GDT: CBJ @ Tampa (@ Toronto) | Game 5 | On the Brink of Elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Sort of embarrassing that Torts walked out after 40 seconds. I like the guy, but he needs to man up to the questions at the end of the season.

Yeah but this is a post-game presser, not a post-season presser.

Obviously, I understand the ramifications of today's loss, but that doesn't make the concepts equal. I would expect the organization will have some sort of exit press availabilities in the coming days.

That said, he should probably do better in this setting, but it needs to be better and appropriate to the setting on the reporters' end, too. And I'm a staunch defender of journalists.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
I hate that we are such a well liked team by opposing fans. I want to be the Penguins, the Bruins, Etc where opposing fans live to hate our team. Every congratulatory post from other teams fans confirms it that much more. Nobody was running over to the Maple Leafs forums after their series loss to console or congratulate them. Instead they were rightfully mocked and taunted - even by fans of teams in last place.

Teams like Columbus, Phoenix, Carolina, Florida, etc don’t irritate or scare anyone. There’s no pedigree, no hatred. I want to be hated.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Bummed in the moment but I still enjoyed watching them play their hearts out for most of the playoffs.

I loved watching the growth of the kids, PLD and Tex have bright futures.

Couple of tweaks and this team will continue to grow and fight, next year bodes well for watching some good hockey.

PS

Is the Wennberg of old back? I have hope.

Reactions: majormajor

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I hate that we are such a well liked team by opposing fans. I want to be the Penguins, the Bruins, Etc where opposing fans live to hate our team. Every congratulatory post from other teams fans confirms it that much more. Nobody was running over to the Maple Leafs forums after their series loss to console or congratulate them. Instead they were rightfully mocked and taunted - even by fans of teams in last place.

Teams like Columbus, Phoenix, Carolina, Florida, etc don’t irritate or scare anyone. There’s no pedigree, no hatred. I want to be hated.

agreed, the pious platitudes are unwelcome, at least in my opinion. I highly doubt we’d get the same responses if we won the series.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
The questions they asked were stupid.
Did you guys let up at the end?
Whats it like playing in a bubble?
You know what? Don’t like “stupid” questions? Irritated by the press? Quit. Get a job where nobody ever cares what you think or asks any questions. Torts is a great coach, but he’s a horse’s a$$ when dealing with the media. Bobby Knight like at times. Embarrassing.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I hate that we are such a well liked team by opposing fans. Every congratulatory post from other teams fans confirms it that much more.
Maybe it's not that the team is well liked, it's that we can commiserate on how it feels to be in your shoes. And being female, empathy is part/parcel of who I am.

That's why I stopped by. I posted my @#4t on the twitter account (not the official one but a semi-official CBJ one) ... once. Just once.

After that, we're just fans of a game in the best sport. Even the players are friends with each other outside of the game. No need to rub salt in any hurt, no need to be a d-bag. It's why the players shake hands or now, elbow bump each other.

Why should us fans be any different than the guys we cheer for?!

PS: Torts better never stop being Torts. Love that guy.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Aha, female. Well that explains things. As a man, I can explain some things to you about hockey little missy.

*wink*
I grew up in MN, playing pond hockey on the great lake they call Gitche Gummee (honestly, I probably played, "fell-on-her-as@" more than hockey :laugh:)

One look at the mains suggests you're right.
that's unfortunate because last year when your team kicked my team's breezers all over the ice, I DID come here and congrat you on games well played and well coached; here and on Twitter

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’m sit here unhappy that the series ended. This was a game I thought was a W with 10 to go. Being realistic, we played two of the best offenses in the league yet we kept their offenses running on low octane. We can D up and goalie up with about anyone. We forecheck well but just lack playmaking and finishing with some guys playing a line up from where they should.

This season entertained me a lot. What we did with a depleted roster was shocking - not o e many teams could replicate. Overall, I’m more optimistic about next season than many because I think Jarmo will make a big move to address my aforementioned needs.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I’m sit here unhappy that the series ended. This was a game I thought was a W with 10 to go. Being realistic, we played two of the best offenses in the league yet we kept their offenses running on low octane. We can D up and goalie up with about anyone. We forecheck well but just lack playmaking and finishing with some guys playing a line up from where they should.

This season entertained me a lot. What we did with a depleted roster was shocking - not o e many teams could replicate. Overall, I’m more optimistic about next season than many because I think Jarmo will make a big move to address my aforementioned needs.
This... except I’m not confident Jarmo makes the “big move” ...

It’ll be too easy to rest on maybe a couple minor moves and the trademarked “let the young talent grow”

Reactions: Fro

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah but this is a post-game presser, not a post-season presser.

Obviously, I understand the ramifications of today's loss, but that doesn't make the concepts equal. I would expect the organization will have some sort of exit press availabilities in the coming days.

That said, he should probably do better in this setting, but it needs to be better and appropriate to the setting on the reporters' end, too. And I'm a staunch defender of journalists.

I'll be disappointed if they don't do an exit presser, I do like it when Torts is more relaxed and gives real responses.

I think the post-elimination presser is obviously meant to gather more raw emotion, and hard to see how Torts' storming out of it fails to do that. It's all part of the carnival with him and the league wants it that way. It's not like the reporters won't have enough to write about tonight.

Reactions: Fro and cslebn

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario

No, you don't. Believe me you do not want that.

I live in SW Ontario, so I'm surrounded by Leafs fans. The wrath and ridicule they get, especially when it's not warranted....I would never want to be a part of.
I was a Canucks fan before being a CBJ fan, and there was bouts of random hatred directed to them as well at times.....I don't want someone to strongly dislike me because of the team I support.

Respect is a much better trait to be known for than hatred.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

f*** being hated. Hate is angry jealousy; it's nothing special. You can be hated by everybody and still be crappy and worthless. I want this team and fanbase to be respected, and worthy of that respect. We just have to keep going and not coast.

There were plenty who were fearing a matchup with us, and there's a lot of Bolts fans out there who are exhaling in relief right now. It's not ideal - I'd rather they be shaking their heads and wondering when they're going to beat us someday - but it's still much better than folks coming up with stupid reasons to dismiss anything and everything we do.

Respect is something you fight to earn. Hate is worthless noise.

* * *​
agreed, the pious platitudes are unwelcome, at least in my opinion. I highly doubt we’d get the same responses if we won the series.
Except we did, from plenty of visiting Leafs fans.

Honoring one's opponent is IMO a win-win. If you lost, then it's recognizing how and where they're strong and what's necessary to better yourself. If you win, then it makes your win look all the better because it shows what you triumphed over.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
In review of these games, I feel like the things that need the most improvement are shots on net and being high quality (not at the goalie). It felt like so many high dandy chances were spoiled by missing the net.

The other thing was the transition game. When we got it deep and forechecked we did well. Fast breaks created some chances. But often we'd be hemmed in because of breakout issues and then just dump and change. We need a way to get out of our zone and into theirs.

Also credit to Tampa for having D back and sliding down the middle of the ice as well. It was funny when gord Miller said you have to hit the jackets because they like to skate during the game today.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
For me this was 100% the playoffs. I have thought about the crowd for two seconds since game one.

It sucks losing. I wasn't just "happy to be there". I think, and I know they think, that they could have gone further. It's a good team. They played well but shit happens.

The showings from our young players were very encouraging, I'm not worried one bit about the future.

MM, I share some of your thoughts.. but I think this is a dangerous outlook because if Mgmt and ownership feel this way there will be no transition, we will keep the same team and hope for better results because we got all this collective playoff experience. That is very dangerous because if you can't look at Tampa Bay and see the skill of Kuch, Point, Johnson, Stamkos and know that they will beat us in a series a large % of the time that isn't the result we need. We need offense so badly, there is a lot of potential to build around PLD but we need two Bread like players to elevate our two top lines. What is going on with Cam.. that needs to be figured out. What is going on with Anderson? Filigno, Jenner and Anderson need to be our heavy 3rd line. To accomplish that there are huge holes in our offensive play.

Watch the rest of the series and note how many times breakaways get buried (a very high %) then think back to all the times we come up empty. We need two scorers that improve our PP, that can increase possession by skating with the puck so we aren't so predictably dumping it every possession. We need two scorers that give both PP units a dangerous element. Our defense looks a hell of a lot better in a series with Tampa Bay if we have more possession and more scoring.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In review of these games, I feel like the things that need the most improvement are shots on net and being high quality (not at the goalie). It felt like so many high dandy chances were spoiled by missing the net.
More high quality shots are why I think @majormajor keeps going on and on about adding more/better playmakers. Snipers can't snipe if they're constantly running for cover.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
MM, I share some of your thoughts.. but I think this is a dangerous outlook because if Mgmt and ownership feel this way there will be no transition, we will keep the same team and hope for better results because we got all this collective playoff experience. That is very dangerous because if you can't look at Tampa Bay and see the skill of Kuch, Point, Johnson, Stamkos and know that they will beat us in a series a large % of the time that isn't the result we need. We need offense so badly, there is a lot of potential to build around PLD but we need two Bread like players to elevate our two top lines. What is going on with Cam.. that needs to be figured out. What is going on with Anderson? Filigno, Jenner and Anderson need to be our heavy 3rd line. To accomplish that there are huge holes in our offensive play.

Watch the rest of the series and note how many times breakaways get buried (a very high %) then think back to all the times we come up empty. We need two scorers that improve our PP, that can increase possession by skating with the puck so we aren't so predictably dumping it every possession. We need two scorers that give both PP units a dangerous element. Our defense looks a hell of a lot better in a series with Tampa Bay if we have more possession and more scoring.

I think mgmt will go looking for upgrades hard. But looking at our future, I believe that "internal improvement" is almost always the most important thing and more important than acquisitions. Even adding a topliner wouldn't necessarily make as big a difference as Texier and Foudy and Peeke taking a step. We wouldn't have gotten anywhere in this postseason if Werenski and Dubois didn't improve massively, yet no one is talking about that. It's all woe is us and I hate that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad