Confirmed with Link: CBJ sign Lukas Sedlak to 1 year extension

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/735567809477021697

I never bought into the hype some of the posters had for him, as he just didn't seem to stand out in the glut, but he's having a monster playoffs.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I was very impressed with the way Sedlak played in the first game against the Ontario Reign. Several times he had breakaways, including on the PK. Great at face-offs, very active in both the offensive and defensive zones. My only complaint was several times he was distracted behind the play with non-calls. He looked like a player who would be able to fit on the CBJ 4th line.

His turnaround has been amazing and whatever the Monster coaching staff and CBJ player development staff did, then it's a good sign for the organization. Sedlak reaching his potential is fantastic, but if they can do the same for Rychel or castoffs from other teams that can be picked up on the cheap, then the Jackets can keep churning out prospects to the NHL.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I guess the organization places more weight on the last 25 games than his first 100.
I'd feel that way if this was something other than a one-year two-way contract. Maybe he's put it all together - if he has, then it'd be silly to give him up. If he hasn't and this was just a fluke, then we walk away next year and there's no harm done.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I guess the organization places more weight on the last 25 games than his first 100.

Sedlak did play well defensively in those first 100 games. He's been one of the key penalty killers for Springfield and Lake Erie. That alone isn't enough to get him resigned since he didn't show much upside. There's the perception that you can teach an offensive player to play more defensively, win faceoffs, etc but you can't teach offensive skill.

Some times young players come in and know if they are going to make the NHL, it's as a bottom 6 role, so they work on developing those skills or impressing the coaching staff with how much "energy" they put into hitting and forechecking and not actually trying be an offensive player.

It's a 2-way deal and he's a solid player for the Monsters next season. But he fills a need a center for the Jackets.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
True, true. It is a low-risk contract.

Wonder what that means for Chaput & Broadhurst (who has been mostly at LW I believe). I think Tynan is set to be an RFA this summer as well.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I like the one year contract extension. Pretty much no harm in giving him an extra year to see if he can repeat his performance from the end of this season. In my mind, he certainly deserves it

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

They should place more weight on that. They are signing him for next year, so they should place more value on what he is doing now than what he did before. Players develop. They should be playing better as they get more experience.

He earned this contract. Now, it is up to him to prove that he deserves another one. I think he could be a 4th line C for us (maybe even a 3rd line C), but it will be tough for him with all of the other players we have. He should be a great guy to have in the AHL and be someone we can call up if we need someone for a few games.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
They should place more weight on that. They are signing him for next year, so they should place more value on what he is doing now than what he did before. Players develop. They should be playing better as they get more experience.

He earned this contract. Now, it is up to him to prove that he deserves another one. I think he could be a 4th line C for us (maybe even a 3rd line C), but it will be tough for him with all of the other players we have. He should be a great guy to have in the AHL and be someone we can call up if we need someone for a few games.

Pretty much my thought. He has been on fire for the last little while, but I need to see this on a consistent basis before I pronounce him NHL caliber.

DrunkElkCZ

Apr 16, 2012
Brno, Czech Rep.
In my opinion he wont be a career AHL player... He will try to break to the NHL to be that 4th or 3th line C... and if it doesnt work he will go to the Czech League or to the KHL

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Production generally garners opportunity. The Blue Jackets have had a few AHL leading scorers that never got the chance to play in the NHL, but those weren't guys they drafted.

Didn't Sedlak play Canadian Jr's the year prior to being drafted to get accustomed to NA hockey?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Production generally garners opportunity. The Blue Jackets have had a few AHL leading scorers that never got the chance to play in the NHL, but those weren't guys they drafted.

Didn't Sedlak play Canadian Jr's the year prior to being drafted to get accustomed to NA hockey?
nope, he was drafted out of Czech then played in the QMJHL in draft+1 and +2 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad