Confirmed with Link: CBJ Sign David Savard

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Really impressive what your GM is getting players to buy into, which is disappearing around the league, in the bridge contract. These deals that take a player right to the cusp of their unrestricted status and pay them under market value, but not an insulting amount, to do so. It's a brilliant way to manage the cap, but the players have to buy into it too. It shows you have some players that believe in the direction this team is going and where they personally are going and that belief is a hard thing to create.

Hockey players that are scared they can't replicate their good seasons are the guys who go out trying to get 5 or 6 year deals after their breakout season. It looks like Johansen is trying that tactic. He needs to look at what the guys around him are doing and invest into his own future and the future of the team and take a shorter term deal so this group can win together and grow together.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Really impressive what your GM is getting players to buy into, which is disappearing around the league, in the bridge contract. These deals that take a player right to the cusp of their unrestricted status and pay them under market value, but not an insulting amount, to do so. It's a brilliant way to manage the cap, but the players have to buy into it too. It shows you have some players that believe in the direction this team is going and where they personally are going and that belief is a hard thing to create.

Hockey players that are scared they can't replicate their good seasons are the guys who go out trying to get 5 or 6 year deals after their breakout season. It looks like Johansen is trying that tactic. He needs to look at what the guys around him are doing and invest into his own future and the future of the team and take a shorter term deal so this group can win together and grow together.

Agreed, on both parts. Thanks for stopping by and making a good point!

There's nothing wrong with what PK Subban did in Montreal. He's going to get his wallet lined big time, but he showed them over the course of two more years that he's worth it. Now the Canadiens can feel a little better in investing towards such a big deal.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Agreed, on both parts. Thanks for stopping by and making a good point!

There's nothing wrong with what PK Subban did in Montreal. He's going to get his wallet lined big time, but he showed them over the course of two more years that he's worth it. Now the Canadiens can feel a little better in investing towards such a big deal.

A much bigger deal! They could have had him at $5m long term, now it will be $8m!

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

Good post. For me it puts things in a bit of a different perspective. For what it's worth, I think there is a lot of belief in this organization by the players, which I think showed in the competitiveness of the Pens series. My hope would be that's true, and a lot of these guys feel their careers are better off for being part of this team.

That said, we'll see what happens when these contracts are up and it's time to sign UFAs. Hopefully their belief will be rewarded- if their performance warrants it- and this team isn't seen as a rip off.

Regarding Johansen, though, I think grouping him in with his peers strictly speaking is unfair. His impact on this team is orders of magnitude greater. If (and I say if) Jarmo is dealing with him in the same way he is with other young RFAs and offering lowball money, then my previously stated concern is still an issue for me. Without knowing the offer, though, it's hard to say, and if Joey is upset at a bridge contract itself based on term, then that becomes a different discussion.

I do think Joey is entitled to expect a long-term, high dollar contract based on his performance and not because he's afraid of not being able to duplicate his numbers. He was in a lot of ways one of the most important players on the team.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
A much bigger deal! They could have had him at $5m long term, now it will be $8m!

On the other hand, you risk him being unhappy for a longer time when he begins to feel underpaid for his performance. It's not simple, there are benefits and drawbacks on both sides, no matter which way it goes! The goal of good management and competent representation should be to minimize the downside for both team and player, the big money is going to be there for the top players, no matter how it's spaced out.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
On the other hand, you risk him being unhappy for a longer time when he begins to feel underpaid for his performance. It's not simple, there are benefits and drawbacks on both sides, no matter which way it goes! The goal of good management and competent representation should be to minimize the downside for both team and player, the big money is going to be there for the top players, no matter how it's spaced out.

There's benefits and drawbacks to both sides, but a player being underpaid on a longer term deal is all good for the team. Of course Tavares knows he could be paid twice as much on the open market, but there's no way that happens, so he deals with it.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
There's benefits and drawbacks to both sides, but a player being underpaid on a longer term deal is all good for the team. Of course Tavares knows he could be paid twice as much on the open market, but there's no way that happens, so he deals with it.

Yes, Tavares deal is pretty good now. But he still is going to be a free agent when he is expected to be in his prime around age 27. Although the Isles did OK on the current deal, they are probably going to have to pay through their nose to keep him. Same thing is going to happen with Hall in Edmonton. Most people who prefer a long-term second contract over a bridge don't seem to mention what will happen in the third contract when they argue it is a more economical choice.

If you have a franchise player that you want to try and keep for a whole career, I still think the ideal contracts from a GM perspective (under the current CBA) is a 3 year (ELC) + 3 year (bridge) + 8 year (RFA contract), as opposed to 3 year (ELC) + 6 to 8 year (RFA) + take your chance on UFA contract.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Yes, Tavares deal is pretty good now. But he still is going to be a free agent when he is expected to be in his prime around age 27. Although the Isles did OK on the current deal, they are probably going to have to pay through their nose to keep him. Same thing is going to happen with Hall in Edmonton. Most people who prefer a long-term second contract over a bridge don't seem to mention what will happen in the third contract when they argue it is a more economical choice.

If you have a franchise player that you want to try and keep for a whole career, I still think the ideal contracts from a GM perspective (under the current CBA) is a 3 year (ELC) + 3 year (bridge) + 8 year (RFA contract), as opposed to 3 year (ELC) + 6 to 8 year (RFA) + take your chance on UFA contract.

I agree, that's the ideal. Now to see if JK can manage to reach that goal!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad