Confirmed with Link: CBJ Signs Marcus Bjork (1 year ELC, RHD)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Plan the parade! This is the big deal we've been waiting for. I can't believe they waited this long.
trouble.gif

Reactions: Xoggz22

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
TBH I haven't seen the guy play. Just harsh reaction when I see Jarmo signed another Euro. Also said I'll play the wait and see game. Who knows maybe he becomes the next Lidstrom. I understand this is likely a depth signing and that's fine, I know Jarmo is doing his job. A one year deal seems like a "see if you can cut it" in the NHL or we'll let you go back home type of deal that we've seen before.

I can't wait for the mundane offseason stuff to end and for the hopeful "big time" moves to start.
Gotta feeling you're gonna be disappointed.. I don't really see any big moves happening this summer. Jarmo isn't the one to force big moves and he's going to think long term which means unless we're getting a u25 player whose signed long-term, we're not dealing 6OA.

I feel like we as Jackets fans have been somewhat spoiled with big trades(not for the best)

Nash, Saad(x2), Panarin, Laine, Jones.

Sometimes the best path forward is to keep who you have, let them develop and continue to build up the stockpile of prospects.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8 and VT

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Gotta feeling you're gonna be disappointed.. I don't really see any big moves happening this summer. Jarmo isn't the one to force big moves and he's going to think long term which means unless we're getting a u25 player whose signed long-term, we're not dealing 6OA.

I feel like we as Jackets fans have been somewhat spoiled with big trades(not for the best)

Nash, Saad(x2), Panarin, Laine, Jones.

Sometimes the best path forward is to keep who you have, let them develop and continue to build up the stockpile of prospects.
I could probably handle that if the organization is upfront about it. Don't make vague insinuations like big changes are on the horizon. I have more confidence around the draft than I ever do at the trade deadline. I think that Jarmo made chicken salad out of chicken s**t with the Jones trade last year, so I'm waiting to see what happens. He can't complain about not having the pieces. He's got plenty of picks, prospects and cap space to make something happen.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I could probably handle that if the organization is upfront about it. Don't make vague insinuations like big changes are on the horizon. I have more confidence around the draft than I ever do at the trade deadline. I think that Jarmo made chicken salad out of chicken s**t with the Jones trade last year, so I'm waiting to see what happens. He can't complain about not having the pieces. He's got plenty of picks, prospects and cap space to make something happen.
When did he say big changes are coming? He basically says the same thing every single off-season. We're gonna explore all options but we're not gonna give up picks/prospects unless it's for someone who can help and would be apart of our long term plans.

Reactions: majormajor

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'll say he belongs in the NHL. Probably more than some of the players who have been on the team. Small sample but so far he looks to be solid. I kept my eye on him in last night's game. He seems to be trending towards remaining in the top 6 even if everyone was healthy.

Reactions: I3LI3

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Who would you have him playing over?

He hasn't looked good defensively to me. And really didn't look right in his brief PP opportunity. I'm in no rush for judgment either way, not ready to say he should be playing over anyone yet.
Think hes taken over beyreuthers spot at the first call up. Outside of that... Not much...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Think hes taken over beyreuthers spot at the first call up. Outside of that... Not much...

I mean Bayreuther ain't playing bad now either. I think he and Bjork have been similar. I'd say somewhat similar styles too - good size and strength, decent puck skill, slow and missing defensive assignments a bit too often.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

He hasn't looked good defensively to me. And really didn't look right in his brief PP opportunity. I'm in no rush for judgment either way, not ready to say he should be playing over anyone yet.
While it has been only 3 games and +/- is an overrated stat, he is +4 and 1 of only 2 players on the + side of that stat.

He seems to be doing the right things. Being on the + side of +/- when the team has allowed 12 goals in those 3 games is no easy task. It is early but it seems like he does a good job of getting the puck moving the right direction and doesn't appear to be a defensive liability so far that I have noticed.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Other than Gavy, he's been our best defenseman the past two games. Extremely small sample size but it's better than coming up to NHL and being awful.

If he keeps playing like this other people will start to notice and get on board. For the people who don't think he's been playing well, I'm not sure what games you're watching. He's been solid, especially being on the top pair.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I don't think Bjork necessarily plays over any of Boqvist, Blankenburg or Peeke (or Gudbranson) but I think he's a serviceable #6 or good #7 guy to have. Looks like an NHL player to me.

Not saying you move another guy to keep Bjork, but I think the difference between Bjork and someone else on the third pair (or as the #7) is marginal enough that it makes moving someone else easier.

Reactions: CBJx614

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't think Bjork necessarily plays over any of Boqvist, Blankenburg or Peeke (or Gudbranson) but I think he's a serviceable #6 or good #7 guy to have. Looks like an NHL player to me.

Not saying you move another guy to keep Bjork, but I think the difference between Bjork and someone else on the third pair (or as the #7) is marginal enough that it makes moving someone else easier.
It depends on who is on the roster. I'm not sold that Boqvist will ever pan out and Blankenburg can't avoid getting injured.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He has a ways to go defensively but I have prefered his game to any of our D except Werenski, Blankenburg, and maybe Gavrikov

Reactions: MoeBartoli

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Other than Gavy, he's been our best defenseman the past two games. Extremely small sample size but it's better than coming up to NHL and being awful.

If he keeps playing like this other people will start to notice and get on board. For the people who don't think he's been playing well, I'm not sure what games you're watching. He's been solid, especially being on the top pair.

I tend to agree with nearly every single one of your posts, this one is absolutely no exception.

Reactions: Columbus Jack

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Bjork has looked...competent? Which is certainly saying something on this team.

Pretty nice free agent pickup. Maybe he's a late bloomer and can be a #4-5 Dman for a good stretch. I'd certainly take him in the lineup over Bean and Gudbranson at this point.

Problem is, of course, this team is locked in with Werenski & Gudbranson for multiple seasons beyond this year, Peeke has a three-year deal that kicks in next season, and there's the expectation that Jiricek, Ceulemans, and Mateychuk (to say nothing of Knazko or Svozil) will be pushing for roster spots in the next year or two. So it'll be interesting to see if he can carve out a roster spot or if he's going to be lost in the numbers crunch.

Reactions: Monk

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm still in wait and see mode with Bjork. He's calm with the puck so that's great. It seems to be what we need right now.

It is strange that he's the guy with the puck on his stick now - in Sweden he has 33 pts in his last 111 SHL games. So he wasn't great offensively there or wasn't used for offense. Maybe he's developed it late. And he is somewhat below average defensively at the NHL level. So beyond keeping him in the org as a spare, I'm not sure what to think or how he fits. Right now, if I had to guess, it's something closer to right side Bayreuther.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad