Confirmed with Link: CBJ Sign Daniel Zaar to ELC

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Wonder if he'll stay in Sweden for more years or give the AHL a go

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Good news. I figured he would get signed. If a team wants to sign a prospect, they usually do.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Wonder if he'll stay in Sweden for more years or give the AHL a go

Zaar has signed a contract with the SHL team, Luleå HF. A lot of SHL contracts have NHL out clauses but not AHL but I'm not sure how much that changes now that he has an NHL contract over it and the NHL team assigns him to the AHL. He's only 20, so spending another year in Sweden playing at the highest level for a team that is not only expected to win but expected to dominate isn't a bad idea.

Luleå is the northern most team in the SHL and it's cold and dark and has a subarctic climate. Spending winter in Springfield rather than there would be a gift, but the things people do to play hockey.

Edited to add: There's an article on SVT.se that says Zaar is expected to be loaned to Luleå: http://www.svt.se/sport/ishockey/skrev-pa-for-nhl-lag-i-dag-men-lanas-ut-till-lulea

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Here's the translations of what Zaar told STV.se (Swedish tv network)
http://www.svt.se/sport/ishockey/skrev-pa-for-nhl-lag-i-dag-men-lanas-ut-till-lulea

- Det känns jättebra. Att få ett NHL-kontrakt är något man alltid har drömt om, säger han till SVT Sport.

– Jag kommer vara utlÃ¥nad till LuleÃ¥. Jag känner att det är bäst för min utveckling, säger han till SVT Sport.

– Eller, det är inte helt klart. Jag kommer ju Ã¥ka över till deras developent camp, men sen Ã¥ker jag förmodligen tillbaka till LuleÃ¥. Men saker kan ju ändras.

"It feels really great. To get an NHL contract is something one always have dreamed of," he (Zaar) says to SVT sport.

"I will be loaned to Luleå. I feel that it is best for my development," says he to SVT Sport. "But it is not completely clear. I will go over to their development camp but later I probably go back to Luleå. But things can always change."

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
http://www.svt.se/sport/ishockey/skrev-pa-for-nhl-lag-i-dag-men-lanas-ut-till-lulea

"It feels really great. To get an NHL contract is something one always have dreamed of," he (Zaar) says to SVT sport.

"I will be loaned to Luleå. I feel that it is best for my development," says he to SVT Sport. "But it is not completely clear. I will go over to their development camp but later I probably go back to Luleå. But things can always change."

Thanks

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I feel that's best for him. Next year he can maybe even compete for a CBJ job, but for now he's best in SWE

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Good stuff, thanks JFW!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The more skilled guys in the mix the better. Also allows for more focus on drafting defense.

Not picking on your comment in particular, but you never can ever have too many 6th rounders signed. :sarcasm:

Maybe he is a Datsyuk or Zetterberg in waiting. Who knows? But I get a kick out of the fans reaction to signing all these low round draft choices.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The more skilled guys in the mix the better. Also allows for more focus on drafting defense.

I disagree. You should never focus on a specific position early in drafts. You just don't know what your needs will be in 3 or 4 years. You need to draft who you think is the best. Obviously, what position they play becomes a factor if you have 2 players ranked about the same.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Not picking on your comment in particular, but you never can ever have too many 6th rounders signed. :sarcasm:

Maybe he is a Datsyuk or Zetterberg in waiting. Who knows? But I get a kick out of the fans reaction to signing all these low round draft choices.

It's one thing when a player like this gets signed ... it's another thing when a player like this gets signed after progressively getting better and better since we drafted him.

What I'm saying is, this isn't Steven Goertzen. There's real potential with Zaar.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Actually, your sarcastic comment is probably true. Because:

1) To SL's point about not all 6th rounders being created equal, and when a guy is in your system and progressing, you should want to keep him around when you can.

2) It's about building an organ-eye-zation. Sure, your first look is always to the big club, but even if Zaar tops out at "reliable call-up" on a good CBJ team, meaning he can be relied upon as a depth player when injuries happen and in particular because he's a guy who has come through your system and knows what will be asked of him, that's a win from a sixth-rounder.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I disagree. You should never focus on a specific position early in drafts. You just don't know what your needs will be in 3 or 4 years. You need to draft who you think is the best. Obviously, what position they play becomes a factor if you have 2 players ranked about the same.

Someone recently posted a video where either J.D. or Jarmo was talking about the draft. They basically said what you said. Always draft the best player available with the first pick. I can't remember if he said that was only for the first round or for the first couple of rounds. Then as you get deeper in the draft, they said you can then start to draft from position of need.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Someone recently posted a video where either J.D. or Jarmo was talking about the draft. They basically said what you said. Always draft the best player available with the first pick. I can't remember if he said that was only for the first round or for the first couple of rounds. Then as you get deeper in the draft, they said you can then start to draft from position of need.

I know Jarmo's point heading into last year's draft was that he wanted his list to be in order, because when they came up to pick, they would be picking the next player on their list, regardless of where the media or anyone else had him. Which would explain the choice of a guy like Dano.

Something along the lines of "You take the highest ranked player left on your list"

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Yay! I've been a cheerleader for this guy for years. Let's see what he can do! :handclap:

Indeed, I'm glad he seems interested in playing hockey in NA at some point. I'm eager to see him back at camp this summer.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think I should keep this on the clipboard to copy and paste every time someone complains about Jack Skille not getting called up enough.

Well, other than it not being related to DSL's post after the first sentence and a half I think you hit a home run. We didn't draft him and he was the 7th overall pick. I think people were looking for a bit more than a depth call-up when they drafted him.

The Panthers of all teams let him go, he signed a two-way deal with us, and he survived waivers last season. If you put it in that context then it follows a bit more.

As far as Zaar. Meh. Talk to me again when he's playing in NA. He had a fine season over there last year. Glad he's in the system. We'll see if he plays in NA or if he's one of those that just comes over to camp and heads back over if he doesn't make our roster out of camp.

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007

Simply finding a report on Daniel Zaar was impossible in 2012. This year, I know that at least one other scout recommended his team use their second-round pick on Zaar if he ended up re-entering the draft.

I'm not very familiar with the person who said this, so I suppose it could be his particular sense of humor that went over my head. But it's still fairly lofty praise from someone whose scouting director is known to be very conservative when it comes to predictions.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Simply finding a report on Daniel Zaar was impossible in 2012.

This is just weird that the SuperElit league is scouted so poorly. It's not like Zaar was playing for an obscure team at a low level in Sweden in the 2011-12 season. It was his second season in the top junior league in Sweden and his team, Rögle J20, was the top team in the southern division in the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad