Confirmed with Link: CBJ signs Torts to 1-year extension through 18-19

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Congrats Torts, well deserved.

Smart move by the FO to only extend it a year. If there teams still performing well at the end extend it a few more years.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Likewise, except that that first sentence would be a massive understatement on my part. ;)

Likewise.

I would like to add, and I've posted this before, that Coach Tortorella has not been the kind of coach here that he has in the past, which I found so objectionable. I'm willing to eat my crow such as it is, but it's at best a partial serving.

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Wanted torts the whole time. I wanted him as a coach when he was in NYR because he's the kind of coach I had that made me want to play better and he's the kind of coach I am with my baseball teams so I like his style. I'm ok with the term because he's only been here a year and a half. Once he has shown the ability to keep being a winner he gets the term.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I guess you could says tort was reformed

754.gif

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches

Here's the best rundown on NHL coaching salaries/length of contracts that I can find. It's not quite up to date (see Arizona).

Standard coaching packages are 3,4 or 5 years with Babcock's 8 year deal being the longest. Arizona will be paying Tippett through 2020-21 and the Claude Julien deal looks like an anchor for Montreal (more due to how lousy the team will probably start being, not him).

Torts through 2018-19 sounds right. Doing the one year extension at a time seems to be sound at this point in his career.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
Woody Hayes never worked on anything other than a 1 year contract with OSU. I believe that was by his choice, basically putting himself on a perpetual "prove-it" bridge contract.

Different time, different attitude.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
We've tended to run on 1 year deals for our HC's. I'm interested to see what next season will bring.

My only recommendation for Torts is not to be his own worst enemy. He tends to do that and makes it harder on himself than it really needs to be.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I really like the idea of 1-year deals for hockey coaches. Way too much can happen year-to-year, so this provides flexibility for both parties involved.

Columbus' ESPN Radio have been trashing this deal, calling the Jarmo and Co. stingy. This gets me really frustrated, as Rothman, Carpenter and Thitoff have almost zero knowledge of the business side of hockey...they also have very limited knowledge of the game in general. We need some better "analysts" to chime in for our local ESPN radio.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Columbus' ESPN Radio have been trashing this deal, calling the Jarmo and Co. stingy. We need some better "analysts" to chime in for our local ESPN radio.

It's ESPN; they are dying on the vine. I didn't realize that anyone looks to ESPN for anything hockey related.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think a 2 yr extension sends a better message to both the coach and the players. I am not a fan of longer deals but he did just win the Jack Adams. Of course he agreed to it so maybe he doesn't want to be tied down for too long either.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
It's ESPN; they are dying on the vine. I didn't realize that anyone looks to ESPN for anything hockey related.

I never do, it just so happens that the afternoon shows on The Fan sometimes mention CBJ happenings. Just a few weeks ago after the expansion draft, "The Shark" lead off his show saying that we lost Lukas Karlsson to the Golden Knights :laugh:

:help:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I think a 2 yr extension sends a better message to both the coach and the players. I am not a fan of longer deals but he did just win the Jack Adams. Of course he agreed to it so maybe he doesn't want to be tied down for too long either.

He's going to be 60, who knows how much longer he wants to coach?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Surprised by this. I thought a 2 year deal was warranted and surprised he accepted a one year contract.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

I realize the comparison I'm about to give is apples and oranges, but.......

A number of people on this forum don't like Aaron Portzline's coverage, commentary and analysis. They say his sources are weak or non-existant. And yet that man has lived at Nationwide Arena and is in community with Hockey News writers, Sirius XM Hockey Channel and NHL Channel.

Now the local ESPN outlet makes a comment about hockey and somebody shares it to discuss?

Laughable.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
He may not be the best coach we will ever have, but he is the best coach we've ever had to date.

Well deserved. I like the way the boys play for him and he also entertains me as a fan with his demeanor and bluntness.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
This tells me a couple of things.

Number one, JD, and JK aren't expecting a repeat of last season. I think they expect to make the play-offs, but I don't think they believe that the stars align like they did last season for 108 points.

Number two, Torts still has a lot to prove. In other words because of how everything went last season, and probably won't go this season, then let's see how Torts coaching goes in a more normal type of season.

And let's not forget the losing streak at the end of last season, and the early exit from the play-offs. If the team does big things this coming season, then I think Torts gets a better extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad