready to do that in a few years when you need that more. And Seattle even passed on him in the expansion draft for a non descript forward.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If you are thinking 2-3 years down the line is this what you should be targeting? Make you a bit better now when the 2nd round pick could be ready to do that in a few years when you need that more. And Seattle even passed on him in the expansion draft for a non descript forward.
eh, just like a 2nd round pick you are taking a chance. Like I said, I havent followed his NHL career so I cant speak to confidently on his game today but he was atleast always a confident guy with the puck on his stick. Just a matter of if we can either shelter him or he grows with more oppurtunity. Sometimes all a player needs is a chance, this is his chance

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Ah yeah, I love when my two teams trade with each other.

Bean is interesting. He is abysmal defensively at times. Just questionable decision making. He gets outmuscled rather easily with his slight frame. This likely leads to the questionable decisions because he knows he can't rely on physicality. He'll never be a top pairing defenseman. I never thought he would be. That doesn't mean he can't be good. He is a great playmaker from the backend. Can find the open man as he moves down from the point. Impressive skater. I thought that if Hamilton was leaving Raleigh it would allow him to showcase more of his point producing ability with the Canes. Alas, I think he wants more playing time that they were just not comfortable giving him since their window is open now.

This gamble is a worthwhile one imo for the Jackets. Even if he just becomes a 4-5 D-man who really only shines on the PP, it will help lessen the special teams pains if Werenski leaves.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If we are going to play a more offensive, european style of hockey we'll need them.

I wouldn't call it "European". If anything Euro leagues are more defensive.

But looking at how the Panthers played last year where all six D could skate and push play forward quickly, that makes for an exciting brand of hockey and a lot of offensive pressure.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I live down here in NC so I watch a lot of Canes hockey and their announcers are homers but Bean is a guy that was stuck behind a lot of top tier defenders. He was also a PPQB so that’s in his favor.

A good friend of mine, a huge hockey fan, Isles and Canes, my internist and doc who does my colonoscopies so he knows his sh*t thinks Bean was a steal.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Heres the thing I worry about Bean:
Why was Carolina trying to get rid of him? THey assumed Seattle would take him in expansion draft, then when not taken they moved him for a 2nd round pick. His usage in the playoffs was ver low (barely over 13 minutes).
To me I like the trade - but I really am fascinated on why Carolina was so eager to get rid of him?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Why was Carolina trying to get rid of him? THey assumed Seattle would take him in expansion draft, then when not taken they moved him for a 2nd round pick. His usage in the playoffs was ver low (barely over 13 minutes).
To me I like the trade - but I really am fascinated on why Carolina was so eager to get rid of him?
Carolina is doing a lot of weird shit so far this offseason, I wouldn’t read too much into it. Seems to me just like a guy who was stuck on a stacked D and needs a fresh start.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It's also the case that Bean needs time to make mistakes, while Carolina doesn't have time for that. They're trying to win now and this kid was a liability for them at 5v5.

Great 5v4 numbers though!

Reactions: Xoggz22

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Seattle also passed on Max Domi and a few other bigger names.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Who else do they have in the pipeline behind him?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Bean wasn't a big name or expensive. He fit exactly what they were doing and they passed on him.

They took plenty of other similar left D. They took a young, big, right shot C from Carolina. They weren’t out to draft the 30 guys with the best trade value. The point of the draft was for Seattle to build a team they can ice in a few months. Like they took an AHL guy with some NHL experience from us. Every team needs those guys, too. So instead of guys with more value, they took Bayreuther.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bean wasn't a big name or expensive. He fit exactly what they were doing and they passed on him.

Realistically you can only give good ice time and opportunity to 6 defensemen, and they had committed to going with their veterans. They didn't have a spot for both Vince Dunn and Jake Bean, who are similar offensive LD with weak defensive games. They chose Dunn over Bean.

Bean is really good offensively - his PP numbers are especially strong. But even in Columbus where we're starting a rebuild it can be hard to fit a player like him in. We're now in a position where we need to give PP minutes to Bean, Boqvist, and Werenski.

Reactions: Xoggz22

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
On the blueline, there were a few nitpicks for me. I would've loved to see them grab any of Connor Clifton (from the Bruins), Troy Stecher (from the Red Wings), Jake Bean (from the Hurricanes), and Brett Kulak (from the Canadiens). Without any other incentive to do so reportedly, I have no idea why they took Kurtis MacDermid (from the Kings) and Gavin Bayreuther (from the Blue Jackets) instead. The latter is a 27 year old Unrestricted Free Agent, with 28 non-descript NHL games to his name. The former had a 36 percent on-ice expected goal share at 5-on-5 last season, which was the worst mark of any regular player in the league. From Rinkside Dmitri Filipovic 7/23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad